Hunting Optics?

Any camping and hunting gear that doesn't fall directly under the Traditional banner, but is complementary to what we do: tents, stoves, 4 wheel drives & tyres, wearable gear etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Mick Smith

#31 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:35 pm

Well, I've ordered a pair of 8x32 Steiner Skyhawk binoculars though www.binocular.com.au for $649 plus postage. They're all paid for. Now I've just got to wait for them to turn up in the mail. They should arrive next week by registered mail from Sydney. 8) It's something to look forward to.

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

kodiak

#32 Post by kodiak » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:44 pm

I too have been through the cheap bino saga Tasco, pentax etc, never really knew what I was missing out on, I thought all binos were foggy and out of alignment and fell apart and so on, then one day I saw a set of ZEISS rubber armoured 8x30 dialyt binos second hand in a camera shop for $450 I thought it seemed like a good deal but wasn't sure, so I went and had a look in a shop that sold them new, $1400! I went straight back and bought them, they were in almost new condition with a few tiny marks but you had to look real close to tell, in short, best buy I ever made, I dont know if the ones they make now are still as good (I got mine over fifteen years ago) but I would pay the $1400 or what ever they are worth now, they have been around the world with me, through tropical storms, exposed to 25- 30 below zero temps in Russia and Finland and the Baltic states and 45 above zero in our own sunny desolate places here in OZ, would not part with them, I might buy other binos but I wouldn't sell these!
abide in the state of no mind

Mick Smith

#33 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:56 pm

I've been using my Steiner Skyhawk 8x32 binoculars now for a couple of months. They are nothing short of superb optically, crystal clear and very bright. They will become constant companions on all future hunts.

If you are thinking of buying a pair of excellent quality yet affordable roof prism binoculars, I unhesitatingly recommend this range of Steiner's. :wink:

Mick
Attachments
Steiner binos.JPG
Steiner binos.JPG (34.23 KiB) Viewed 1580 times
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

hellier

#34 Post by hellier » Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:32 pm

I just got a little 12 x 32 monocular...from china but it's a tamron and not bad ata all for 12 bucks all up....bright and clear and rubber armoured too, gonna try it out this week at the favourite spot.....I can't seem to get on with binos....must be eyes too close together ( what does that mean ??? ) :roll: :lol:
I'd love to have a battle of wits with you.....but you appear to be un-armed.....

Mike

Hunting Optics?

#35 Post by Mike » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:17 pm

Kodiak - i have the same Zeiss 8x30B glasses i got 13 years ago from a client and as you i would never part with them. They make hunting just that bit more rewarding when glassing game in such clarity as i am sure any of the high end optics do.
I also got a pair of 8x30 Zeiss from cash converters (haggled em down from $35 to $25 and ran outta there with them :lol: ). They are old as the hills and still outstanding optics.