Camp stretcher

Any camping and hunting gear that doesn't fall directly under the Traditional banner, but is complementary to what we do: tents, stoves, 4 wheel drives & tyres, wearable gear etc.

Moderator: Moderators

RecurveRon

Camp stretcher

#1 Post by RecurveRon » Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:12 pm

Been using one of those X legged aluminum stretchers now for 2 years, and just want to say how great they are.Started of just sleeping in a tent on the ground, then went through the range of matt's from foam cells to the new inflatable ones,then a swag with the thicker mattress and still never got the best night sleep, would sometimes wake with a crook back or sore neck. Probably a bit to do with age but now we set up the swag on top of one of the foldable ali camp beds put it under a tarp and my sleep has improved so much to the fact that its detrimental to my hunting as i always seem to sleep in nowday's :) . What are your sleeping arrangments while camping?
Attachments
camping 002 (Small).jpg
camping 002 (Small).jpg (61.67 KiB) Viewed 9235 times

Coach

#2 Post by Coach » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:52 pm

I use a Coleman self inflating mattress ,, but your set up looks much better :D I have found as I get older ,,I just don't handle the rocks in the hip as well as I used to :lol: I plan on getting one of the really thick ones , as I slept on one not long ago and found it better than my bed . Not the sort of thing you take on a hike though :wink:

Mick Smith

#3 Post by Mick Smith » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:14 pm

Ron

Like both you and Coach, I feel that I need a bit more beneath me these days too. I went down the self inflating mattress road myself and they were OK, a lot better than the bare ground at least. Mine are very thin and only 2/3rd length, designed for backpacking. When they're fully inflated, they're only an inch thick.

I still use these self inflating mattresses, but now as a mattress for my camp stretchers, which are almost identical to your's. I've got enough for the whole family.

Camping beneath a big tarp has a lot of good things going for it. It's a great way to camp in really hot weather. Your swag would protect you from mossys, where as I just use a mossy net. I plan to buy myself one or two of those free standing mossy nets that are shaped like a small dome tent. They're just the right size to accept a camp stretcher. I reckon that this combo would be perfect for those summer western plains pig hunting camps. 8)

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

RecurveRon

#4 Post by RecurveRon » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:26 pm

We used the mossie domes on the boat while in the NT Mick and for hot weather are ideal. My setup with the swag is mainly for Vic and sambar hunting, i have an old Fairydown tent that is mesh with a waterproof base that no longer keeps out water :) that i put on the stretcher for hot weather hunting. Thats the only problem with the setup Coach, is not real lightwieght so cant pack it in anywhere, but hunting from the boat or car its fantastic.

losty

#5 Post by losty » Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:55 pm

i use a mosquito proof hammock under a hootchie..off the ground out of the rain and im supirsed at how flat i can lie in it. Before using the hammock thought ited be uncomfortable and leave me all bent and twisted but that didnt turn out the case. and its all only 1kg for packing
There's no adventure in knowing where you are.

bsrecurve

#6 Post by bsrecurve » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:01 pm

i've been thinking about getting a decent hammock for a while.
what kind of hammock is it losty?
got any pics?

woody

#7 Post by woody » Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:27 pm

G'day Ron,
The camp stretchers are a good idea, I always thought my swag was good, but the strecher defineately improves the comfort.

It is a lot easier to be able to sit and get dressed on also. John and his mate Kelvin had them in a camp a couple of years back and I try and remember to put the fold up strecher in the truck now.

An empty 2 litre plastic milk bottle with screw on lid is a handy accesory for the swag also (ensuite) :D
Three things you can never take back, time past, an angry word and a well sped arrow

RecurveRon

#8 Post by RecurveRon » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:02 am

G'day Woody, how goes it , had a hunt with the CV branch last week, (gun) 3 deer taken, will you be going to the next camp at bennies? Goto hate getting up in the middle of the night, seems to be more frequent these day's :(

woody

#9 Post by woody » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:23 am

Ron,
No mate , I dont think so. I have to renew my ADA membership, ( lapsed at the moment)

I went for a hunt with John up near Yea a few weeks back, since then he had an accident on the farm bike, and is now recovering from an achilles ligament injury, so I dont expect him to be striding the hills for awhile.

I saw 7 and was 60m from 3, but way too far for me :D

Enjoyed the walk and learned a lot, the legs stopped hurting by Wednesday, lol. :D

I seem to spend more time making broadheads than shooting them these days, skewed priorities methinks. :D
Three things you can never take back, time past, an angry word and a well sped arrow

RecurveRon

#10 Post by RecurveRon » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:09 am

Good to see your buisy and still able to get out now and then. Saw your pick on one of the deer sites, mean loking weapon your now carrying.Hope to see you at the gatta camp next year maybe.

losty

#11 Post by losty » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:45 pm

bsrecurve wrote:i've been thinking about getting a decent hammock for a while.
what kind of hammock is it losty?
got any pics?
it was an adventure force hammock off ebay. does the job though i like it. it cost me $30. The best ones though are hennesy hammocks but their obviously a bt more.

Lindsay

Re: Camp stretcher

#12 Post by Lindsay » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:09 pm

I use a Hennesy ultralight hammock, had it for 3years now best nights sleep I've ever had, waterproof insect proof,and off the ground. The only downsides are sometimes you have to be a little creative when it comes to setting it up and in colder climates you need a self inflating mattress or similar to insulate the underneath. These hammocks are asymetrical so you actually sleep very level. The whole outfit weighs 1.1kg and cost a shade under $300.00 worth every cent for a good nights sleep.
Cheers Lindsay
Dave Beeler Longbow 56" 60#
Kohannah Hunter T/D recurve 62" 56#
Motu Magnum R/D longbow 66" 74#

losty

#13 Post by losty » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:20 am

yeah ill be buying one when the funds are availible.

trash one

#14 Post by trash one » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:04 pm

There are about 8 of us around the ISA using SIAM hammocks both my wife and I love them, it's the best nights sleep I ever get, If we could we would have them set up in the bedroom, it would look a bit like Skipper and Gilligan.

CATCH YA
BUTCH

kimall

#15 Post by kimall » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:29 pm

I love my Hennessy.
Cheers KIM

stringnstik

#16 Post by stringnstik » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:52 pm

I guess I was lucky and have had a thermarest that I bought over 15 years ago. It was the full size version and now I also have the prolite4 regular which is a little smaller (when up) but folds down heaps! smaller. Its also thicker than most in that range. I have a similar v good quality sleeping bag which squiches up into a nothing sized ball and a one man tent (like a swag but much thinner and lighter). I have this gear due to hiking and kyaking/camping that I do and so far pretty much swear by it. The trick with self inflating mattress is to learn to sleep on your back not your side. Once you managed that its excellently comfy ;) and do not blow it up all the way so it has plenty of give.

all up the tent,sbag,thermarest and selfinflating pillow is about 3kg I also have and use a hammock sometimes..
"I am the arrow..the arrow is me...together as one...I fly to thee"
"the stick maybe crooked and the string hath no form,
then married by bowyer, transforms when first drawn"
"twang....thud"

longbowinfected

#17 Post by longbowinfected » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:43 pm

waterproof swag laid on the ground on top of a tailer made piece of carpet. 3 inch foam. light sleeping bag in case it gets chilly.....bare basics......cots and hammocks look great but not built for my weight....the ground is. I put up a tarp oversheet if it looks like raining. My daughter has the same rig.
Play hard, take medicinal anti freeze and sleep is no problem....I agree with the ensuite....hate being woken up by that cold feeling in the bladder..hate getting up until sun gets up. Swag has wall pockets for bibs n bobs including headlamp etc. I always set up a backpack/folding seat next to the swag.

I love those el cheapo aerosol gas cookers as in the photo...swear by them.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

dawallace45

#18 Post by dawallace45 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:23 am

I'm 6'1" and 108 kg , I just sold my Hennessy Hammock Expedition model because I'm getting a little on the big side for it , the expedition is rated for 6' and 115 kg , but the new hammock I intend to get is the Hennessy SAFARI DELUXE A-SYM HEX and it's made for over 6' and up to 160 kg and most of us are under that weight limit http://hennessyhammock.com/catalogue.html , there is also the fact that as we get older and fatter little things like bad backs and arthritis make it hard for us to sleep on the ground on any sort of mattress or swag , I know it does for me , back before I had arthritis and when I only weighed in at 92 kg I could sleep any where on any thing , now I have trouble sleeping any where even on my very expensive mattress at home , but I sleep like a baby in a hammock , I've been using hammocks for camping on and off for over 30 years and I just wouldn't be with out one now

With the hennessy I love the fact there isn't a zip to fail and that when using the snake skins the hammock can be put up or put away in about a minute or two

Hennessy have also come out with the SUPERSHELTER INSULATION 4 SEASON SYSTEM , this is available for most of their models , this puts a layer of insulation under the bottom of the hammock where it won't get crushed down and there for loose it's insulating properties
I know I sound like a advertisement for them but I love them , definitely the best way to sleep in the scrub or at the beach for that matter

David

When politicians pass laws that will be obeyed only by the law-abiding, they content themselves that
they have taken action.
As a consequence, while our leaders are absorbed with media interviews and mutual congratulations,
the original problems are left to fester.
Sanctimony never stopped a bullet, or prevented an overdose and no criminal has ever been
frightened by a photo-op...