Is this the perfect archer's hat?

Any camping and hunting gear that doesn't fall directly under the Traditional banner, but is complementary to what we do: tents, stoves, 4 wheel drives & tyres, wearable gear etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Mick Smith

Is this the perfect archer's hat?

#1 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:34 pm

As most of you know, I have a hat fetish. There's just that something about them. :D

I've been looking high and low for the 'perfect' archer's hat for many years now. I've bought many hats over the years and some are very good, others are a bit ridiculous, sad to say. :oops: :)

What constitutes the perfect archer's hat, you might say? Well, for a start it can't interfere with your draw. These nothing that will put you off your performance like your string making contact with your hat prior to release. It shoots your concentration to hell. So, if the perfect archer's hat has a brim, it's got to be small.

Does the perfect archer's hat need a brim? This has to be an unqualified 'yes', as most of us are fair skinned in a land designed for darker skin. Skin cancer is rampant in this country. Yes, I'd say a brim is mandatory, particularly in the warmer months. A brim is also handy when its raining in the cooler months, it keeps the rain off your glasses

I have a few cut down hats. I've cut the brims down on a number of felt hats and even a few baseball caps. Even with very small brims, you can sometimes make contact with the string, particularly if you happen to be using a longbow.

There's a couple of hats that I've used for years that are close to being perfect. They're 'Huntec' bush hats. These hats are made of canvas and are covered in a camo material. They have soft floppy brims, so even if you do make contact with your bow string, it's pretty much a non event, your concentration isn't interrupted much at all. The only trouble with these hats, is that they're camouflaged. Now, I'm not one of these people who frown upon camo, but there are times and places where it's not the best choice, like on a 3D course. You don't want to end up getting shot because other shooters didn't see you.

I've been looking for a hat that worked as well as my 'Huntec' hats, but something that wasn't camouflaged. I wanted something in a natural earthy tone that would blend into most surroundings, but also a hat that you could wear anywhere without a second thought.

I cut down a couple of my wide brimmed Akubra hats, in an attempt to find the perfect archer's hat. They worked out quite well, so well in fact that I've worn them to many club meeting and competitions, as well as out hunting. Every now and then, I'd make contact with the string though, enough to make me think twice about wearing them to an important comp or hunt. I still thought I was on the 'right' track though with this concept though.

Then I started thinking about one of those leather wide brimmed hats you often see people wearing. I thought leather would make a great traditional archer's hat. Traditional archer's have lots of stuff made of leather. I went out a bought myself one. The first thing that struck me was the heavy springy brim the hat had. These hats have a coiled steel spring sewn in around the outside of the brim, so they hold their shape properly. This heavy 'spring' had to go, there was no way this hat would make an archer's hat with the string banging against the metal edged brim all the time. I cut the steel enclosed brim off, leaving as much brim as possible. Unfortunately the entire brim of the hat just flopped down over my eyes without any support. :) At least my wife got a good laugh out of it.

I started to think of ways of supporting the brim. I wanted the brim supported and up and out of the way, yet I still wanted it to be soft and forgiving, like my canvas hats. I finally hit upon the idea of inserting some heavy 3mm round leather thonging around the edge and sewing the edge of the brim around it. Together, the sewn edge with the heavy thonging, should hold the brim up, yet remain flexible enough.

I tried using the wife's sewing machine, but after nearly burning it out and breaking a needle, I took the hat to my local cobbler to do the sewing. He charged me $5. I'm quite happy with the end result. The brim, although a bit ragged and rugged looking, works well. On the very odd occasion when I do make contact with the string, the brim just moves out of the way. I bearly even notice it.

I like it, it has character. 8)

Mick
Attachments
The perfect archer's hat.JPG
The perfect archer's hat.JPG (28.36 KiB) Viewed 8460 times
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

dartonian

#2 Post by dartonian » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:10 pm

Mick,
It was funny to read your post as I was sorting through some gear that hadnt been unpacked since our move and found my old favourite hat.
It actually looks very similar shape to yours but mine is a darker worn looking brown. It was bought commercially in the early eighties and marketed as an "Indiana Jones" replica hat. Like yours it has a quite narrow brim. It still occasionally makes string contact (especially with a long bow) but I just get in the habit of moving it to the back of my head before shooting.
With the exception of my "Indy" hat, i kinda gave up on hats & archery due to the many reasons that drove you to improvise your own design... It looks good, by the way!
Cheers,
Dartonian

Coach

#3 Post by Coach » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:36 am

Mick ,, you really need to get out hunting more 8)

Jimmy Alexander

#4 Post by Jimmy Alexander » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:55 pm

Your a funny guy Mick :lol:
Hat looks good though mate, it will go well with the bog man outfit :lol:
Twang

Sparra

#5 Post by Sparra » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:24 pm

:shock: :shock: Bored Mick????

Mick Smith

#6 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:26 pm

I posted this initial story with a certain amount of 'tongue in cheek' and a certain amount can be attributed to me being an anal sort of character. :D

I do think it's an important subject though. Let's face it, most of us should be wearing a hat, yet hats and shooting a bow and arrow can be an annoying combination. Archery is one field where the wrong choice of hat will have a negative effect on your performance, so if there's a good solution, why not take advantage of someone else's trials and tribulations?

Personally, I regard my hat as being every bit as important as my quiver. Make the wrong choice with either and it will be reflected in your results.

I was amazed when I went to the Leongatha shoot last summer. It was 40 degrees in the shade and the majority of people there weren't wearing hats. The same people will wonder why they have skin cancer later in life.
If you don't currently wear a good hat, particularly in the summer months, you're doing yourself a huge disfavour.

Oopps ... I'm getting anal again. :)

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Coach

#7 Post by Coach » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:43 pm

I was amazed when I went to the Leongatha shoot last summer. It was 40 degrees in the shade and the majority of people there weren't wearing hats
What ,, no period hats :shock: What were they thinking :!: How irresponsible 8) I cant believe they would promote such an irresponsible activity :roll:

MaylandL

#8 Post by MaylandL » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:29 pm

nice hat Mick :)
They'll never hit us from this dist....

longbow steve

#9 Post by longbow steve » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:12 am

Hi Mick, I like hats too :lol: I have a bucket hat for all occasions, I feel out of wack without somthing on my head when I am shooting.
I designed a club logo and had 50 bucket hats made up for our club, we look great at comps, at least I think so :lol: Steve

Mick Smith

#10 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:21 am

Steve

Bucket hats are good. They give excellent sun protection, yet are very unlikely to cause you problems when you're shooting. It was a good bit of thinking to have so many made up with your club's logo, not only would they look good, but they will also offer great sun protection. You've done your club members a huge favour.

I've been an outdoor worker all my life. I'm out there every working day, hail, rain or shine. Back in the old days we didn't worry about sun protection. We didn't give it much thought. Since then I've had two melanomas removed from the back of my neck, one was quite advanced, a level 3, not to mention a dozen or more lesser skin cancers that I've had removed. I take skin protection much more seriously these days, even though it's probably too late.

Mick

longbow steve

#11 Post by longbow steve » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:17 pm

I understand your desire to be covered up Mick. The backs of legs are also a hot spot for Melanoma. I have an ever increasing bald spot on my head now so a hat is always part of my attire. :) Steve

gundy

#12 Post by gundy » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:02 pm

heres my perfect hat mate;

:lol:

Actually, I got a wool "hat" in Melbourne last weekend, very much like the Fred bear style, not game to show you a photo however.... :oops:

Mick Smith

#13 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:13 pm

Gundy

I reckon that if you're not wearing a beanie in this Victorian weather, you don't own one.

Yes mate, every time I've been outside today (only to get wood for the fire), I have been correctly fitted out with my beanie (a polar fleece one). 8)

They are very good to wear at this time of year, not only are they the warmest hat you can wear, you can pull the hood of your rain jacket over the top of them. 8)

Mick

hellier

#14 Post by hellier » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:51 pm

where ever I lay my hat... :lol:
I'd love to have a battle of wits with you.....but you appear to be un-armed.....

DylanK

Re: Is this the perfect archer's hat?

#15 Post by DylanK » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:30 pm

Small rimmed straw hats for me during the day and a good beanie during the night in winter. Straw hat lets air pass through it cooling my head. It was $6 from the warehouse :D