The gear I used!

Any camping and hunting gear that doesn't fall directly under the Traditional banner, but is complementary to what we do: tents, stoves, 4 wheel drives & tyres, wearable gear etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

The gear I used!

#1 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:48 pm

G'day All,

Mick Smith and I and others discussed on here quite a bit about what equipment suits us when hunting. This last trip to the NT I ended up using a 3lt Camelbak Mule hydration pack. I found it worked great and allowed me to not only carry the water I needed but also all of my other stuff as well.

I didn’t end up using a bino harness, instead just tucking them under my bow arm. This is how I have carried them in the past. A harness might be worth trying though.

I ended up using an old 8 arra Martin side quiver. It was one that Buford kindly gave me and I converted it from right hand to left hand. It really did work well for hunting up in the NT. I did modify it a bit as the back of broadheads were exposed and could have cut my drawing fingers very easily if I let my arm down by my side. I glued and riveted a 40mm wide piece of leather around the top of the broadhead protector part of the quiver. If you look in the photo you can see this leather strip. This is about the only photo that shows the quiver reasonably clearly.

I used my 70# bow and 860 grain arras made from Keith's VA Hardwood shafts and tipped with the big new Ribbies. I only shot the one pig and the arra passed completely through.

Hope this info was of interest.

Jeff
Attachments
NT-2006-Side-quiver.jpg
NT-2006-Side-quiver.jpg (92.3 KiB) Viewed 1736 times

Buford

#2 Post by Buford » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:22 pm

nice flanno cam big fella! :D :D
Stupid TV! Be more funny!

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:33 pm

nice flanno cam big fella!
Thanks mate and 100% cotton too!!! :lol:

Jeff

Mick Smith

#4 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:13 pm

Thanks for that Jeff. :wink:

You didn't find that when using the sidequiver that the fletching on your arrows waved around too much flagging your presence to game? I had a side quiver many years ago and this was one aspect that annoyed me with it, otherwise it was fine. Actually, I'm thinking about getting another one for myself, mainly just to try it out and see how it goes. I might even have a go at making one.

Talking about the Challocamo, I've been busy buying a few plaid shirts myself lately. They're nothing special, just browns and greens. I bought them for a couple of dollars each at the local Op shop. I sort of like them too. 8)

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:00 pm

You didn't find that when using the sidequiver that the fletching on your arrows waved around too much flagging your presence to game?
Mick,

No mate I didn't. It sat so that the fletches were just tucked behind me a little. They only just cleared the Camelback. It worked very well I thought. I was even thinking of making a leather one myself, which I may just do.

I bought another good shirt which was in greens etc. It is difficult to get good checked patterns in cotton shirts. Most of the time good checks only come in flannel which is too hot for up here.

Jeff

rory

#6 Post by rory » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:28 pm

I am going to get one of those hip quivers. I might make one too, just gotta work out a design....

Oh the trials and tribuations.............. :roll: :lol:
Wes Wallace 'Mentor' T/D recurve 65# @ 28"

Blackstump broadheads