Backpacks

Any camping and hunting gear that doesn't fall directly under the Traditional banner, but is complementary to what we do: tents, stoves, 4 wheel drives & tyres, wearable gear etc.

Moderator: Moderators

bear74

Backpacks

#1 Post by bear74 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:47 am

Just wondering whether anyone has any info on some good packs for extended trips out bush say 2-7days hiking. I was looking at the badlands 2800 pack but it's hard to actually determine the size by looking at pics online. at the moment I use an army sniper pack but it lacks any frame so I was after somthing a bit more comfortable that will carry all my gear but won't impede to much since I usually hunt with the pack on.

BEAR
IF IT'S FERAL, IT'S IN PERIL!

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:40 am

Yeah mate, get a real small one so ya don't carry too much stuff. :lol:

Seriously I don't know much about them at all. Some of the fellas on here have done some longer backpacking hunts though and should be able give some advice.

Jeff

Mick Smith

#3 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:50 am

What sort of capacity do you want? Some people can't seem to cram their stuff into anything less than 70 litres, others are happy with 45 litres, for a week or so in the bush.

I've got a Macpac (NZ) 70 litre packback and I reckon it's too big and heavy. Maybe I'm just getting older and weaker. I never fill it up completely, so I'm left carrying something that's unnecessarily large and heavy.

I'd have a look at the Huntec and Ridgeline range of packs. Something in the 45 to 55 litre range. The Ridgeline packs are covered with polar fleece (camo or green) and may pick up burrs. They both have internal adjustable frames.

Good luck, I hope you find what you're looking for. :wink:

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

ROSCO

#4 Post by ROSCO » Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:24 pm

Bear
Have you looked at the Catquiver if you going for a few days the extra arrows can come handy. I am also thinking about storage of them as well.Here is just one of sizes you can get. Ross
Attachments
cat.jpg
cat.jpg (11.93 KiB) Viewed 2545 times

choko

#5 Post by choko » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:25 pm

if you go to nearly any tip shop in australia you will find those old school
external frame packs for any where from $3 up.
these make a great versatille rugged pack.
you can atach travois to it to haul out that massive kill

oliver

#6 Post by oliver » Tue May 23, 2006 10:30 pm

Hey guys.

I know this is a pretty old thread but bear I thought you might want to check out this sight http://www.eberlestock.com/index.htm their stuff sounds revolutionary (at least they make it sound like that)

Hope it helps

Oliver
"Archery may not be the sport of kings. But it is definitely the KING OF SPORTS."-Howard Hill

bear74

#7 Post by bear74 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:41 pm

Thanks oliver but have settled on the badlands pack looks like it will do what I'm after :wink:

BEAR
IF IT'S FERAL, IT'S IN PERIL!