Mini binoculars and monoculars.

Any camping and hunting gear that doesn't fall directly under the Traditional banner, but is complementary to what we do: tents, stoves, 4 wheel drives & tyres, wearable gear etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Mick Smith

Mini binoculars and monoculars.

#1 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:11 pm

BUTCH mentioned that he had bought a Zeiss monocular in one of the posts that was lost recently when the site when down. The idea of carrying a lightweight and physically small optical aid captured my imagination.

I already have a pair of excellent Steiner 8x32 binoculars. As effective as these binoculars are, they aren't actually small and lightweight. They're not as big and heavy as many, but still they are a burden when you want to travel light or just duck out for a quick impromptu hunt.

I owned a pair of cheap Tasco mini binoculars for some time, however the optics were a real strain on my eyes, so much so, I ended up giving them to a hunting mate one day after they started to induce a migrane. The principal of having and using a small pair of binoculars was sound, it was just the quality aspects of the Tasco 8x20's that were a pain. The Tasco weren't waterproof either and that left me with the constant minor concern that if they got wet they would most likely be ruined.

What would be the ideal mini binoculars/monocular? Well for me, they would have to have superior optics, that would be essential. They would also have to be totally waterproof. This leaves us with a vastly reduced range from which to choose. BUTCH chose a Zeiss monocular, these monoculars look terrific. They range from a pen like model with 5x power, right up to a bigger and more powerful 16x model. In my book, the 8x22 or 10x26 models would be perfect for hunting. The only thing is, they are pretty expensive at around AU$400 each.

Steiner make a monocular, but I can't find out how much they sell for, but they are of a porro prism design and this detracts from their compactness anyway. Steiner also make a very nice little 8x22 pair of mini binoculars that are waterproof and offer excellent optics and best of all they sell for AU$149.00. They fold up nice and small. These are the ones I will probably end up buying at this stage.

This concept of carrying a mini binocular/monocular is not aimed at the process of lengthy glassing periods from good vantage points, this is more the realm of bigger and optically superior binoculars. It's aimed at those occassions when you happen to notice something in the not so far away distance, but you just can't make out what it is. Is it a game animal or is it just a log? Even if you happen to be carrying your full sized bino's, by the time you get them out, it may be too late, whereas if all you had to do was reach into your pocket and grab your mini bino/monocular, you would be much more likely to actually do it rather than think to yourself, "oh well, it's probably just a log" and then see it run off.

Besides, I'm a bit of a minimalist nut. I just love to travel light and easy. :)

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

stace

#2 Post by stace » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:37 pm

Mick
Butch and I got the Ziess 10x25 monocular ,nice and small ,easily focused with the index finger with the same hand you are holding the unit with.

We got them for the same reason you stated ,in that we want something that could be reached quickly while poking about and not for general glassing of valleys .
A lot of times by the time you get your binoculars out and focused the animal is gone or seen your movement of putting down your bow and using both hands to get it all set.
Yeah they were expensive but they are superbly clear ,small and just what we were after .
It took some calling around as most dealers just didn't call back (after they had promised they would)Most only sold the OTHER brands or sold ZIESS scopes and binoculars but not MONOCULARS and couldn't be bothered a bit of research .
SO I can fully recommend STAN RUSSELL FIREARMS in Browns Plains Brisbane ,who rang back and gave us great service a reasonable price
stace

Mick Smith

#3 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:58 pm

Stace

Did you end up buying a Zeiss monocular for yourself as well? They do look very good, I must say. They would be my first choice if they weren't so expensive, afterall they are only half the size of a pair of comparable binoculars. I could only find reference to Zeiss monoculars on international web sites and the prices were about US$270 which would equate to around AU$400 including postage. Is this the sort of money you paid in Australia? Sorry about harping on about the money aspects, but this is the crucial part for me.

By the sound of it, the monocular worked very well in practice. BUTCH sounded pretty pleased with his.

These monoculars are so light and convenient, you would be certain to carry them at all times when hunting. I reckon they would be a real asset to anyone's kit.

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

NCArcher

#4 Post by NCArcher » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:07 am

These might be worth a look Mick

http://www.altservices.biz/cgi-bin/html ... 5126209486?

The service from Alt Services is excellent.

Mick Smith

#5 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:20 pm

NCArcher

That link opens up to the home page of a UK tackle shop. I checked through the products and found the Optricon binoculars, is this what you're referring to?

They are nice looking mini binoculars, but a bit dearer than the Steiner equivalents.

Mick

stace

#6 Post by stace » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:12 pm

Mick
the link has changed to what it was this morning some how

try this it has three MONOCULARS
http://www.altservices.biz/cgi-bin/html ... 4611535644
stace

Mick Smith

#7 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:41 pm

Thanks Stace. Those Optricon minoculars look good too. They're reasonably priced too, compared to the Zeiss ones. The only thing is, I've never heard of Optricon before and in my mind the reputation of the manufacturer is everything when outlaying big buck on optical gear.

I still think the little Steiner 8x22 binoculars would be hard to beat, both for quality and value. They're small and compact, totally waterproof and the optics are almost certain to be right up there with the top brands. Here's a link to the Australian retailer where I bought my Steiner 8x32 Skyhawks recently. The service was excellent. http://www.binocular.com.au/Default.asp ... 03&cid=952
I got the price wrong in my earlier post by the look of it, they're $169.00, but that's still cheap compared to other quality mini binoculars.

Mick

stace

#8 Post by stace » Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:56 pm

Mick
Mate I am very happy with the Ziess for the price ,Carl Ziess make a very nice lens ,coupled with the size and clarity I am wrapped

The Optricon monocluar looks the goods though and a large objective ?lens of 42mm

stace

trash one

#9 Post by trash one » Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:37 am

I love my Ziess it's small light and very very clear spot on for huntin.

CATCH YA
BUTCH

NCArcher

#10 Post by NCArcher » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:16 am

stace wrote:Mick
the link has changed to what it was this morning some how

try this it has three MONOCULARS
http://www.altservices.biz/cgi-bin/html ... 4611535644
stace
Sorry Mick, it was a link to the monocular page. But it seems to have changed again. Stace's link now goes to the home page too :?
Aside from that, I've bought a bit of gear from Alt Services and they are good to deal with. Very prompt and efficient. I don't, however, know anything about the Opticron monoculars. I just noticed them there the other day. :)

Mick Smith

#11 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:17 pm

NCArcher

Stace pointed out that the Opticron monoculars have a very large objective lense for a monocular of 42mm. This would make them more like a stumpy telescope. They wouldn't be anywhere near as portable as the little Zeiss monoculars, but they would excel at checking things out at dusk and in poor light conditions though.

I reckon you could only use a monocular for short periods as you would need to close the eye that wasn't being used. Try closing just one eye for a while and see how quickly it becomes uncomfortable. They would be perfect for having a quick squiz though.

I'm still leaning towards those little Steiner 8x22 binoculars personally. 8)

Mick

bmlongshot

#12 Post by bmlongshot » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:53 pm

I am blind in one eye but still find that just for balance when holding, bino's beat monoculars every time. ALSO from experience i have found that the bigger bino's , whilst cumbersome , are worth their weight as they find the game where the smaller bino's won't.
cheers
ben

Friar Tuck

Optics

#13 Post by Friar Tuck » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:31 pm

Vortex Optics are now stocked in Australia. I am biased because I have the South Pacific distribution but they are very good gear.

Lifetime transferable warranty, rubber armoured argon or nitrogen purged and waterproof fully multicoated.

Australian website online March 07 but can be purchased through Gecko Archery currently.

http://www.geckoarchery.com.au or pm me.

Kind Regards

Antony Goyen
"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one."
Marcus Aurelius

Mick Smith

Re: Mini binoculars and monoculars.

#14 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:44 pm

Well, after procrastinating for a whole year, I've finally outlayed my money and bought myself a pair of little 8 x 22 Steiner binoculars. I was well and truly sick of stalking up on rabbits from a long distance, only to find out they were actually a rock or a log or something.

These little binos will easily slip into my pocket, so they will always be handy. I found that I often didn't take my larger 8 x 32 Steiners on quick hunts near home, as they're just too bulky (even though they are quite compact). I'll still use my 8 x 32's on major hunts, but the 8 x 22's will be perfect for the quick and easy identification of rabbits and the like when hunting near home. They fold up to the size of a packet of cigarettes.

Mick
Attachments
Steiner 8x22.jpg
Steiner 8x22.jpg (12.8 KiB) Viewed 8544 times

ivorycollector

#15 Post by ivorycollector » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:11 pm

Mick I hope yours would be OK. Mine which I bought a few years back gave endless problems only after a few months! Should have claim warranty but never got round to it! First it was not focusing properly, then a white spot, then it fogged up. After some months of abandonment in my drawer I took it out and all seems to work ok again! But I still get double vision and poor clarity. For me Steiners no more!!

Mick Smith

#16 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:43 pm

'Jumping Jeehossafass' :shock: Now you tell me?? :D

I bought these binoculars because I thought they would be markedly better than a pair of $20 el cheapos binos, but from what you've said it looks as though they're no better. :?

Oh well, I suppose all I can do is give them a good try out and see how they go. :wink:

I'm more than happy with my 8 x 32 Steiners, so I hope these 8 x 22's don't spoil my brand loyalty.

Mick

hellier

#17 Post by hellier » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:34 pm

I got a cheap mono off ebay a year ago...It's cheap, a chinese copy probably but hey it works well, , I dropped it oops...but it bounced and is still perfect....I think it's 8x32....fits good in pants pocket or shirt pocket.....I reckon for a quick squizz around they're perfect.....just my opinion but.
I'd love to have a battle of wits with you.....but you appear to be un-armed.....