What to wear hunting?

Any camping and hunting gear that doesn't fall directly under the Traditional banner, but is complementary to what we do: tents, stoves, 4 wheel drives & tyres, wearable gear etc.

Moderator: Moderators

coach

#31 Post by coach » Sun May 29, 2005 5:01 pm

well im lazy
No good coming hunting up my way then , what with all those mountains :roll: :wink:

patch

#32 Post by patch » Sun May 29, 2005 5:20 pm

that photo shoud answer the should longbows be allowed to hunt question the answer is yes
i was aiming there honest

coach

#33 Post by coach » Sun May 29, 2005 5:25 pm

Ah ,, but not all can shoot as well as you Patch ,, dont get a big head , it's big enough! :wink:
Anyway lets not drag that back up , I still stand by my comments and it could get ugly! 8) Just like your head :wink:

patch

#34 Post by patch » Sun May 29, 2005 5:48 pm

i dont have a big head or ugly one for that matter :lol: :lol: hey its my big 100 posts woooooooooo hhhhhhooooooooooo

coach

#35 Post by coach » Sun May 29, 2005 5:55 pm

ROFLMAO.. only 6 more for me! :lol:

Mick Smith

#36 Post by Mick Smith » Sun May 29, 2005 7:15 pm

Hey Patch, I'm a bit of a fan of some of the American camo patterns, but I reckon its still horses for courses. In that dead dry grass you might be better of with lighter colours. I see in my Cabela's catalog they have a pattern called "Grasslands". It would blend in well in that terrain.

Obviously what I'm talking about really doesn't matter though, hey mate, cause you got the pig. Its a nice one too mate. After witnessing your shooting skills, I say that pig woulda run outa luck before you even started your draw. I suppose it goes to show that stalking and shooting skills beat flash camoflage patterns any day.

Nice photo too.

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

patch

#37 Post by patch » Sun May 29, 2005 7:22 pm

thanks mick your right the gear i've got blends in really well :D

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#38 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun May 29, 2005 8:55 pm

Mick Smith,

My wife Jude makes my bow socks out of green T shirt material. I have been using them for years. I don't think you need worry about camo bow socks. :D

Jeff

Mick Smith

#39 Post by Mick Smith » Sun May 29, 2005 9:26 pm

Thanks Jeff, you're right. The way I see it, the primary purpose of a bow sock is to stop light reflecting off your bow limb and alerting game. A bow limb being sort of long and skinny probably looks more like a bit of foliage than any pattern on camo.

I like your suggestion Jeff. I could even have a couple of socks, a drab tan one for outback NSW and QLD and an olive one for green scrub. T-shirt material is readily available and nice and cheap. Its also light enough not to effect limb speed. Look out Spotlight :!: Of course the hardest part is going to be persuading my wife to make it for me. I hope she doesn't want me to mow the lawn or anything in return. :shock:

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#40 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun May 29, 2005 9:55 pm

Mick,

Yeah they are cheap and do a good job. Jude made some dark brown ones up for Dennis La Varenne when he was up here once. She makes them so that they stretch a bit to fit on the limbs nice and firm.

I use the socks to stop glare but also to protect the limbs from scrathes etc. Easier to make a new set of bow socks then it is to respray a bow.

I have attached an older photo I had in my hunting folder. It shows my bow with the socks fitted.

I don't really think the socks effect performance much at all. In fact the performance difference would be far less then the differnece between a good and bad release.

Jeff
Attachments
Jeff & Boar.jpg
Jeff & Boar.jpg (60.99 KiB) Viewed 2918 times

Buford

#41 Post by Buford » Mon May 30, 2005 11:28 am

erron wrote: I found a t-shirt that was a camo pattern constructed from naked women outlines! It really looked the deal at a distance, too! Told the wife about it and she gave one of those looks, know what I mean?

:lol:

Erron
Would it surprise you if I said I have one of those? :D

ps. Nice shirt Jeff! :wink: Where can i get one? It will match my new flannocam company car. :lol:
just funnin mate. :wink:
Stupid TV! Be more funny!

stace

#42 Post by stace » Mon May 30, 2005 10:37 pm

Jeff
Nice pic mate and a great set of tusks as well

Yeah Iv'e bought the Flannel shirt and theres a few in the robe but just seem to always go with camo
I DO wear an AKUBRA though that count ?
cheers
stace

Hood

#43 Post by Hood » Mon May 30, 2005 10:39 pm

Yeah and you notice that his flannocam shirt matchs his arrow colours to. Mmmmmmm co-ordinating. :lol: :lol: :wink:

Mick 8)
Bow Hunting is my Passion.

My wife says it's my Obsession.

Either way I'm happy.

Mick Smith

#44 Post by Mick Smith » Tue May 31, 2005 2:40 pm

Jeff,

There's just something not quite right about camo and traditional archery. They just don't seem to mesh somehow. Traditional archery is more about beautiful timber, stunning feathers and sweet smelling leather. Plain practical clothing seems to mesh with the overall theme much better. 8)

I think you're talking me into becoming a flannoflage user. :? Trouble is I've got all that money tied up in top shelf camo gear and you can't overlook the fact that its very well made and the materials are extremely comfortable and practical. Tell you what though, once they wear out I doubt if I'll be replacing them. :P

What started me off on the tirade in the first place was when I was looking at your bow socks in your post, it made me think just how much better they look on a traditional bow than some fancy camouflage pattern would. :wink:

Mick

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#45 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:30 pm

Fellas,

You've all got it wrong, that isn't a flannel shirt! It was summer and it was made from a cotton blend. Winter time is Falnnel time don't ya know? :P :lol:
I DO wear an AKUBRA though that count ?
Way to go mate. :wink:

Jeff