What would you carry in the High Country in October?

Any camping and hunting gear that doesn't fall directly under the Traditional banner, but is complementary to what we do: tents, stoves, 4 wheel drives & tyres, wearable gear etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Mick Smith

What would you carry in the High Country in October?

#1 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:01 pm

As we all know, many of us will be going to the Victorian High Country Hunt in October this year.

I was wondering what sort of equipment members might want to carry while wandering around the tall timber in the mountains.

We had a similar thread on this forum not that long ago, but that thread wasn't place and time specific. Let's face it, what you might carry on a Northern Territory pig hunt would be completely different to what you might carry in the Victorian High Country in Spring.

Obviously, we will all be carrying our favourite heavy archery equipment, but apart from that, what sort of equipment would you take?

This is what I intend to carry when out hunting the elusive sambar. My Huntec camo backpack. My gortex "cat and dog" raincoat. My Geko GPS unit. My Silva compass. An assortment of topographical maps of the area. My Puma Hunter's Pal sheath knife. A water bottle. Some type of lightweight snack. Some waterproof matches. A 20 meter length of strong cord. A small file, steel and stone. My camera (hopefully a new digital one). A small pair of binoculars (Tasco 8x20s). A small roll of dunny paper. A small first aid kit. An extra warm jumper. I'll be wearing my thermal underwear, polar fleece shirt and jumper, polar fleece tracky daks, camo jacket, Huntec brimmed hat and Rossi hiking boots.

Is there anything I've forgotten? :?

What would you take? :D

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

coach

#2 Post by coach » Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:54 pm

Some biscuits and a Thermos of Tea :D

bsrecurve

#3 Post by bsrecurve » Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:05 am

mick - yeh - you forgot your bow mate!!! :wink:

coach - dont forget the latest - top of the range ASAT camo dress!
(i think cmas gonna regret this one for a long time :wink: )

Mick Smith

#4 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:10 am

Coach

Are you and your grizzly coming to the hunt? It would be great if you were. I've got a tiny little thermos, good idea mate, I'll pack that along too.

bsrecurve

Doh :!: :lol:

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

coach

#5 Post by coach » Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:41 am

Nah Mick ,, too far for me :wink: I always pack my little thermos full of Tea ,,always good in the cold weather. :D

woody

Re: What would you carry in the High Country in October?

#6 Post by woody » Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:26 pm

Mick Smith wrote:As we all know, many of us will be going to the Victorian High Country Hunt in October this year.

I was wondering what sort of equipment members might want to carry while wandering around the tall timber in the mountains.

We had a similar thread on this forum not that long ago, but that thread wasn't place and time specific. Let's face it, what you might carry on a Northern Territory pig hunt would be completely different to what you might carry in the Victorian High Country in Spring.

Obviously, we will all be carrying our favourite heavy archery equipment, but apart from that, what sort of equipment would you take?

This is what I intend to carry when out hunting the elusive sambar. My Huntec camo backpack. My gortex "cat and dog" raincoat. My Geko GPS unit. My Silva compass. An assortment of topographical maps of the area. My Puma Hunter's Pal sheath knife. A water bottle. Some type of lightweight snack. Some waterproof matches. A 20 meter length of strong cord. A small file, steel and stone. My camera (hopefully a new digital one). A small pair of binoculars (Tasco 8x20s). A small roll of dunny paper. A small first aid kit. An extra warm jumper. I'll be wearing my thermal underwear, polar fleece shirt and jumper, polar fleece tracky daks, camo jacket, Huntec brimmed hat and Rossi hiking boots.

Is there anything I've forgotten? :?

What would you take? :D

Mick
My day pack would go like this
toilet paper, fire lighter stuff, elastic bandages X 3, cord, sharp knife with good steel in the blade, gps, map, headlamp and mag lite torch, silva compass, empty 600 ml plastic soft drink bottle, 1 or 2 packets of lemon tang, muesli bars, and if it looked like rain a light weight raincoat, or if it didn't, one of those disposable rain ponchos( cost about $1.50) and a couple of large heavy duty garbage bags. camera. fresh batteries in everything, and spares back in camp.

Most high country creeks are drinkable ( hasn't hurt me yet) thats the reason for the empty 600 ml soft drink bottle and tang(sugar hit) and there is usually plenty of creeks to refill from.

I'm too fat to carry more than the bare essentials up and down hills :D

clothing will be asat leafy suit, shorts under it, polyppropolene long sleeve t shirt, and a fleecy jumper (3/4 zipper front) and or vest (with a 3/4 length zipper.) I've found it a mistake to dress too warm when walking hills. Boots with a good tread and ankle support. Orange or red hat, cap or beanie.

When I get back into camp I would then put more gear on for the night air.
Three things you can never take back, time past, an angry word and a well sped arrow

Mick Smith

#7 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:20 pm

Woody

Thanks for your comprehensive list of what to take. A small head torch would be worth carrying, just in case you've misjudged the time it takes to get back to camp in the evening. They weigh next to nothing too. :idea:

I agree with your statement that it's a mistake to wear too much clothing when hunting in the bush. I've done that exact thing more times than I care to remember. I suppose it's a case of thinking "it's better to be safe than sorry", but I never seem to learn and end up carrying most of my warm gear in my pack everytime. :oops:

One thing I forgot to mention is my mobile phone. I know we will probably be out of mobile phone range, but I believe that you can ring 112 even when you are out of range and somehow you are connected to emergency services (I may be wrong about this). :?

I reckon the trouble with a backpack is you get a sweaty back with exercise, but there's no better way of carrying your load, IMO. :? I've got a couple of bum bags, but when you load them up, they keep slipping down all the time. They are a real nuisance. They're good with light loads though. I've got an over the shoulder bag that's very good to use, but it sometimes gets in the way when pushing through heavy cover. It's worth considering though, because it's one way of beating the sweaty back syndrome.

What are the garbage bags for Woody? Are they for putting meat into? Actually I don't think this is going to be a problem for me, but I might chuck one into my pack, just in case. :roll:

Thanks again mate for your thoughtful and incisive suggestions. :D

Mick

MrRecurve

#8 Post by MrRecurve » Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:47 pm

Garbage bags for guts?
Walk softly and carry a bent stick............

woody

#9 Post by woody » Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:30 pm

The garbage bags are for meat, back straps etc, but also 3 holes cut( head and arms)make an emergency rain coat or upper body space blanket,( in case of an unplanned night out.) They also weigh nothing to carry :D

I have a bad habit of leaving my run back to camp a little late, plus its easy to take a wrong spur coming off a ridgeline and end up with a few extra Klm's back to camp, so I always have two torches.

Have you ever tried to change the blown globe in a maglite torch in the dark :D Hence the second torch. Coles supermarkets have a neat little headlamp torch with 3 LED's for about $30 / $40

Crows, foxes and maggots tidy up the guts, if you get lucky, nature doesn't waste much.
Three things you can never take back, time past, an angry word and a well sped arrow

erron

#10 Post by erron » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:13 pm

Glad someone else thought of these things, I'm pretty dumb when it comes to camping. Thanks Woody, and others, and Mick, good thread!

:)

Erron