fox whistle

Any camping and hunting gear that doesn't fall directly under the Traditional banner, but is complementary to what we do: tents, stoves, 4 wheel drives & tyres, wearable gear etc.

Moderator: Moderators

TRASH

fox whistle

#1 Post by TRASH » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:16 pm

Hello all you fox hunters down south !!!!!
I have recently moved to an area where there is supposed to be foxes
What i want to know is if anyone could put me onto a brand of fox whistle.I thought of dressing up in a easter bunny suit but from what i understand foxes don't believe in the easter bunny so that peobably wouldnt work. And besides Butch would make a better rabbit as he's all furry.
TOTALLY ROOTED AND STILL HUNTING

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:30 pm

Strowy,

Hope you are settlin in at the new pad.

Funny you mention Butcho, we just had the furry fella and Jo stay here overnight.

Mate I just use the little round tin whistles that you can buy at most gun shops. Haven't used it much but I have called a fox in with it and FORRO missed it. :D

Jeff

stace

#3 Post by stace » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:57 pm

Strowy
The Scotch Predator call works well
Looked on Ebay and as Jeff said the Aussie Button Fox call is cheap at the moment
http://search.ebay.com.au/fox-call_W0QQ ... Q20callQ2a

hope this helps
stace

Mick Smith

#4 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:19 pm

I think the button whistle works well in areas that haven't seen too much hunting pressure, but once a fox hears that sound and manages to escape, it will never work again. Wary foxes seem to respond well to the Scotch Predator Call. This call has a deeper, more penetrating sound. It's supposed to sound like a wounded hare, in fact hare's often respond to this call. If you've never seen one, they look a bit like a donkey's male part. :shock: They cost about $50.00.

There's another fox whistle too, called the Tenterfield whistle. Apparently these whistles are far louder than the button ones and work a treat, but I have no personal experience with them.

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

TRASH

#5 Post by TRASH » Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:26 pm

Thanks fella's ,,,
Will visit the local disposal/gun/camping/shoe /fishing shop here in Bilo on the weekend. I read once that the old timers used to make the out of two shotgun cartridge bases with the primers punched out and brazed together somehow. Anyone able to enlighten me on that one. I like the idea of having both hands free incase a hare gets nasty Mick. Do you have to hold he donkey appendage in both hands???? Jeff what was i thinking when i decided to start up shift work again !!!!!! i THINK that not having done it for 20 years must have dulled the memory. But heck i went to the beach at Tannum sands last break and seen some of them kites that people get dragged all over the ocean with must have been some competition as there were at least 50 of them. We are off to Rocky tommorrow for the eldest daughters birthday. So look out man your turns a commin . Still dont have a home phone number yet as things happen a little slower here in Bilo .How is butcho coping with the rush of coastal traffic

Mick Smith

#6 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:45 pm

Strowy

I used to make those fox whistles out of shotgun shells when I was a kid. They worked alright too. I used two brass bases from the Eley Grand Prix shells, we'd burn off the paper bits in the fire and punch out the spent primers with a hammer and nail. We would then either make a cut in the side of one of the bases, or just put a slight kink in the edge with a pair of pliers so that the other unaltered base could then slip over the modified base. Just push them together with a friction fit and blow through it. Back in the good old days the bases were actually made of brass, nowadays they're just brass plated steel and they will rust pretty quickly.

With the Scotch Predator Call, I start off using both hands on it with a sort of pumping motion. It sounds a bit sick, I know, but you need to get a high noise volume out of it initially. You can really get it making a racket. The noise is supposed to sound like a hare being attacked, so it's starts of with a frantic series of notes, followed with a series of more subdued notes. After a minute or so of this, I just play the odd subdued squeek. Once I see a fox coming, I usually drop the call on the ground and move it around slightly with my feet. You only want just enough noise to keep it interested at this stage, plus you don't want the fox to see any hand movements. After this it all comes down to luck basically.

Good luck mate!! :D

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Buford

#7 Post by Buford » Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:01 pm

I dunno bout fox whistles, but if you get a dead straight bit of steel rod and slide 5 or 6 brass shell ends on and braze them together all straight like, then add a short length of copper tube to one end, cut an internal thread and bob's ya grandma.... you got yourself a 22/250 silencer. :D
Stupid TV! Be more funny!

stace

#8 Post by stace » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:39 pm

Strowy
The Scotch predator call in its directions states that it can be tied to a tree in front of you and a length of fishing line can be attached .It can then be activated by pulling it as the fox approaches it will look at the sound and not you, also leaves both hands somewhat free

cheers
stace

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#9 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:50 pm

Strowy,

Shift work :shock: :lol: Man that ain't fun. Yeah no worries about headin down this way but just give me notice so I can warn the locals. :D

No worries with Butcho mate in that big fast SS - he's an old hoon. :lol:

Jeff

TRASH

#10 Post by TRASH » Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:33 pm

Thanks Mick an Stace
I'M gUNNA git me a fox skin cap!!!! or mauled :shock:
Went to one of them water park things with slippery dips and such had a ball. They didnt take kindly to me peeing in the pool........ spose i shuda hopped in first so they couldnt see me :oops:

aussiehunter

#11 Post by aussiehunter » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:49 am

guys anyone know where i can purschase a scotch predator callnot much up these parts.

ive been told they work on pigs and dingos..

look forward to ur advice

thanks pat :D

Geerex

Scotch Predator Call

#12 Post by Geerex » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:18 am

HI Pat
I have used this type of call on foxes & wild dogs before with success.
Ebay is always a good place to start & you can get it mailed to you.
Never used it on pigs, never thought to.
Good luck with your search, hopefully this time i could help.

Ernie

aussiehunter

#13 Post by aussiehunter » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:03 pm

thanks mate but no go...

anyone now of a shop/store in aus that will have one?/

thanks pat :D

Mick Smith

#14 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:47 pm

Hi Pat

I bought mine at the Outdoor Sportsman in Pakington St West Geelong. The bloke who owns the store is a nice genuine fella called Rod. He does mail orders. He doesn't have a website, but his phone number is 03 52215133. I'd be surprised if he didn't have one in stock, but if he didn't, he'd soon get one in for you. Tell him Mick Smith put you on to him and he'll add 10% to the price. :D

Mick

aussiehunter

#15 Post by aussiehunter » Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:11 pm

thanks mick,ill give him a go..

geerex,thanks again mate..

let u know how i go..

pat :D

stace

#16 Post by stace » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:33 pm

Pat
Yeah I got mine from EAGLE ARCHERY in Brisbane mail ordered down to me no worries
If you can't find the number give me a pm or post

stace

aussiehunter

#17 Post by aussiehunter » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:16 pm

stace thanks

pat :D

ET

#18 Post by ET » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:12 pm

TRASH

I think Butcho would do just fine. Make him up a pair of bunny ears and some whiskers, although i think he's already got the whiskers :lol: .

ET