Whats your hunting vehicle?

Any camping and hunting gear that doesn't fall directly under the Traditional banner, but is complementary to what we do: tents, stoves, 4 wheel drives & tyres, wearable gear etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Mick Smith

Whats your hunting vehicle?

#1 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:01 pm

Many of us own vehicle that we've bought specifically for hunting. Mostly they're four wheel drives, but not necessarily. It seems to be one area where we have definite opinions what's best for us.

I enjoy this type of thread because not only do we get to know a little more about our Ozbow mates, we might also learn a thing or two.

Anyway, I'll start the ball rolling ....... :roll:

I chose to buy a Suzuki Vitara for my primary hunting vehicle. I chose this brand and model for a few different reasons. I didn't have all that much money to spend, but I did want a 4WD, secondhand Suzuki's are nowhere near as expensive as full sized 4WDs.

I wanted a vehicle that was reasonably cheap to run and the little Suzuki is very economical with petrol consumption. I use the Suzi to commute to and from work so I do a fair few kilometers in it. Usually I usually hunt either by myself or with a mate, so space isn't really a problem. In fact, I took the Suzuki up to North West NSW recently pig hunting and it fitted all the camping gear and paraphernalia for two of us for nearly a week. It wasn't overpacked.

It has a nice smooth ride, well as smooth as it can be with the wheels so close together. Its got air-conditioning and a good stereo.

Most importantly, my little Suzuki is very capable off-road. Last year I decided to go down a different track to access a different part of my red deer hunting country. It was in State Forest. I wanted to get there well before sunrise, so I turned off my usual track onto the track I thought would take me to my destination. All was well initially at least, however the track deteriorated quickly into something little more than a game trail. Cautiously, I kept going. The track gradually started to head down into the valley where I wanted to go. At first the gradient was shallow, but it slowly got steeper and steeper. I thought to myself "this is getting too steep, I'll pull up", so I started to gently brake, but the wheels just slid in the mud and grass. Oh well I might as well have steering, so I just kept going, I couldn't do anything else anyway. In the headlights at the bottom of the hill I could see water and lots of it. As I got closer, I could see it was the river that ran through the valley. There was nothing I could do but just keep going. I hit the water hard. Water came up and over the windscreen before it washed back down. The little Suzuki waddled through the metre deep water and up the steep bank on the other side where there was a small flat clearing. I climbed out. I was a little shaky. I was miles from anywhere. I thought I might as well go and have a look around before tackling the seemingly impossible track out. Anyway, after a successful day of hunting (saw a few), I doubting climbed back into the Suzi and turned around, splashed through the stream and waddled with spinning the wheels and crabbing sideways one way and then the other up the very steep hillside. I couldn't believe it. I'd made it. It was that steep I could bearly walk up it. The Suzi is very off road capable! :shock:

Anyway, what do you drive and is it any good?

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

jindydiver

#2 Post by jindydiver » Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:14 pm

I bought a little Holden drover (re-badged suzi sierra) brand new in 1985. It served me well for many years then I bought my dads HJ45 troop carrier. That was a great hunting vehicle. With the false floor in the back I could crash where ever I found myself and be hunting nice and early. The mattress that was in there didn’t cover the whole floor area and in the gap down the side there was a box with all the cooking gear in and some fixings for breakfast, so some mornings I didn’t even get out of bed and I was getting into breakfast.
After my neck was damaged in ‘96 I found the old troopy to be a bit (well, a lot) of a pain in the neck to steer around town, and the rocking of the hard suspension was making the whole thing less than fun so it was time for a new car.
My sister had a dual cab Hilux and with a new baby and all was finding that it was difficult to manage and probably not the best of buys for her, so I bought that off her and still have it.
Here it is all loaded up with the camper trailer and all on our trip to WA in 2000.

Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

coach

#3 Post by coach » Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:17 pm

I've got two weary and tired legs/feet! :lol:

Hood

#4 Post by Hood » Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:31 pm

Nice rig Jindy

I have for now a HJ holden ute have had it for about 8 months. It's great for just hacking about as i don't care about the duco as it was already scratched to buggery. It use to leak, it rattles, it's got some rust in it but it goes. That was until this morning got to work and it had split a hose and was bone dry, but with no working temp gauge I didn't know until I stopped at work, cut and shut the hose filled it with water again and it's still going (for how long is anyones guess).
I'd like to scrap it oneday soon and get a 4x4 turbo diesel of some description, been looking at the new hilux range and the nissan navarra, but who knows what I will get like Mick (Dr) Smith it depends on finances at teh time.

Mick 8)
Bow Hunting is my Passion.

My wife says it's my Obsession.

Either way I'm happy.

stace

#5 Post by stace » Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:52 pm

Mick S
Where you get all these questions ??
My first 4x4 was a HJ 75 troopy .Absolutely great except it had the 4.0 motor naturally aspirated.It would take any load great to camp in, you name it
Then along came daughter # 2 too hard to climb into ,too high well it went (and my V8 4.2 Ford ute)
Along came my current the Toyota 80 series Turbo GLX (NICE )
Its great gets there in comfort all the mod cons'BUT can't (won't )throw a deer /firewood etc in the back so in time it maybe a TURBO Cruiser Ute all decked out .Saw the ideal back the other day ($6,000) then again maybe not .
Time will tell Iam still looking
cheers
stace

hubris

#6 Post by hubris » Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:41 pm

I have the perfect hunting vehical:

Bright Red Magna Advance :roll: , and when I press a special button on the dash the wheels expand and body is raised, turning it into a MONSTER TRUCK MAGNA HUNTING MOBILE. ON the back I draw my special edition 1/2 ton roadster trailer... just waiting for a heap of pigs to be dumped into it 8) :wink:
Saul 'Winks at Goats' & 'Paddles from Crocs'

Hood

#7 Post by Hood » Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:27 pm

Saul I think that you like the goat have had one to many special cigars. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mick 8)

Either way I'm happy.

adam

#8 Post by adam » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:23 pm

The first year that I had this truck I done 120.000km 50% was from hunting. Its amazing what you can't talk the wife into letting you have (lie).
Today she has a big set of muddies on her and some good spotlights for travelling at night. Ultimate hunting partner.
True Wild Range Traditional Bowhunter

Mick Smith

#9 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:28 pm

Jindy, I've often thought that a troopy would be an ideal hunting vehicle. It would be great to have the back set up like a camper, you'd have a guaranteed dry warm place to sleep without the hassles of packing up camp when it comes time to move on. It's a pity your photo didn't come out properly, I would have liked to see your Hilux. I don't know what I'll go for when the Suzi has to be retired. I kind of like the 4WD 4 door Holden Rodeo and the Suburu Forester. Because I've had such a great run out of the Suzuki, I might even buy another. By the way, I own a Holden VT Commadore too, for carting the family around in.

Coach, like you I spent many years hoofing into good country. Its still a good, reliable and healthy method if you're young and fit.

Mick, I like the idea of having a beat up old ute too mate. I've had a couple over the years myself. Very practical machines. A ute is a working machine so a few scratches don't matter. By the way, I think you've been watching too much Lost in Space.

Hubris, why go out a buy a hunting vehicle when you can just imagine the perfect one with such vivid reality whenever you need it. The Magna will get you very nearly as far into most hunting situations as a 4WD anyway.
You're really into backpacking your way into prime country, so a 4WD isn't as desirable for you as it would be for someone who wants to drive into a base camp and then hunt from there.

Stace, I don't know why I ask all these questions mate, maybe I'm just plain nosey. It's fun I reckon. Obviously you've gone to more trouble than most with your hunting rig because you've got the flashest one so far. It's probably close to what most of use would pick "if only".

Here's a picture of the Suzuki.
Attachments
scan0001.jpg
scan0001.jpg (76.84 KiB) Viewed 5491 times
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Mick Smith

#10 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:37 pm

Sorry fella's, that photo sure is big. I thought it would be only a quarter as big. Also sorry about the stupid look on me face. :oops:

Adam, your 4 door 4WD would have to one of the most practicle vehicles for a hunter ever. Excuse my ignorance mate, what brand is it? You've done more k's in a year than I have in 6 years. You must sure get about. :shock:

Mick

Axe

#11 Post by Axe » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:42 pm

Nissan Patrol ST, tray back, tough as nails. :D & 200cc Yamaha AG bike

Some yrs back had a 1972 Datsun 1200 Sedan, at the time was hunt'n bulls to sell to the local pet shop, used to take out the back seat, spread a tarp, chuck in the meat and away we went. If you saw the palces it went you would be :shock: especially when you got 250 pounds of me, & anywhere up to 800 pounds of beef in it, sadly I eventually broke its back.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#12 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:49 pm

We had an old 1983 Hilux dual cab for many years. I put a later model 2.4 diesel and 5 speed box in it. The places we went in it were amazing. I would say it was one of the best hunting trucks I've had.

We now only have one vehicle, a 1994 Toyota Landcruiser diesel wagon. It is a fantastic vehicle and is miles better than the old Hilux but there is one problem. That is I now have to walk further to get into my hunting spots because I won't drive our good Cruiser through the Mulga like I did the old Hilux. She is 11 years old this year but I still won't take it through that Mulga as it scratches up a vehicle something terrible.

After saying this we have taken her on some good hunting trips out west to Cunnamulla, Boulia and into the hills (mountains) near Wellington NSW.

The photo is of the cruiser when she wasn't all that old out at the Devils Marbles. Didn't have a hunting photo scanned in.

Mick,

What sort of longbow do you have there?

Jeff
Attachments
Cruiser.jpg
Cruiser.jpg (60.48 KiB) Viewed 5476 times

Hood

#13 Post by Hood » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:54 pm

WARNING WARNING WARNING RUN WILL ROBBINSON RUN IT'S DR SMITH HE'S GONE MAD :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dr Smith Adams 4b is a Nissan Navarra like I want.
I to have a VT commodore for the family things.

Mick 8)

Either way I'm happy.

jindydiver

#14 Post by jindydiver » Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:21 pm

Mick smith

I don't know why the pic isn't working, but if you cut and paste the address into your browser it will come up.
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

Wareagle

#15 Post by Wareagle » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:07 pm

I had a 100 series Landcruiser 2002, which I would'nt take hunting, until one week before last xmas, when I was T boned. My replacement vehicle is a 100 series Landcruiser Kakadu, which I now take hunting. I learnt my lesson :D

adam

#16 Post by adam » Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:42 am

Its a 03 3ltr turbo diesel Nissan navara mr Smith. Its also been a great family car, work truck and people mover. I've had it in some stupid places trying to get to that far off corner of a property. My hunting partner at the time was Luke griffin in one case. My truck slide down off a black soil track and sat over the side of a steep gully for 48 hours. A rope to the sports bar held it from rolling over. I was about a foot from rolling over the edge. We had other trucks trying to pull us up but to no avail. We finally got a huge winch and pull my baby out. That was a week after I got it, but it was worth it cause we had a great hunt :wink: After that trip I put some Mud eaters on her.

Since then Im still not cautious, you would think id learn hey :wink:

adam

#17 Post by adam » Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:47 am

Mick and Jeff
Theyr'e Good pictures and hunting wagons you have there. Jeff your pic looks like and advert for Toyota, good shot.

Mick my hunting mate mathew bestwick has a suzi. Its unbogable and goes anywhere.

Sparra

#18 Post by Sparra » Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:30 am

Gaday Fella's..I used to have a 87 twincab hilux and you couldn't kill it...In the bush it went where you pointed it although it was a bit sluggish on the road....rust eventually beat it and now i have a 2003 single cab Navara 3l/turbo....the power is great but thats as far as it goes...The gearing is too high for serious 4 wheel driving,it's fairly heavy on fuel,you can't order them with bucket seats and the bench seat is no chop...to put buckets in myself i have to get it engineered for insurance...i had to upgrade the suspension(as has everyone else i know who owns one)and its had a small problem since new that Nissan wouldn't(or couldn't fix)so i had to get it fixed myself...$1200.00 but they did give me $300.00 back as a good will gesture...If i wasn't going to lose so much money i would have gotton rid of it 3mths after buying it..having said this everyone i know with the twincab like Adam's thinks they are great...
Regards..Sparra

Mick Smith

#19 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:45 pm

Jeff that bow is my old Howard Hill Redman 52lb. Adelaide Mick you're a strange dude :lol: :lol:

Mick

Mick Smith

#20 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Jun 04, 2005 9:49 pm

Adam if you treat your own new vehicle like that, don't ever bother asking me for a lend of my car. :shock:

Mick

Hood

#21 Post by Hood » Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:00 pm

Adelaide Mick you're a strange dude
now what ever gave you that idea mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :lol: :lol:

mick 8)

Either way I'm happy.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#22 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:38 pm

Mick S, thanks for info re your bow. Adam, thanks I liked the photo also.

Jeff

Griffo

#23 Post by Griffo » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:57 pm

Was just reading through this thread as my 4wd is probably my second fav hobbie to my hunting (a very distant second however ;))...

Reading of Adam talking about his slipping of the side of the mountain I thought I'd post up some pics of it...

We ended up getting out with the help of the property owner's son who put his cruiser in a spot I was not prepared to attempt to put my new vehicle and we were able to use it as an anchor for a turfor winch...guess who did all the winching :roll:...only because there was no way I was gonna sit in the truck and be responsible for getting on and off the breaks/clutch at the right time to do what we had to to get it out ;) Figured I'd leave that to Ad's so if he went A over T he could explain the damage to his Mrs and I wouldn't have to :lol:

The black marks you can see on the right are where the truck WAS...just out of shot to the left is the cruiser...

OH, and the two days it took us to get it out cost us time up on the reds in Qld :( Ah well we had fun in the long run :D but I sure can tell ya it was AGES before Adam told Kim about it :lol:

Sure gave us both some great memories and a tale to tell our grand kids some day :P

Luke ;)[/img]

Mick Smith

#24 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:41 pm

So Luke, how come Adam's car got stuck on that mild incline? Was it grounded in the middle on a big rock or something? :shock:

More importantly, where's Roza? Or was this pre Roza? Surely that unadorned red 4WD isn't it (I couldn't make out the maker's name on it). :?

That story reminds me of the time I got bogged in a creek crossing. I walked it first and it was only about knee deep, but when I drove across the wheels sank though the harder upper crust and went down to the axles. I had water flowing in one door, through the car and out the other. Without a winch, I had to walk about 20km to the nearest farm and pay the farmer $20 to pull me out (he didn't ask for the money, but I gave it to him anyway). Needless to say, I didn't get to do any hunting at all on that trip.

What you say is right though. I'll always remember that trip, even if it's for all the wrong reasons. :D

Mick

Griffo

#25 Post by Griffo » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:45 pm

It was Pre- Roza mate... She as a Mitsub Challenger...great vehicle :D

I had a Jeep Wrangler between that and my Roza of today.

It may look like a mild incline but the drop away of the gully and the black soil which was only covered by patterson's curse (weed) gave NO traction what so ever.

We tried to snatchy him out at first but as soon as there was even mild tension on the strap I'd lose traction and slide downhill myself, and, if there's anything worse than a stuck vehicle it's two stuck vehicles :twisted: So we opted to ask around town for a turfor, we were lucky...

robbbo

#26 Post by robbbo » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:22 pm

My vechile is a Toyota FJ 55 Landcruiser,383 chev PTO winch 33" all terrains internal rollbar twin diff locks 200l fuel tank 90 gas tank 10l watertank ,hilift jack tirfor hand winch and assorted bits and pieces
Andrew :)
Should mention thats my toy for going away also have a 94 Nissan Navara 3l turbo diesel for the weekend drive when I need to take the wife and kids out with me,much more comfy for the family.

Mike

Whars your hunting vehicle?

#27 Post by Mike » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:36 pm

Here is a pic of mine - turbo diesel landcruiser which i have done a few things to. I am about to start a new tray with an alloy/canvas canopy. Will post the pics when i get it finished in a few weeks i hope :D
Attachments
cruiser.jpg
cruiser.jpg (49.05 KiB) Viewed 5204 times

Griffo

#28 Post by Griffo » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:43 pm

Nice rig mate! :P

I noticed it parked outside when we had our beer and vids night...shoulda had a closer look but it was a bit late (3 am) when you left...next time hey?

Luke :D