Cat Quivers

Any camping and hunting gear that doesn't fall directly under the Traditional banner, but is complementary to what we do: tents, stoves, 4 wheel drives & tyres, wearable gear etc.

Moderator: Moderators

hubris

Cat Quivers

#1 Post by hubris » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:38 pm

Ok, I'm completely sick of trying to find a pack that will hold a full overnight set of gear plus work with my backquiver, so I'm considering biting the bullet and trying something like the Rancho Safari Cat Quiver VII

I'm not super keen on the camo crap or the plastic hood... but until I get that spare summer to work on something, it'll have to do. Has anyone used one of these style packs or upright quivers before?
Saul 'Winks at Goats' & 'Paddles from Crocs'

snakeeater

#2 Post by snakeeater » Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:38 am

The CQ VII is basically an overnight pack with the CQ Mini strapped to it. You might want to save yourself $90 and just get the Catquiver Mini and strap it to an existing overnight pack.

Here is the URL at Cabelas:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

Mick Smith

#3 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:39 pm

I had one many years ago Saul. I didn't particularly like it. It was too "plastic" for my liking. Basically the whole thing was made of plastic with a bit of camo material over the hood. It wasn't the mini model, it was the original model, which was the next largest after the mini.

The concept was good enough, it was the construction and materials I didn't like. It seemed flimsy and besides, I just don't like plastic stuff.

The new ones might be better. The mini looks particularly interesting. Steely uses one and he likes it. I like the way they protect your fletching from the weather.

I reckon an enterprising young bloke could make one out of wood and leather and finish up with something far more desirable and unique.

Actually the design wasn't originally invented by Rancho Safari, I believe a very similar design was available long before the Catquiver came onto the market. If memory serves me correctly they were made by Glenn St Charles, out of wood and leather. The originals have since become collector items. I've seen them from time to time on eBay.

I know Stickbow has used a Catquiver, I can recall him saying that he didn't like it either, I think he cut his finger reaching for an arrow or something along those lines. Maybe he could set you straight about what happened, there's probably a lot more to the story.

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:00 pm

Saul,

As Snakeeater said the VII is basicly a back pack with mini quiver attached by straps. I don't know that it would be easy to get arrows out of it - would depend where you had it strapped I guess.

I had (still have) the Cat Quiver III and I don't really like it. When wearing it you can't sit down on the ground as the arras hit the ground first. When you bend over or squat the pack tends to move up and knock your hat off.

As Mick mentioned you have to be careful reaching behind to get an arras as there are very sharp broadheads just ready to slice your finger if you aren't careful.

Lastly, I found it a real pain to try and put an arra back in without having to remove the pack. :?

I went to a side quiver for my last trip and it seemed to work well enough.

Jeff

hubris

#5 Post by hubris » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:54 pm

ahhhhhhhHHHH!... bloody quivers... Legolas didn't have any of these problems in the LOTR movies! His arrows just seemed to magically appear, and his pack was pretty amazing... he carried so much stuff in that little Elvish hip pack! :roll:

Thanks Jeff for that info... I suppose I could get around the cut fingers if I carried a lot of those 'Winnie the Poo' band-aids that Butcho has... they looked pretty cooool :wink:

Yeah, Mick, I hate the plastic c$#p as well... I think I'm going to have to make something myself... now I'm miffed! :x :wink:
Saul 'Winks at Goats' & 'Paddles from Crocs'

Hood

#6 Post by Hood » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:45 pm

I have thought of making something like these many a time.

What sort of timber is one most likely to use for such a project?
Keeping weight to a min of course.
Bow Hunting is my Passion.

My wife says it's my Obsession.

Either way I'm happy.

clinglish

#7 Post by clinglish » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:41 am

I have a catquiver 4 that I have nearly got set up for hiking into spots .
I can organise some pic's for you if you want.
Bowhunting (Hunting for Bows)
Known Carrier of "Fox Bow Fever"

Mick Smith

#8 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:43 am

Mick

I reckon I'd have a look at coachwood for making a quiver. It was named originally for being a good strong, but yet lightweight timber, ideal for making horse drawn coaches. I believe they used coachwood a fair bit back in the war years for rifle stocks on the Aussie 303's. It's a fairly plain timber to look at, being very uniform in the grain. I suppose this is what makes it so strong.

Another thought, maybe try using aluminium for the support structure and then cover it with soft leather. 8)

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

bmlongshot

#9 Post by bmlongshot » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:58 pm

I always have a cat quiver in the truck or camp at least in case of serious rain. Once you get used to them they are a truly great qiuver and the quickest way to get an arrow on the string that i know of, with very little body motion. never my first choice but always have one handy
cheers
ben