backback hunting

Any camping and hunting gear that doesn't fall directly under the Traditional banner, but is complementary to what we do: tents, stoves, 4 wheel drives & tyres, wearable gear etc.

Moderator: Moderators

TRASH

backback hunting

#1 Post by TRASH » Wed Nov 05, 2003 2:45 pm

Gday Fella's

Just a quick one about hunting out of a backpack for an extended period of time 3days + as some of the trashies are into that sort of thing.
Have any of you fella's come up with agood way of carrying your extra arrows.
At present we mark the arrow where the fletch goes and don't
fletch them until needed just have the head and nocks glued on. We use the new tape,not glue so between 2 people you can do a reasonable job.
Any advances on that or have you got special holders made for your arrows i think there called quivers that attach to your back packs.
TOTALLY ROOTED AND STILL HUNTING

erron

#2 Post by erron » Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:17 pm

i think there called quivers
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tuffcity

#3 Post by Tuffcity » Thu Nov 06, 2003 4:17 am

I've used a cardboard roll that will hold about 6 or 7 fletched arrows, if you stuff them in from each end (ie: 3 fletched arrows on one end, 3 from the other). My pack has a sleeve designed for holding skiis or other wide, long things so the tube fit nicely in it. I can then pack stuff around the tube and the feathers don't get crushed. Alternately you could try one of the tubes they put blue prints or posters in, they don't weigh much and can be strapped to the outside of a pack. If water proofing is an issues just slide the whole business into a plastic bag first.

RC
That which doesn't kill me better run for cover...

MICC

#4 Post by MICC » Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:26 pm

Yer Trash, bow quivers and cardboard rolls, a 3" roll fits down along a backpack and is easy to tie on.
I believe there a bloke up your way called Ferral Dave, and he's got a design for take down arrows.....I hope this is of some use.
MICC

snakeeater

#5 Post by snakeeater » Wed Nov 19, 2003 5:55 am

Have you thought about using the long boxes that finished arrows come in when they are shipped to stores. You get a dozen in there and it comes with little holders to keep them apart from each other. Nice and quiet, light, and designed for the purpose. It should also strap nicely to the side of your pack.

erron

#6 Post by erron » Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:04 pm

Welcome to Ozbow Snakeeater!

Good idea about the boxes the stores get. I wonder if anyone in OZ has tried getting them off a store, or do they just get thrown out?

Erron

Buford

#7 Post by Buford » Wed Nov 19, 2003 4:36 pm

those sort of boxes arn't hard to come by, things like newspaper roll is shipped in them. as for holders inside, how about a bit of firm packing foam cut to fit inside the box with slots cut into it from the outside edges to slot your arras into?
Stupid TV! Be more funny!

Penno

#8 Post by Penno » Tue Nov 25, 2003 11:12 pm

I am in the sign industry,and all the vinyl we use comes on heavy cardboard tubes we return them to the supplier and they either recycle the or toss them out,why not call into the nearest sign shop and i am sure they will give you as many as you want standard size is 1120mm in width,hope this helps.
Penno