What sort of wet weather gear do you blokes own?

Any camping and hunting gear that doesn't fall directly under the Traditional banner, but is complementary to what we do: tents, stoves, 4 wheel drives & tyres, wearable gear etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Mick Smith

What sort of wet weather gear do you blokes own?

#1 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:38 pm

We've just had an extremely cold wet day here in Southern Victoria. In fact it actually snowed in many places at sea level. :shock: Today would be the sort of day where, if you weren't properly prepared, you could "do a perish". I don't think a person would live for long if they were lost in the bush during weather like this, particularly a person without adequate protective clothing.

So, What sort of wet weather gear do you own? I know the answer will vary a lot depending on your geographic location within the country. I've done a bit of tropical hunting and I know a rain shower can be a very positive and invigorating affair. 8)

From my experience, I know lots of blokes don't worry too much about wet weather gear. I must be a bit of a whoose, because I hate getting cold and wet. I've got 3 raincoats, a big bulky 3/4 length Gortex affair designed for you to stay dry while standing under a waterfall, a camo
(advantage timber) Gortex like jacket from Cabelas with a supposedly noiseless suede outer covering and finally another Gortex jacket that's very lightweight and can be scrunched up into a small bundle, ideal for packing. Of course, I don't carry all three at once. :shock:

When I'm serious and heading off into remote country, I always select my 3/4 length Gortex coat. It takes up lots of room in my pack, but it gives me some confidence that if the worst came to the worst, at least I'd be warm and dry. :wink:

I don't worry about waterproof trousers. They are too noisy to wear hunting. I do have a couple of pair of polar fleece trousers that have been treated to shed water. These trousers are very practical and quiet. 8)

How does your waterproof equipment compare? :D

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

tracker

#2 Post by tracker » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:55 pm

Good topic Mick. :D

I have an ASAT 3D suit as my outerwear.

If it's raining/snowing I wear thermals, then an <expensive> Mountain Designs rainproof nylon Jacket + <cheap> nylon waterproof dacks and then put my ASAT over the top.

Simple but effective I reckon.

Works a treat. :D

Mick.
"One has been a bad spectator of life if one has not also seen the hand that in a considerate fashion - kills." Nietzsche.

Mick Smith

#3 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:47 pm

Tracker

That's not a bad idea. You get to be warm and dry, yet maintain your 3D camo. The ASAT 3D suit would be fairly light and wouldn't become heavy when sodden. 8)

This is what I was hoping for, some good original and inovative ideas. :idea: :D Thanks mate!

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

pedro

#4 Post by pedro » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:17 pm

mick ol mate, if i think its gunna rain i just throw in my green poncho. its light and fols down. if it **** down i get down low and tuck my bow in with me.
ped.

Buford

#5 Post by Buford » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:51 am

If I get up early on my day off (rare) and poke my head outside and it looks cold and wet (slightly more rare) I use a technique for staying dry that was passed on to me by my father who got it from his father etc...

First of all you find the thickest socks you have and pull 'em on then you have a big mug of steaming hot tea/ coffee/ bourbon, depending on the night/ morning you are having/ have had, then get the thickest blanket you have and go lay on the couch. I personally guarantee you wont get wet. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Buford
Stupid TV! Be more funny!

Mick Smith

#6 Post by Mick Smith » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:46 pm

Pedro

There's a lot to be said for the old poncho Pedro. 8) It can be totally waterproof with the usual condensation problems because that are so airey and loose fitting. They're usually nice and lightweight and roll up nice and small too. Not only that, but as you say, you can protect your gear beneath it as well.

Matt

:lol: Sounds good to me mate. 8) I've never had much success in the rain either, apart from on pigs.

Mick