I can see again.

Any camping and hunting gear that doesn't fall directly under the Traditional banner, but is complementary to what we do: tents, stoves, 4 wheel drives & tyres, wearable gear etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Mick Smith

I can see again.

#1 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:44 pm

I used to be a "gun" finder of rabbits. I used to be able to spot a rabbit in a large paddock of dead grass instantly. It's an aquired skill, built up from many years of searching for them.

When you bowhunt rabbits, it's absolutely essential to see the rabbit before it sees you. You need to be able to stalk an unsuspecting rabbit to ensure that you can get close enough for a shot and secondly, alerted rabbits will jump the string most times even if you are close enough for a shot.

I've noticed, in the last couple of years, that I'm just not seeing them anywhere a well as I used to be able to. In fact on the last couple of bunny hunts that I've been on, I have intently stalked right up close to unsuspecting rabbits and nailed them dead centre, only to find out they were just clumps of grass or worse, rabbit shaped rocks. :oops:

Everything as been fuzzy and out of focus. I've squinted and blinked to no avail. It was finally time to visit the optometrist.

Man, I can't believe just how well I can see now. I didn't realise just how bad my eyes had become. Everything is crystal sharp and in focus, even tiny things far off in the distance. These glasses might just be the best bit of hunting gear I've ever purchased. 8)

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Hood

#2 Post by Hood » Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:54 pm

Sure you wernt just wearing your beer goggles :wink: :lol:
You must have been dreadful when driving, a bit like Mr Magoo.
Glad to hear that the ferals are in peril once more now that Mr Magoo can see again.
:wink:
Bow Hunting is my Passion.

My wife says it's my Obsession.

Either way I'm happy.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:01 pm

I know what you mean Mick, the trees even have leaves on them now huh? :lol:

Jeff

Mick Smith

#4 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:47 pm

:D Yeah, I don't know why I didn't do this years ago. At least those stone "rabbits" didn't jump the string. :)

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Poppy

#5 Post by Poppy » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:04 pm

Good to hear that you don't have to buy that dog and white stick :lol:
Mate have you been shooting with your glasses on. The reason I ask is that I wear glasses and if I wear them shooting it upsets my form (instinctive) so I don't wear them. I'm shooting blind :shock: no not that bad.

Cheers
Paul.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:44 pm

Poppy,

Does your glasses have graduated lenses? Keith (FORRO) was having trouble shooting with his, they caused him to shoot left. I suggested trying a normal long distance lense and just recently he got a set and he can now hit the traget. :D

Jeff

Mick Smith

#7 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:58 pm

I was all happy, but you blokes have got me worried now, as my new glasses have graduated lenses. Please don't tell me that now although I'm going to be able to see what I'm shooting at, I'm not going to be able to hit it. :? (not that that's anything new :) )

I did order a new pair of straight long distance perscription sunglasses though, maybe I could use these until it starts to get dark. :(

I can't wait to test them out under field conditions. :)

Mick