Motorcycles to gain access to remote areas

Any camping and hunting gear that doesn't fall directly under the Traditional banner, but is complementary to what we do: tents, stoves, 4 wheel drives & tyres, wearable gear etc.

Moderator: Moderators

dawallace45

Re: Motorcycles to gain access to remote areas

#31 Post by dawallace45 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:22 am

I've used both trail bikes and quads and both are fine in the right situation , but both have drawbacks , when I used to hunt on black soil the bike was fine but when I started hunting more on desert blocks where sand was most prevalent it become more tricky and down right dangerous at times , due to a bad back I now find bikes more comfortable than quads on rough tracks but then I've mainly used the smaller quads , the only exception to the roughness was a rather large one that belonged to a mate that cost more than my 4x4 , and the small one I used on a property that had it's own grader and driver , but the very best hunting vehicle I've ever had was a Suzuki Jiminy 4x4 , I could fit all my camping gear in it and drive to the property in it , set up camp then use it to drive around the property and it had the added bonus of not having to tow a trailer

One problem I did have with my bike was that one of the property's I used to hunt on was about 150 km down a dirt road that seemed to consist of mainly bull dust , not having any thing with me to properly clean out the chain and sprockets I managed to wear them out in about two weeks , putting more oil on just turned it all into a abrasive paste

David

Brett Finger

#32 Post by Brett Finger » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:41 am

good advise big fell!
BF..
So long as the new Moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow , so long will the fasicnation of Archery keep hold of the hearts of Men
Foundation member - East Coast TRAD Bowhunters - E.C.T.B - we are smoke, we are rumor
NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him

longbow steve

#33 Post by longbow steve » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:25 am

Most of you have probably seen my set up but I'll add it to the thread. Enough gear on board for a week away in the forests a couple of hours from home. On a small bike any trip is an adventure :) .
100_3714.JPG
100_3714.JPG (132.31 KiB) Viewed 3358 times