What's best a swag or a tent?

Any camping and hunting gear that doesn't fall directly under the Traditional banner, but is complementary to what we do: tents, stoves, 4 wheel drives & tyres, wearable gear etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Mick Smith

What's best a swag or a tent?

#1 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:17 am

At the Ballarat traditional shoot last weekend I noticed a fairly even distribution of campers there used both swags and tents. The tents ranged from my tiny one man "Macpac" Ultralight to big family tents and the swags ranged from basic no frills models to the fancy ones that look a bit like little tents.

Personally, I prefer to sleep in a tent. My Macpac Ultralight has proved to be very versatile. It's at home in pouring rain, or a hot tropical night. It opens up to reveal one whole side made of flyscreen for those hot nights and it's never even looked like leaking in severe downpours. Best of all, it weighs only 1.3 kgs, so it's ideal for packback trips or airline flights.

I've slept in swags. I used to own one many years ago, until I took it up into northern NSW pig hunting during summer one time. It was just too hot to sleep in. I ended up sleeping on top of it and got eaten alive by mosquitos and bugs. That's when I bought my tent. 8)

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

stace

#2 Post by stace » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:55 pm

Mick
For backpacking in the tropics at least a SIAM Hammock is tops
Packs down to the same weight as your tent & a foot high packed away.
Has a fly which doubles as a poncho for wet days ,also there are Hennesy hammocks as well .
Fully screened with fine mesh to keep even the midges away .
For a bloke with a bad back it was some of the best nights sleep Ive had .
A bullbar and a tree or can be made into 5 differnt types of shelter
stace

Mick Smith

#3 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:58 pm

Hi Stace

I saw a review of one of those hammocks in Archery Action mag a few years back. They got a good wrap. :wink:

Mick
Last edited by Mick Smith on Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

kimall

Hammock

#4 Post by kimall » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:55 pm

I have a Hennessy Hammock and a really good swag but the hammock is the best night sleep I have had in the bush.
Cheers KIM

bleeroyb

#5 Post by bleeroyb » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:27 pm

For me it depends on what you're doing.

Hiking/hunting - Either a hennessy hammock (which I have heard are the ants pants...where on earth did that saying come from anyway, since when do ants wear pants? :shock:) or my 1.6kg 2 man tent (for an extra 2-300grams I get double the space of a 1 man)

Camping/hunting - A nice, big tent...when I don't have to worry about weight I just bring out the 4-6 man tent. Plenty of space to fit all your bits and pieces and a home away from home.

Swags...well, they're good but for their size they're really heavy and cumbersome. The only time I'd ever use one is if I was out on my motorbike because they are so quick to set up, just roll them out and you're half way there. But even then I'd use a tent, for half the weight you get double the space =)

Just my 2c.

Cheers,

Leeroy
Days, when the ball of our vision
Had eagles that flew unabashed to the sun;
When the grasp on the bow was decision,
And arrow and hand and eye were one.

-George Meredith (excerpt of 'Ode to youth in memory')