Some thoughts on hunting clothing.

Any camping and hunting gear that doesn't fall directly under the Traditional banner, but is complementary to what we do: tents, stoves, 4 wheel drives & tyres, wearable gear etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Mick Smith

Some thoughts on hunting clothing.

#1 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:12 pm

I have long been of the opinion that we under value the importance of a good hunting jacket in this country. I suppose it's because most Australians would say, "who needs a jacket when it's so hot, a t-shirt is all I need". It's a hard stance to counter, I suppose, but there are times when a carefully chosen jacket will do almost anything you need when it comes to hunting apparel.

What are some of the requirements expected of your hunting apparel, particularly those the fit your upper body? Well, for a start I would be looking for something that won't stand out too much to the game I'm seeking. I would probably go for a camouflage pattern that would blend in with most of my hunting environments. I quite like the pattern known as "Advantage Timber". I believe it's a Cabela's pattern. I like the way it's predominately brown shades blend in well to the under canopy of a typical Australian bush scene, plus I like the way the brown shades also blend in very well to dry arid areas, common in inland Australia.

Of course there's much more than the colour of a jacket to worry about. The amount of noise it makes as you walk through heavy brush is extremely important. Most of the US marketed jackets designed for bowhunters are excellent in this regard, they usually have a velvety external finish that makes very little noise.

So far, if you bothered reading this far, you may still be thinking, "well, so far, he hasn't said anything that might make me change my mind from believing that the good old t-shirt is the best all round option for me". T-shirts are great. I often wear them hunting, but there's two areas in which they can be deficient. Firstly, they don't have pockets, apart maybe from one pathetic little one. I don't know about you, but I need lots of pockets. It seems I need more and more, as I buy more and more stuff to carry around with me, things like my mobile phone, digital camera and GPS. These things won't all fit into your trouser pockets and having to carry some sort of pack is a nuisance on a short trip. My hunting jackets have lots of huge pockets, plenty of room for everything.

Another good thing about jackets is that they are nearly always made of some strong material, not like your average cotton t-shirt that will tear on just about anything. Some jacket materials are very strong indeed.

I bet you're still thinking, "yes, but a jacket is going to be too hot to wear in the hottest months", and you are right. Sometimes even the lightest thinest jacket will be too hot to wear, but what I'm trying to say is, there's plenty of other times when a jacket isn't going to be too hot. If you buy an uninsulated and unlined jacket, it can be worn virtually as a shirt. If it's a little cooler, you can wear a t-shirt underneath. If it's a little cooler again you can wear something like a polar fleece t-shirt underneath. If it's bloody cold you can layer up underneath it with thermals and full fleecy tops. A jacket is nothing if it's not versatile. It will meet a host of different hunting requirements and scenarios and it's only just one piece of clothing.

Who doesn't hate to have to buy petrol when all geared up in their camo outfit? I refuse to. With a good hunting jacket, all you have to do is whip it off, leaving your more acceptable clothing underneath exposed and go about your business.

Jackets can become like an old friend. If you wear one enough, you will become attached to it. If you become attached to an old t-shirt, it's probably out seen it's life span and is ready for the rubbish. A jacket will last for many many years.

A jacket is just so versatile. My favorite jacket is even pretty waterproof, having some silicon impregnated into the fabric. It still "breathes" beautifully and is much like a lightweight shirt to wear on a hot day, yet it's still serious gear (with the appropriate clothing underneath) when it's wet and cold. A typical hunting jacket is short, it only comes down to your waist, but this means they don't get in the way, they don't catch on scrub or barbed wire fences. They allow much freedom of movement. They can be washed just as easily as any other clothing.

I'm totally amazed that jackets aren't a common fixture in the Australian hunting scene. I know they aren't, because how often do you see blokes wearing them in photos? Hardly ever. Maybe it's time for you to genuinely think about using one. I know you will end up loving it (if you get the right one).

Mick

PS, sorry about the long rant, I got bored. :oops:
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

buzz

#2 Post by buzz » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:59 pm

For a long rant, that was pretty coherent! I doubt my reply will be as good (2003 Shiraz speaking).

It's been a while since I've hunted and likely a while till I do again, but around here (south central NSW/ACT) when fishing or doing a variety of other outdoors activities (incl the mundane like being an under 10's soccer parent) a jacket is the ticket. A modern material japara style jacket that goes down onto the upper thigh with large pockets on the very lower sections as well as a inner breast pocket would be the ticket. Around these parts it needs to be windproof and waterproof, but still breathe. If it is cold, then layer up underneath and all is good. I like the large cargo pockets a'la the US BDU style jackets as I can fit snacks, lures, the leatherman tool, but I don't like when people pre-assume what I will use a pocket for like some overalls or work pants that have little mobile phone pockets or somesuch.

As for camo pattern.... if someone wised up and did an auscam where around 3/4 of the edges were blurred.... it would be a lot better. A very faded auscam works real well around here and fading the colours into each other helps prevent people/things focusing on you....

adam

#3 Post by adam » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:49 pm

I'm totally amazed that jackets aren't a common fixture in the Australian hunting scene. I know they aren't, because how often do you see blokes wearing them in photos? Hardly ever. Maybe it's time for you to genuinely think about using one. I know you will end up loving it (if you get the right one).
Mate if its cold you should see me in one, I've been know to wear a good hunting jacket out to dinner on a cold canberra night, my mates say its hip, my wife says nothing :roll:

However rarely would you see me in one while hunting, even in minus 9 while hunting the hills do I have a jacket on. I find that the exercise is plenty to keep me warm, otherwise with a jacket on I cook to death.

In flat hunting or still hunting during winter I use a good quality bowhunting jacket, but at the moment my winters are 30 degrees so Ill have to wait to get back east.

Adam
True Wild Range Traditional Bowhunter

Mick Smith

#4 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:24 am

buzz

I like Auscam too. My son has a full outfit of Auscam and he's very hard to find when out hunting. His outfit is rather faded too.

adam

I wear my uninsulated jacket on all but the very hottest days and also on those occasions when I will be sweating up a storm, like when hunting goats on steep mountain sides. The jacket is much better in the prickly acacia than any shirt would be too. The trick is to wear very little underneath it. The material my jacket is made of, is no thicker than your average shirt anyway, but unlike most shirts, my jacket can be easily zipped open to allow extra ventilation. Wearing the jacket when hunting in tough terrain also allows me to hunt without wearing any sort of a pack, as a pack in really rough conditions is a real pain, I just put my gear in the ample pockets.

I wouldn't own an insulated jacket, as they lack the versatility of of a simple shell type of jacket.

I don' think I'd wear mine to social occasions though. :? :D

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

matlock

#5 Post by matlock » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:29 pm

mick i throw a jacket in my pack all the time my preference is a camo ex usa goretex jacket waterproof,windproof,breathable and lite to carry, packs down well to.you can buy them on ebay for about 60 bucks plus about 30-40 for postage.for a used item there in good condition.

Mick Smith

#6 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:55 pm

Hi Matlock

Are you talking about the "Flectra" Gortex jackets? I've seen them on eBay quite often and they sell for around $60 or so. They would have to be the best value for money waterproof jackets available. As an everyday hunting jacket they would be too hot and too noisy, but when the weather turns really nasty they would be the "bee's knee's".

My everyday hunting jacket is made of a material called "Saddle Cloth". It's like velvet on the outside and cotton drill on the inside. The thickness of the material is about the same as a pair of Yakka overalls. The material has been treated with silicon that has been impregnated into the actual fabric, so it's pretty waterproof. It cost me the grand total of US$30 from Cabelas a couple of years back.

I have an excellent Gortex bushwalking jacket in a plain green colour, similar to your's. I rarely wear it, but I have worn it when it's been extremely cold and windy (it cuts the wind completely) and, of course when it's been raining cats and dogs.

Mick

matlock

#7 Post by matlock » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:20 pm

hi mick

yer that's the jacket mate they are noisy and would be hot, i don't wear it in the warmer months,i head up into the high country a bit so that's why i throw it in things can change pretty quick up there mate cheers

hellier

#8 Post by hellier » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:49 pm

I go for the thorn proofs in a cold winter..oiled cotton..I find that any synth fabric makes too much noise...When I was a kid in the UK the gamekeepers wore it over tweed jackets and trousers with wool socks and flannel shirts.
There is a cotton fabric used for flight suits...pilot ditches in the ocean etc..c'mon memory don't fail me now... :oops: nahhh...Snowsled UK used it for survival gear :wink: There is a range of light weight gear suitable for tropics...in greens and.......khaki...
I'd love to have a battle of wits with you.....but you appear to be un-armed.....

hellier

#9 Post by hellier » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:55 pm

I go for the thorn proofs in a cold winter..oiled cotton..I find that any synth fabric makes too much noise...When I was a kid in the UK the gamekeepers wore it over tweed jackets and trousers with wool socks and flannel shirts.
There is a cotton fabric used for flight suits...pilot ditches in the ocean etc..c'mon memory don't fail me now... :oops: nahhh...Snowsled UK used it for survival gear :wink: There is a range of light weight gear suitable for tropics...in greens and.......khaki...HMMM can't check up on snowsled soooo ignore that lead..sorry
I'd love to have a battle of wits with you.....but you appear to be un-armed.....

Lindsay

Re: Some thoughts on hunting clothing.

#10 Post by Lindsay » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:16 pm

:idea: Have a look at www.blackfootdesigns.com.au If this camo worked any better you'd have trouble finding yourself.
Dave Beeler Longbow 56" 60#
Kohannah Hunter T/D recurve 62" 56#
Motu Magnum R/D longbow 66" 74#

Steven J

Re: Some thoughts on hunting clothing.

#12 Post by Steven J » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:43 am

The Blackfoot camo seems very reasonably priced. I might even think about getting some - not that I ever have time for hunting :( - you never know when the oportunity might present itself though. :)

Steve
http://www.stevenjawerth.weebly.com

On Christ the solid rock I stand, All other ground is sinking sand. Edward Mote, 1797-1874