Scales

Any camping and hunting gear that doesn't fall directly under the Traditional banner, but is complementary to what we do: tents, stoves, 4 wheel drives & tyres, wearable gear etc.

Moderator: Moderators

clinglish

Scales

#1 Post by clinglish » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:04 pm

I just talked to Keith from VA hardwoods and he said I need to put my shafts in groups of the same wieght. So I was wondering if there are any particular barands of scales to steer clear of , or ones to buy.
Cheers :)
Bowhunting (Hunting for Bows)
Known Carrier of "Fox Bow Fever"

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:25 pm

clinglish,

Interesting, I just emailed Kimall a few days ago and asked if he had prices on electronic scales. I haven't heard back from him though. I have seen a couple of different ones in USA archery web sites and they weren't badly priced.

A couple of things to look for is that they read in grains and not just grams and check that they go up to 1,000 grains at least as some of them only go to 500 grains.

Jeff

MrRecurve

#3 Post by MrRecurve » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:23 pm

Check out ebay guys, I just bought a digital set of "neva" scales. They weigh in grains, grams, ounces, pennyweights and a couple of others too I think.

I love them, very small and convenient, they fit into my tackle kit nicely.
I think I paid about 30 bucks for them. I know another guy who has a set similar, but a different brand, and they weigh exactly the same, so I think they are very accurate.
Attachments
tn_DW150B.jpg
tn_DW150B.jpg (9.45 KiB) Viewed 2922 times
Walk softly and carry a bent stick............

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:27 pm

Thanks mate, that is what I would like. I have never bought anything on ebay and I shy away from it to be honest. :? I must be too old tech.

Jeff

MrRecurve

#5 Post by MrRecurve » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:34 pm

I think that you can get them from 3 rivers too mate. Failing that, Im sure you have some family who use ebay and could get them for you, or alternatly I would be happy to pick up a set on your behalf. If youd like to do that, just give a yell.
Walk softly and carry a bent stick............

jaselpool

#6 Post by jaselpool » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:26 pm

MrRecurve wrote:Check out ebay guys, I just bought a digital set of "neva" scales. They weigh in grains, grams, ounces, pennyweights and a couple of others too I think.

I love them, very small and convenient, they fit into my tackle kit nicely.
I think I paid about 30 bucks for them. I know another guy who has a set similar, but a different brand, and they weigh exactly the same, so I think they are very accurate.
Just got one of these a few days ago from UK Ebay - these are great and I've had no problems with mine.

J

nimrod

#7 Post by nimrod » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:40 am

Hello mate have 2 sets of these scales and both have worked fine so far 1 set from cabelas 1 set from 3rivers why 2 sets one for archery one for jerky cure cheers hugh :lol:

erron

#8 Post by erron » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:11 pm

I must be too old tech
not sayin nuffink, not sayin nuffink...

E.

Mick Smith

#9 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:46 pm

Jeff

You might like to buy my "old tech" balance scales, so I can invest in an electronic set of scales. :D Mine are old powder weighing scales from my rifle shooting days. They are extremely accurate, to one tenth of a grain, but they are very slow to adjust.

I'm amazed at how cheap electronic scales are becoming. They were simply out of reach to all but the richest not that long ago.

I'd be lost without scales. I use them all the time. I often forget how much my various pieces of gear weigh and it's nice to be able to check. I always weigh my shafts too. It's confidence building to know they are all very similar in weight. 8)

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Buford

#10 Post by Buford » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:18 pm

I too have a set of those digi grain scales.
Best 29.95 I ever spent. (yeah even better than the time i went out and bought me a second pair of undies) :P
I must be too old tech.
:|
guys, help...............Should I?? :D

Jeff, I reckon you just put that out there to see what kinda bite you'd get, yes? :wink:

Buford
Stupid TV! Be more funny!

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#11 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:19 pm

not sayin nuffink, not sayin nuffink...
Best you don't Maaaate! :lol:

Thanks MrRecurve I might get back to you after I hear back from Kim.

Mick,

Yeah mate I like to have scales. I have a cheap set of electronic ones that weigh in grams and they are getting very long in the tooth. I use them for weighing glue and arras. I have used the powder scales and they are VERY slow.

As you say these latest models are great and the prices have come down dramtically. I have seen the ones on the 3Rivers web site - nice.

Jeff

Buford

#12 Post by Buford » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:36 pm

Jeff,

The ones I have, I can change between grams, grains, ounces and some other measurement i aint never seen before. :roll:

Buford
Stupid TV! Be more funny!

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#13 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:51 pm

Buford,

Yeah I believe most of them you can change to a number of weight units. Some come with a calibration checking weight as well.

Jeff