hats

Any camping and hunting gear that doesn't fall directly under the Traditional banner, but is complementary to what we do: tents, stoves, 4 wheel drives & tyres, wearable gear etc.

Moderator: Moderators

gundy

hats

#1 Post by gundy » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:01 pm

When hunting, I usually wear a beenie/boonie for high country or baseball cap for warmer weather.

I have been looking at Akubra's of late, in particular the "Traveler". This has a small'ish brim ( a lot smaller than the rest) and is completely crushable and springs back into shape so you can throw it in your pack if need be. It should be okay with the string clash most hats encounter.

Freddy Bear, Byron Ferguson etc all wore 'noggin tops' or fedora style hats. Anybody have / used these as I am finding myself starting to go the 'wool shirt, brown weekender pants' sort of look! I need the hat, don't I?

What is happening to me?!

So, what do you wear to keep ya brasin from freezin...

Mick Smith

#2 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:21 pm

Gundy

I like those narrow brimmed hats too. I don't know how some blokes manage to shoot with really broad brimmed hats because the string makes contact with the brim. Another good thing about narrow brimmed hats is they don't want to blow off your head in a breeze like their big brothers. I can appreciate your taste for these hats. They certainly look the part. 8)

They're not quite the same, but they have a similar shape, I've been wearing a couple of "Huntech" brimmed hats for the last few years (not both at once :oops: ). I've got one in "Realtree brown" and another in "Wetlands" camo patterns. I like them a lot. They're made of canvas covered with a suede camo material. They are lightweight. You can scrunch them up, and they're rain proof too. Almost the perfect hat. Only trouble is you can't wear them in public because you feel like a geek wearing camo. I have to get one like the one you're talking about to wear in public. :oops:

I must say mate, I'm starting to feel a bit uncomfortable wearing camo gear. All my new hunting clobber of late has been in plain earthy colours, but I will keep wearing the camo gear too until it wears out. :roll:

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:29 pm

In cold weather (not very often for me) I use a beenie. Most of the time I wear an Akubra 'Colly'. It has a 4 inch brim but I curl the left (I'm left handed) front of the brim a little. The string does tend to touch a bit but when hunting it doesn't worry me. If I'm just practicing I find the string touching the brim puts me off though.

Jeff

Lou

#4 Post by Lou » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:31 pm

Just a couple of feathers stuck in the hair :lol: .
Lou

gundy

#5 Post by gundy » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:44 pm

Here is the Traveller. Very similar to the Fedora or 'Barselona' hats that the US guys wore in the early days, but with an Aussie flavour which I like! :)

Mick Smith

#6 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:54 pm

Yeah not bad. I like it. I'd say they'd sell for around the $120 mark? I haven't seen them before though.

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

gundy

#7 Post by gundy » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:59 pm

Mick, they are only new. Part of Akubras lifestyle range. And yep, $120!

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#8 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:08 pm

A Gentleman's hat mate. I'm too ugly to wear somthin' like that. :lol:

Jeff

Lou

#9 Post by Lou » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:16 pm

But seriously, Akubra Heritage Collection with barramundi leather band that I bought more than ten years ago in Jindabyne when fly fishing the Thredbo. Really nice hard wearing hat that protects well from the sun 8) , I grew attached to it.
Lou

gundy

#10 Post by gundy » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:53 pm

She's purty now Jeff, wait till I am done with her... :D

She's comin home tomorrow...

erron

#11 Post by erron » Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:06 pm

I dunno Guy, needs attention from the tractor tyres up front, if ya' asking' me...

:lol:

Erron

pedro

#12 Post by pedro » Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:38 am

i too went for the akubra look a few years ago to get more cover from the 45 deg heat on my neck and ears which my baseball style ones didnt.
i only used it a couple of times as it cooked my head. i even tried ripping the linner out but it didnt make much diff. at 120 a go it was a exy little experiment. now if im hunt in the 40s i use straw hats wich are very cool.
in the cooler months i use baseball style.
cheers pedro

tracker

#13 Post by tracker » Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:45 am

My "Iceman" hunting suit is coming along nicely.

I hope to have it completed by the High country hunt.

Will I be the ONLY one there with a loincloth? :lol:

Mick.
Attachments
hat.JPG
hat.JPG (167.36 KiB) Viewed 5216 times
"One has been a bad spectator of life if one has not also seen the hand that in a considerate fashion - kills." Nietzsche.

Mick Smith

#14 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:26 am

Hey Tracker, you better be careful mate, apparently there's lots of wild dogs up in the high country. Looking like that :shock: , you might get a big dog wanting to mate with you. :shock: :lol:

Mick

gundy

#15 Post by gundy » Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:20 pm

...or an arrow in ya butt... ;)

Hood

#16 Post by Hood » Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:06 pm

or both :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mick 8)
Bow Hunting is my Passion.

My wife says it's my Obsession.

Either way I'm happy.

yavigaaz

#17 Post by yavigaaz » Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:30 pm

Mating dogs? Arrows in the butt? Is this still an Archery forum.. Or has it suddenly changed into some kind of..

I like pizza.. lol

The Akubra hats look awesome!! When i'm finally settled down after i move to Melbourne.. I've gotta get my 'suit' together!

- Jeremy

aroadik

hats

#18 Post by aroadik » Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:33 pm

been wearing an akubra flemington, 60-65mm brim, for the past 2 years- ripped out the linning, now it is perfect, cost $ 115 then and still going strong. here in tas. i found a wool hat ( warmer and very comfy ) it is about the same dimensions as the akubra, is called the scala,and i bought it at the salamanca markets in hobart,seems to be a market line, comes in olive or black. both hats are perfect to shoot in/under ! no string contact, when others copy, it must be good.

piggy

#19 Post by piggy » Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:24 pm

Like Pedro i wear a straw hat for the same reasons, they allow your head to stay cooler as they provide more ventilation in the hotter months.
Otherwise i wear my Akubra or base ball type caps.

hellier

#20 Post by hellier » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:30 pm

Try a tilly, lifetime warranty, floats, waterproof, crushable...blah blah blah...good hat but ! :lol:
I'd love to have a battle of wits with you.....but you appear to be un-armed.....

ssga

#21 Post by ssga » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:14 pm

I just bought a new camo baseball style cap and took the brim down to 2". I missed an easy shot the other day because the string hitting the cap tip instinctively had me "cant" the bow. Wont happen again!!!

SSGA
Moving forward is relative to where you want to go?

clinglish

#22 Post by clinglish » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:19 pm

I use an army boonie hat that is all floppy . I have scrim hanging off it as camo Works well as coz its soft the string isn't a problem.