The perfect hunting clothing for cold and wet conditions?

Any camping and hunting gear that doesn't fall directly under the Traditional banner, but is complementary to what we do: tents, stoves, 4 wheel drives & tyres, wearable gear etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Mick Smith

The perfect hunting clothing for cold and wet conditions?

#1 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:16 pm

What's the ultimate hunting clothing for the likes of hunting sambar in the Victorian Alps in winter? I know we have more than a few keen sambar men among our ranks and I'm sure we will have a few different ideas about exactly what constitutes the perfect cobber for such occasions.

Whatever you decide to wear, it has to meet a few essential requirements before it comes anywhere near the perfect solution. It has to be warm. There's always the possibility of getting lost or injured. If you can keep warm, you've got a good chance of making it out alive. If you can't keep warm, chances are you will die of hypothermia on the first night.

You won't stay warm if you're wet. Even wool loses much of it's efficiency when wet and most other materials are worse than useless at keeping you warm once they get wet, so another essential clothing requirement for this type of hunting is the ability to keep you dry, under any conditions.

Most of us realise the need for ultra quiet hunting clothing, particularly when hunting an animal so highly attuned to danger as the sambar deer. If your hunting method involves moving from one point to another, you really need to wear something that doesn't rustle or make scratching noises everytime you push past some scrub.

Lastly, most of us would prefer to wear something in an effective camoflauge pattern. I'm not saying that you would be wasting your time hunting sambar when wearing plain colours such as olive green or brown, but let's face it, we need all the help we can get with these wary deer, don't we? I don't particularly like wearing camo, but if I'm about to seriously try and stalk a sambar deer, I can overcome my feelings of dislike for this type of gear in the name of expediency.

I believe that almost anyone hunting in this country at this time of year would opt to carry some sort of pack, probably a day backpack, so you can carry your raincoat and other supplies in comfort and without the need to wear it all if the conditions turn out to be more pleasant than expected.

So what's my idea of the "perfect" solution for hunting in cold and wet conditions? I like to wear Polar Fleece when hunting. It's warm and lightweight, but most importantly, it's almost totally quiet to move around in. If Polar Fleece gets wet, the water can be rung out quickly and easily, restoring much of it's former thermal efficiency. If you happen to have Polar Fleece that has been treated to make it water resistant, so much the better. I particularly like the Ridgeline DWR (Durably water resistant) range of fleece clothing. The New Zealand Fern camo blends in pretty well in southern bushland. I've got a couple of pairs of these trousers and tops and in my mind, they are almost perfect for this sort of hunting.

I carry a top quality "Gortex" full length raincoat in addition to the water resistant polar fleece gear, just in case the water starts to creep through, but it hasn't happened yet. The Gortex jacket is my insurance policy and my "life jacket" should a find myself in a real fix one day. I wear thermal underwear underneath to reduce the build-up of sweat and subsequent cooling effect of sweat laden under garments, once you stop working. I also wear a good rain shedding hat and good strong bushwalking boots.

Admittedly, the camo pattern isn't anywhere as good as one of the flash 3-D suits, but by the same token, it's not too bad either.

What's your perfect solution? :D

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

memo

#2 Post by memo » Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:56 am

Mick,
for years i've used the good old Swandri and it has served me well. More recently i've started purchasing Stoney Creek gear, and find it to be excellent. I haven't yet got a top in heavier top in the stoney creek, as my swanny still serves me well, but who knows how long I can hold out for! :lol:
I think nowadays, any of the hunting gear coming out of NZ (Stoney Ck, Huntech or Ridgeline) is top quality and you can't go wrong. If you ever get a chance to go over to NZ, check out the chain of stores 'Hunting & Fishing'. They are like a Kmart totally devoted to hunting and fishing gear. I was in heaven! The missus wasn't too impressed when I arrived at the checkout with an armful of gear though :wink:
PM me your address and i'll send you the latest Stoney Ck Catalog
Memo

Mick Smith

#3 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:34 am

Hi Memo

I agree mate, the gear made in New Zealand is amongst the best in the world for quality and efficiency and yet it only costs a fraction of what other top quality products cost.

In my experience, to get the very best prices on New Zealand gear you have to buy it in New Zealand. I think the Australian importers and distributors are a bit greedy and want too much for too little work. I've been attracted to this New Zealand mail order establishment, their prices seem very competitive - http://www.outdoorsupplies.co.nz/ .

I have quite a bit of Ridgeline gear and I think it's probably the best value for money equipment around. It's excellent quality stuff too. As I said in my first post, I particularly like their "Durable Water Resistant" fleece clothing. I doubt whether the water deterrent additive would last for ever, but I've washed my gear about 30 times and yet, it still sheds water very well. I own a few Huntec products. Huntec gear is considerably dearer than Ridgeline's, but they have some excellent stuff indeed. I particularly like their hats (I've got 3 of 'em). They have a new range of interesting camo patterns too. I don't own any of the Stoney Creek gear, but when I was travelling though Horsham recently, I stopped in at an excellent outdoors shop and I was very impressed with the Stoney Creek products they had there. Unfortunately this was towards the end of our annual holiday and funds were becoming scarce, so I couldn't buy anything.

I'd love to go to New Zealand one day. I'd be certain to drop into the stores you mentioned.

The old Swanny's always get a good wrap whenever there's talk along these lines. I've never tried one. I don't even know if they're still available. Woolen garments were always held in very high regard in the years gone by, for hunting in tough cold and wet conditions. I reckon they would have got pretty heavy though when saturated with water. They were pretty heavy even when they were dry.

Thanks for the imput mate, I've sent you a PM. :wink:

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

jindydiver

#4 Post by jindydiver » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:20 pm

Those “hunting and fishing” stores are just great. I picked up a polar fleece shirt in there one day and asked the guy how much it was.
“35 bucks” he says, “but I will do 2 for 50”
I say “How much for 3?”
He says “3 for 60” so I say “Give me 3 for me and 3 for the kids” :D

Swannies have dropped right out of favour in NZ lately, the company has gone offshore and all the cloths are made in some OS sweatshop and so patriotic kiwi’s (and us that support them) are boycotting swandry
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

rory

#5 Post by rory » Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:55 pm

:lol: Jindy, what a great pick up mate, sham you would have had to live through some quiwi saying 'sucxty dollars' the whole time :lol: I hate their accent :x :shock: :lol:

Mick, good post mate, I too am wondering what affordable water proof camo clothing is avaliable. I'd want a full rain jacket style, hooded type top and similar material pants. I detest wearing anything 'plasticy' as I hate sweating while it's raining (yuk) but also want to stay completely dry.

At the moment I have a big hooded gortex rain jacket that I wear when it's peeing down, though, the lack of camo basically means I only hunt from ground ambush points and bush blinds....
Wes Wallace 'Mentor' T/D recurve 65# @ 28"

Blackstump broadheads

Mick Smith

#6 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:34 pm

Yes Jindy, it sounds as though it was a great deal. I'm presuming you paid NZ dollars too, that would make it even more attractive. I think I'd like the attitude the New Zealanders have about hunting. They seem to accept it as a normal everyday activity than normal everday people enjoy, rather than the general Australian attitude of abhorance and disgust. New Zealanders seem to have kept their sense of down to earth lifestyle, whereas most city bred Australians are the opposite, unfortunately.

I was interested to here about the old Swandri or Swannys. It's a pity they have gone to way of many stalwarts and icons of years gone by.

Rory,

One of the things that bugs me the most about hunting clothing is noise. I hate wearing noisy clothing, even on a bunny hunt. It drives me crazy. There's no way I could wear any sort of raincoat hunting, they are just too noisy. I bought a flash raincoat from Cabelas a while back. It was supposed to be nice and quiet, but even though it is heaps better than my Gortex jacket, it was still noisy. This is what makes the DWR (durably water resistant) range of Ridgeline hunting clothing so appealing to me, it's as good as being totally waterproof and yet it's dead silent. You might be able to get away with wearing a top that's slightly noisy, but forget about noisy trousers, they will drive the game away and drive you crazy at the same time, each time you take a step. The DWR Ridgeline trousers are great. They are extremely comfortable, almost totally waterproof and best of all, totally silent. You can't do better than that, IMO.

I just carry the Gortex jacket or my "silent" Cabelas jacket for their windbreaking ability and to wear if conditions turn from bad to apalling. I never actually wear them while hunting, however I would wear the camo "Rain Suede" jacket if I was hunting from a blind.

Mick

jindydiver

#7 Post by jindydiver » Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:55 pm

I forgot to add

This is the jacket I wear in the rain
http://swazi.co.nz/product_detail.php?& ... ather_gear

Mine is about 15 years old and doesn't have the pocket (and is also tan)
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

ssga

#8 Post by ssga » Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:15 pm

Stoney Creek all the way, for my birthday a few years back my wife organised for everyone to chip a couple of bucks in and she organised a gift voucher from stoney creek shop.......... :P

Seriously i have had some of their gear over 10yrs and i could still wear it, also their warranty really exists!! :shock: Sent a pair of pants back i managed to tear (after many days) on a barbed wire fence and i got a new set in a week!

SSGA
Moving forward is relative to where you want to go?

Mick Smith

#9 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:40 am

Jindy

Your Swazi jacket looks very similar to the one Ridgeline sells. They have always been fairly expensive. I've often looked at them and wondered if they would be very noisy. How do you find yours? Is Swazi clothing still operating? I have noticed that their products don't seem to be around much these days.

ssga

That's a very cold looking photo there mate. :shock: It would have been a good test of your clothing. I notice you are wearing your jacket like a poncho, is this to let some air in to minimise you sweating? Pulling that cart would be hard work. I'd say, not to mention that it's unusual method of getting gear about in Australia. It would work a treat, just so long as the terrain didn't get too rough, I'd imagine.

Could you go into some more detail about your clothing please? Things like the waterproofness, the noise, the warmth and the comfort levels. What are the various layers made of, etc? I'm sure we are all interested to hear. :wink:

Mick

jindydiver

#10 Post by jindydiver » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:12 pm

My swazi is as quiet as any waterproof can be. I have used it hunting in foul weather both in Australia and New Zealand and I was happy to stay out all day.
Mick

Abraham Lincoln

Mick Smith

#11 Post by Mick Smith » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:49 pm

After the great wrap both memo and ssga gave to Stoney Creek Clothing products, I decided to look more closely at their range of products.

This company does have a web site with on-line sales at - http://www.stoneycreekshop.co.nz/accessories.htm , but I actually prefer to browse their catalog as it goes into more details about their products. If you're interested you can ask for a free catalog to be posted to you on their web site.

This company offers a very juicy range of hunting clothing. Some of the things I like is the fact that one of their camoflauge patterns (Realtree Hardwoods green) would be great in typical Australian bush, another thing I like is the fact that some of the the above products are available in a Teflon, Durable Water Resistant process whereby they become virtually waterproof, yet still comfortable and non-sweaty to wear and still 100% quiet to move around in. Some of their products have all these features, yet aren't made of fleece at all, they are made of a super strong, yet lightweight material designed for warm to hot conditions, they even have zippers that expose lightweight mesh beneath that are located in those sweaty regions of the body, these would be perfect for the likes of stalking red deer in southern Queensland. Obviously a lot of thought has gone into their product line and it shows.

I can't understand why any serious bowhunter wouldn't be interested in products such as these, afterall they have been designed with us in mind.

If you don't like wearing camo, they come in plain greens as well. The prices are very reasonable too IMO.

I know I will be spending a few dollars there in the near future. 8)

Mick

PS - On another subject, but related, I have seen used, ex German Army "Flectra" Gortex jackets on Australian eBay for as little as AU$29.00, "buy now". These jackets are quite noisy (ask fellow Ozbow member, Tony), but at this price they would have to be the best value for money and also the best performing camo jackets out there (from a perspective of keeping dry in all conditions you just can't beat Gortex, IMO). If you're interested, look under "Sporting goods" then "hunting" and then "clothing". The seller is based in Germany, but the postage sounds more than reasonable.

Mick

ssga

#12 Post by ssga » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:20 pm

My Apologies in the delay Mick,

On that trip i carried all my stoney creek gear, from the airmesh to the jacket in the photo, it has never let me or any other person i know down, just pick up the latest edition of Wild Deer and look at all the little stoney creek badges on the hunters.............. and NO i do not sell this stuff i just reckon it is the best :lol: :lol:

I have an entire wardrobe devoted to there products and have hunted the east coast using thier range of gear, from the 32d 90% humidity to the -12d and snowing :roll: not just walked but hunted! It is very comfortable noise levels on the top end shooters jacket are minimal but there, the sambar jacket is very quiet and a good compromise. I have the two in one backpack which i roll my shooters jacket up and tie to the straps in the bottom. I like the zips under the arms on the tops too for when you walking back to the camp faster lets you keep that little cooler......da da da da.

You wont go wrong :wink:

In regards to the trolley i have some more photo's which you'll enjoy i must get round to posting. But she saw some real rough unbeaten country however it did carryout an entire hind and stag 15km!!
:shock:

SSGA
Moving forward is relative to where you want to go?

bear74

#13 Post by bear74 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:58 pm

Mick,
I see in a few shooting mags that ridgeline has deals on at the moment 1xpants, 1xbeanie, 1xshortsleeve and 1xlongsleave all for $99.
not sure how they go in the cold cause it don't get cold up here :wink:

BEAR
IF IT'S FERAL, IT'S IN PERIL!

Mick Smith

#14 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:54 pm

Yes, I noticed that too bear. If you have a look at www.outdoorsupplies.co.nz , they also have great deals on Ridgeline gear. They are selling the same deal for NZ$97, which may even work out cheaper because the price includes the NZ GST (12%) which isn't payable when sent to Australia, plus the NZ Dollar is worth considerably less than ours. I would be surprised if you could get the deal landed in Australia for about AU$80 which would be unbeatable value for someone just starting out who needed some basic clothing.

I think you've got the right idea mate, with your Huntec "Drymax" shirt that I've seen you wearing in photographs. They would be close to the ultimate gear for the NT. :wink: I see www.outdoorsupplies.co.nz sells them too. 8)

Mick