Snake proof boots and gaiters.

Any camping and hunting gear that doesn't fall directly under the Traditional banner, but is complementary to what we do: tents, stoves, 4 wheel drives & tyres, wearable gear etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Pete

Snake proof boots and gaiters.

#1 Post by Pete » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:45 pm

G'day,

This year has already been a shocker when it comes to the amount of snakes out. Helped by Lots of rain and early warm weather, they seem to be everywhere.

I've been consideriing investing in a pair of snakeproof boots or gaiters, and was wondering if any else uses them for fishing, hunting working etc.
I've seen a number of different ones at Cabelas in the US but am not sure if they would work with our aussie snakes. Or if it would be easier to buy them from a shop in Australia. But i can't find any who selss them. Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks,
Pete F.

Mick Smith

#2 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:16 pm

Pete

You're right, it a shocker of a year for snakes. I've seen too many already. It's inhibiting me from checking out some of my usual haunts, you know, the ones near water with lots of long grass. I don't mind snakes, just so long as I can see them.

I wouldn't want a pair of those snake boots. I reckon they'd be too hot for our conditions. The gaiter's would be OK though.

I wear a pair of heavy canvas bushwalking gaiters when I'm worried about snakes. Most times I avoid known snake country at this time of the year. I like to be able to walk where I can see the ground clearly, or more importantly, what's on the ground clearly. :D

I've actually stepped on a few over the years. I can levitate like that Kriss Kross bloke on TV. :lol:

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:41 pm

Pete,

There use to be a woman in Kilcoy Qld or somewhere in that area that used to make them and sell them. I think she advertised in the Archery Action at one stage and she attended a few shoots up this way selling them.

I think they would be hot to use - up this way at least. I don't use any myself but I always hunt in long pants which will help to some degree - I hope.

I had a big Mulga out Augathella way strike at me once but I moved as he struck and somehow he missed me. One of the scariest moments of my life. Just about every stick looked like a snake after that and it was hard to keep an eye out for pigs as I kept wanting to watch the ground in front of me. :lol:

Jeff

stace

#4 Post by stace » Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:48 am

Pete
I bought a couple of pairs of the Microtex gaiters from Cabela's last year and they do give a certain amount of confidence to tackle the longer snakey areas
They are a bit warm to wear but are light.I mainly bought them as the browns were out and about a lot last season and I didn't have to watch the son as closely when we split up .AND I HATE SNAKES Most of my hunting is done in the winter though as most summers I am too busy working to get out

The gaiters just give me a bit of protection in case I step onto a bitey
cheer s
stace

Pete

#5 Post by Pete » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:58 am

G'day,
Hopefully this summer i will be spending a fair bit of time out at 'Gumby' bowhunting and fishing. I dont take out the dogs as much in summer due to dehydration and snake bite.
They have been pulling alot of small-medium pigs out of there. Its a fairly big area to hunt and terrain varies all over the island. a few months ago they deliberatlety flooded the place and since then we have had a lot of rain also. Most of the place i will hunt will be in marshy-swampy redgum forest, so i will probably go for a waterproof boot. A bit warm, I know. I might just have to hunt in my thongs with some gaiters on :D. Mick, They also have a few other models of snake boots, of the lace up kind. insulated or uninsulated. but are a bit more expensive.

Stace, What i would like to know before buying the cabelas ones is if they will still be suitable for aussie snakes. Maybe you could test em out for me on a dirty big brown snake or tiger. If you come back, we'll know they work. :wink: I'de hate to be out in the middle of nowhere and get tagged by a brown only to find they aren't good enough here.

Jeff, are the ones your talking about called 'Ripper Gaiters'? I do remember seeing abrand by that name.

Pete F

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:26 am

Pete,

I think that was the name 'Ripper Gaiters'. I wouldn't have remembered the name had you not posted it. I know she used to go to some of the shoots as she came to one of the Longbow Musters.

I found the details with a quick Google search just now:

Ripper Gaiters 532 Kilcoy-Murgon Rd
Kilcoy, Qld, 4515
Ph/Fax: 07 5497 1613
* Durable, waterproof, canvas gaiters fastened with velcro and heavy-duty press studs.

They might be worth checking out.

Regarding hunting in the swamp. A lot of fellas up the NT and such places use diving shoes which seem to work very well. They wouldn't be much good in goat-head burr country though. :shock:

Jeff

bear74

#7 Post by bear74 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:35 pm

gday pete,
huntech sell an assortment of camo gators and clothing i bought some gators from them in shadow grass pattern and they were a bit hot to wear up hear in the top end as they were canvis lined and didn't breath very well but they may be good for southern climates.

BEAR
IF IT'S FERAL, IT'S IN PERIL!

stace

#8 Post by stace » Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:15 pm

Pete
The gaiters are very effective for me cause IF I see a snake then I am in the next town quick !! so I will find it hard to test for you .
However the Microtex gaiters have a carbon fibre like strip in them which completely surrounds your lower leg which a snake will certainly blunten his sharp bits on
All the snake proof gear will only really stop anything to knee height which to me is if you step on one .An enraged snake especially brown may come over the top of that .
If you are in water then he will floating on top so if it is deeper than your gaiter /boot you will have some fun on your hands
all the best with it
stace

Pete

#9 Post by Pete » Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:44 pm

I've just been doing some research and the approx size fangs for eastern browns is 3mm. I know from expereince that tigers love the swampy areas and said to have fangs between 3.5 - 5mm in length. They are the most seen snakes around other than the carpet pythons which have the're own sanctuary out there. I have never seen a redbelly-black snake down here.
That may be the fang length but i have no idea how thick the canvas would have to be to stop them pushing through

I have been thinking about hunting in the swamps last time. sometimes you'de sink down to your knees in the mud, not only do you lose you shoes if there not laces up real tight but knee highs gaiters will probably be no good. theres a few other models aswell that i reckon might b worth a look. I never used to worry about being bitten by a snake, but that cause i would always be hunting with someone. these days i bowhunt on my own.

I let yous know how i go anyway.

Cheers
Pete F

stace

#10 Post by stace » Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:20 pm

Pete
Rue has a set of those high hip gaiters but I think he said they were a tad noisey as you walked they kind of scraped together(give him a pm )

With the Micro tex liners the snake is going to be a bit fang sore if he bites you as they are like carbon fibre
stace

Pete

#11 Post by Pete » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:03 pm

Thanks stace, will do. :wink:

Pete

Mick Smith

#12 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:39 pm

Pete

I was wishing I had a pair of your snake proof gaitors today. I decided to check out some of my rabbit spots. Man the grass is long. After walking several kilometers through knee high grass, I stepped on something long and round that moved. It was only an old piece of black poly pipe, but I did give me a fright. As it turned out, it wasn't really worth the effort as there wasn't many rabbits on that particular property anyway.

My farmer mate down the road reckons he's got heaps at the moment. I might pay him a visit over the weekend. Hopefully his sheep will have kept the grass down enough for me to be able to see any snakes before stepping on them. :shock:

There's no doubt about it, snakes do put a bit of a dampener on hunting at this time of year.

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Pete

#13 Post by Pete » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:32 pm

He he,
nice one mick, yeh that polypipe sure can be deadly :lol: .

I've been out twice in the last week with my curve. the first time i was looking for goats at a spot i have shot a number of em at with the compound. thought i'de have look while i was in the area. no fresh sign, no billy stink = no goats in the area anymore. except a few dead ones i found that means some shooters beat me to it. oh well. went out for rabbits yesterday again and stalked a number within 10mtres, had 2 shots, missed one and lost one. it happens....both places are usually full of snakes, but i didn't see one, damn was i surprised.
doesn't mean they weren't though i spose.

cant let a few snakes stop your from hunting and fishing all together. Just gotta be more careful

Pete F