car fridges

Any camping and hunting gear that doesn't fall directly under the Traditional banner, but is complementary to what we do: tents, stoves, 4 wheel drives & tyres, wearable gear etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Sparra

car fridges

#1 Post by Sparra » Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:18 pm

Gaday Fella's...Wondering if any of you fella's use a car fridge for travelling???If so what brand,size and what do you think of it...
Regards...Sparra

stace

#2 Post by stace » Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:46 pm

Sparra
Had an ENGEL 60 litre for years ,very happy however its only 12volt /240 and some trips a generator is a hindrance so have taken lately on week trips to taking a large esky with block ice and crushed all salted
Still got frozen food at the weeks end (and the beers super cold )
Talking to a few guys the other day who had just bought a 120 litre Waeco fridge 12/240 and they were told Waeco are coming out with a gas 3 way in june
hope this helps
stace

patch

#3 Post by patch » Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:01 pm

i,ve got a wacoe cf 60 i,d sell my wife before i,d sell my fridge unbreakable
i was aiming there honest

Mick Smith

#4 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:09 pm

Sparra,

I don't use one. If I'm travelling through towns, I just buy at supermarkets for that meal. If I'm going bush I'll take an esky with ice and live "high on the hog" until the ice melts then revert to food that doesn't need refrigeration. I've never felt the need for anything better. Maybe you blokes can convert me? :lol: :roll: :wink:

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Buford

#5 Post by Buford » Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:13 pm

I'm the same Mick, I am rarely away for more than 3-4 days and my evacool esky will keep ice that long. :wink:
Stupid TV! Be more funny!

Hood

#6 Post by Hood » Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:15 pm

Mick S have you ever tried using dry ice or has anyone else for that matter is it good or not and how long would it last compared to normal ice?????\

Lucky for me if I'm down Meningie the property owners have a cool room 2x2m so will be perfect for hanging the deer in when I get one. And tehy also have a huge freezer to.

Mick 8)
Bow Hunting is my Passion.

My wife says it's my Obsession.

Either way I'm happy.

Mick Smith

#7 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:33 pm

Mick

No mate I've never tried dry ice. I don't know where you might buy it. I like the idea of putting water into empty 2 litre cordial bottles and freezing them. I then use these to cool my esky, that way I've always got an ice cold drink as well. I like the dual purpose concept. :wink:

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Hood

#8 Post by Hood » Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:36 pm

Mick you can get dry ice from the ice making companies. I can get it from a ice maker 5 minutes from home but not sure on cost.

Mick 8)

Either way I'm happy.

trophy bowhunts

#9 Post by trophy bowhunts » Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:41 pm

Just love my Engle 40L and now getting another one for the bigger trips as the old freezers just arn't cutting it..

Probably a new Waco 120L, might wait for the 3 way fridge freezer to come this year.

Mick

stace

#10 Post by stace » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:09 pm

Mick
Yeah mate Iv'e tried dry ice on a hunt to Roma a year odd ago in December
You buy it by the number of days you want (days equal to size )
It wasn't bad after 4 days in hot conditions meat was still frozen
BUT as I said now i use standard blocks (frozen buckets /containers )
I freeze myself and just add abag or two of crushed ice to the top ,
ALL salted (some as well between layers)
I separate meat ,veg in plastic container so it isn't floating in liquid as it melts
STILL frozen a week or more sometimes depending where we are .
hope this helps
stace

Hood

#11 Post by Hood » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:16 pm

ALL salted
What you mena by this and why do you do it????
I failed chemistry.

Mick 8)

Either way I'm happy.

stace

#12 Post by stace » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:27 pm

Mick
It forms a BRINE and will make the ice last MUCH longer and colder

IT WORKS !!!trust me
stace
try it this weekend on your stubbies
BUT watch out it will freeze them if they are left too long
stace

TRASH

#13 Post by TRASH » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:38 pm

We run engels in our our work utes and mine has been through 3 utes x 4 years per ute. They belt up and down the gas pipeline in some pretty rough country and extremmly hot conditions. the track is little more than a goats track from ballera sth west QLD to Isa 850 klm for probably 3/4 of the year. CANT KILL EM. When i am away for more than 3 days i get the meat cryoed so you just have to keep it cool not frozen. The man how owns the 4x4 megastore out this way has dropped the Waeco fridges from his line. The early ones were really good apparently but some of the later ones have been having problems with the compressors. I know Butcho has a 60 litre waeco and is more than happy with it.
TOTALLY ROOTED AND STILL HUNTING

Hood

#14 Post by Hood » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:47 pm

Do you put the salt in before you freeze the blocks or put it on top after???
this is probably an obvious ?.

mick 8)

Either way I'm happy.

stace

#15 Post by stace » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:53 pm

Mick
simply sprinkle through the layers
Blocks / crushed /salt /crushed/salt

You only need the blocks for a longer cooling period if you just want to chill your beer down for the footy mate just use all crushed
Even when its almost all melted the solution (brine )water and salt is still very cold
stace

Sparra

#16 Post by Sparra » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:14 pm

Thanks for the reply's fella's,Stace..i forgot all about salting down the ice so i will definatley give it a shot...Mick..I'm pretty sure if you mix water and salt it won't freeze but i could be wrong..The reason i'm asking is that i'm off with TB in a couple of weeks and i don't like hot beer!!!!!
Regards...Sparra

trophy bowhunts

#17 Post by trophy bowhunts » Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:35 am

Hey Sparra I recon the 150l freezer I have got will keep your beer cold... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You recon a carton or 2 will keep you going I thought you would just bring a KEG... :shock: :shock:

Can't wait mate...Got real itchy fingers a present....and I can smell them Cape Boars already...I'm hoping my Widow turns up so I can blood it.

Mick

stace

#18 Post by stace » Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:53 pm

Sparra
Photo's please and a thousand odd words on your hunting trip with TB

Good luck
stace
ps
Have had stubbies very chilled and once bought out into the warm air they will instantly ice up (mainly beer crystals not solid )

Johnno

Fridges

#19 Post by Johnno » Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:10 am

G'day all; This topic has probably run its course, but be that as it may, here goes. Wev'e got an electrolux 3way in our Winnebago, works great on gas!. I also turned my esky into a fridge by incorporating a "peltier effect" solid state device into it. Its not crash hot (or should that be crash cold) but it keeps the shopping in good nick until we get home. Draws 4 amps at 12 volts. Bought the device from Oatley electronics in Sydney, they have got several different types, with different current draw accordingly. Cheers Johnno.

GrahameA

#20 Post by GrahameA » Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:46 am

Johnno

Was the Peltier effect unit complete so all you had to do was cut a hole in the lid and bolt in place or did you have to build it from components?? Like the the series in EA a couple of years agao?

I have seriously been looking buying a cheapy from sopmeplace like Supercheap. The seem to be flooding onto the market at the moment.

Sparra

Brine will freeze - it just freezes a fair way below zero. Sea water, as an example, freezes at zero Farenheit. Which is 32 degrees Farenheit below the temperature at which fresh water freeezes - which BTW is how Mr Farenheit estabished his zero point for his temp scale.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Johnno

Car fridges

#21 Post by Johnno » Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:56 am

G'day Graham; I think I first saw the peltier effect devices in "Silicon Chip", Your showing your age there quoting "EA". The devices are complete with the finned heatsink, cooling fan from a computer, and milled aluminium block for mounting the alloy plate to (the thing that gets cold inside your esky,about 200mm square). Can't remember what they cost, I think about $12.00 ea. I'm going to connect the other device to a piece of alloy irrigation pipe, and make a single champagne bottle cooler for the missus. You'r right about those coolers getting cheaper and cheaper, Iv'e seen them for around $30.00 in Armidale.
Cheers for now: Johnno.

bear74

#22 Post by bear74 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:03 pm

Gday sparra,
I got a waeco cf-80 at the moment and IMO i would not buy a waeco ever again this one is warranty replacement for a another one i had(ff-70) which failed heaps all on big trips into kimberley, arhemland and the like. the cf-80 I've had for 4 months and it has been in for repairs twice already wiring solders broke away on rough roads and electronic panel has burnt out :evil: . My dad has a 35 yo engel and its still going. IMO stay clear of the electronic models and go for the manual therostat ones they seem to be much more reliable.

BEAR