Topo Maps

Any camping and hunting gear that doesn't fall directly under the Traditional banner, but is complementary to what we do: tents, stoves, 4 wheel drives & tyres, wearable gear etc.

Moderator: Moderators

memo

Topo Maps

#1 Post by memo » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:05 pm

I was thinking of getting some topo maps of my hunting areas, and was wondering where you guys get your maps from? Any suggestions?
I went to a camping shop that had maps, and asked and their reply was
"Yeah we probably should get some more in" :roll: so I thought i'd just get them myself

bear74

#2 Post by bear74 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:47 am

Gday Memo,
I get all my topo maps from the lands,planning and enviroment department up here in darwin, I'm guessing you could aquire them from the equivalent in your state.

BEAR
IF IT'S FERAL, IT'S IN PERIL!

ssga

#3 Post by ssga » Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:19 am

in vic i use the 'map shop' they will post an laminate as well. great service 2-3 working days for a foldable laminate map to my door for 15 bucks or so.........

SSGA
Moving forward is relative to where you want to go?

jindydiver

#4 Post by jindydiver » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:06 am

Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

memo

#5 Post by memo » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:16 pm

Thanks guys, just what I was after.
I had a sneaking suspicion Jindy might know where to get a map from :lol:

Mick Smith

#6 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:45 pm

Hey Memo I presume you know about http://maps.nsw.gov.au/viewer.htm . This site allows you to zoom into anywhere in NSW with a topographical map view. I wish there was a Victorian equivalent.

If it works for you, you may be able to print the map of your choice. :wink:

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

hellier

#7 Post by hellier » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:56 pm

That's a bit like google earth...but yeah most of the gov depts are good for maps...mine and nat. resourses are good...and the rural firies maps are good too, they show boundaries to properties..which can be a great help up here ...nothing like being in the wrong place at the right time :wink: ....don't forget your landowners too...they've usually got alsorts of maps of their properties...my fave has an overlay that we place over a topo map with places he's recently seen pig activity...nice fella that he is :lol:
I'd love to have a battle of wits with you.....but you appear to be un-armed.....

Buford

#8 Post by Buford » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:16 pm

Dept of lands (NSW) recently released "current versions" (about 03-04 i think?)
of the 125:000 : 1 topographic maps. I use them for planning rides for the mountain bike club. excellent detail for about 8 -9 bucks. obtainable from your local camping/ disposals store.

Buford
Stupid TV! Be more funny!