What type of pack?

Any camping and hunting gear that doesn't fall directly under the Traditional banner, but is complementary to what we do: tents, stoves, 4 wheel drives & tyres, wearable gear etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

What type of pack?

#1 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue May 24, 2005 10:38 pm

I have a hunt planned for later in the year. It is going to be rather warm (read hot) and this presents some problems – I will have to carry at least a couple of litres of water.

I have been using a Cat Quiver 4 - I think it’s a 4 – for the last few hunts. It is great for carrying my gear and a hydration bladder but I really don’t like it for carrying my arras.

Anyway on this hunt I want to go back to my over the shoulder back quiver which I had used for the previous 20 years or so. The problem with this is carrying a couple of litres of water comfortably and without it interfering with the wearing of my back quiver.

One mate of mine has used a thin Camelbak and wore the quiver over that. Don’t think that would work real well though.

I have in the past used a waist pack (bum bag type thing) to carry my gear and hydration bladder but the one I had sat to high up my back and my back quiver couldn’t sit in its proper position.

By the way, I don’t wish to use a bow quiver.

My back quiver sits diagonally across my back. Have any of you got some suggestions on a pack I could use that would still allow me to use my back quiver?

Thanks

Jeff

pedro

#2 Post by pedro » Tue May 24, 2005 11:14 pm

mabee u could use a hip quiver with your camel pack or a ice man style quiver(not sure of the prop name).

woody

#3 Post by woody » Wed May 25, 2005 12:56 am

Jeff,
Back quiver/water? You already know what style of quiver you like, maybe you should be rethinking your options for carrying water.

http://www.blackhawkindustries.com/prod ... id=1996&d=

If your carring water not on your back, it will be on your hips, maybe a padded belt like the one in the link, with canteen bottles?
Three things you can never take back, time past, an angry word and a well sped arrow

Rue

#4 Post by Rue » Wed May 25, 2005 1:07 pm

Jeff,
Before I shoot traditional and only had a compound I use a Catquiver 1 with a waist mounted water bottle rigged to the frame of the Catquiver. It was fairly lite, but I has to carry a few other things on my utility belt.
I have seen Stace carry his back quvier across his Camel-back before and i don't recall him having a problem.
The waist hydro. pack i have is 21/2liters and is made by MacPac I think it si a New Zealand brand.

Rick

Buford

#5 Post by Buford » Wed May 25, 2005 3:47 pm

How thick is your back quiver? maybe you could use your camelbak over the back quiver? Might help keep the arrows quiet as well? (not too tight though :roll: )

Buford
Stupid TV! Be more funny!

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed May 25, 2005 5:33 pm

Thanks for the responses so far. Keep them coming!

Pedro, I would prefer to keep to the back quiver. I am used to it and it is a little unnerving (and comical for my mates) when using a different type quiver after I have whacked a good boar and gone instinctively to grab another arra up near my shoulder and they were in my cat quiver down near my backside. :oops: :lol:

Woody, That belt idea is a good one. I have never seen anything like that before thanks.

Buford, Don't like your idea. Sorry mate. :D My quiver collapses and fits to the shape of my back and holds the arras nice and quiet.

Rue, I might see what I can find on the net regarding the MacPac.

I guess I am leaning towards some kind of waist pack that doesn't sit to high up my back. At worst I can drop the pack before the final stalt so the quiver will sit in it's proper position but it would be better to have it sit comfortably all the time.

Anyone else got further ideas?
Last edited by Stickbow Hunter on Wed May 25, 2005 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hubris

#7 Post by hubris » Wed May 25, 2005 5:51 pm

hey mate, I have been stressing over this hassle for months! I too have come full circle through the packs and quivers and decided that I love the back quiver... but as you say... it gets in the way of water etc...

I find it especially annoying because I need a setup that allows both long hiking while hunting + day hunting in one (with a camp base) so until I or Butch make a new "Super All-in-one-quiver-backpack" I've come up with this arrangement:

I have my Berghaus 35+6 backpack with all my gear in it, and inside I have a smaller lumbar pack. I put all my hunting/emergency gear, water and food snacks into the lumbar pack, and put this in last. I then use my backpack straps to hold my quiver on the side where I can access the arrows pretty easily.

If I'm heading out on a hike away from a setup campsite, or if I want to dump my pack to hunt light, I unstrap the backquiver, and take just the lumbar pack. The lumbar pack has harness system and as I said before, hold 2 litres of water (plus snack food & hunting/emergency gear) and allows me to wear my back quiver. I find this all works pretty well...

The lumbar pack is the "BLACK WOLF EAGLE WAIST BAG"and I bought it online from Wellington Supplies (http://www.wellingtonsurplus.com.au)
Attachments
backpack1.jpg
backpack1.jpg (47.17 KiB) Viewed 10504 times
backpack2.jpg
backpack2.jpg (50.18 KiB) Viewed 10504 times
backpack3.jpg
backpack3.jpg (51.92 KiB) Viewed 10504 times
Last edited by hubris on Wed May 25, 2005 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saul 'Winks at Goats' & 'Paddles from Crocs'

Mick Smith

#8 Post by Mick Smith » Wed May 25, 2005 6:53 pm

Jeff,

I went pig hunting last January, and boy was it hot :!: 47 degrees in the shade.

I needed to carry lots of water, plus some other gear as well. I settled on a 2 inch wide webbing belt with 4 x 600ml water bottles slid on, plus a small zip up pouch for my GPS. The water bottles and the pouch had a belt loop fitted, so they could be placed in any position along the belt. I also carried my sheath knife on the belt.

Because everything was adjustable, it was a simple matter to arrange the water bottles, pouch and knife into places on the belt so they didn't interfere with my back quiver. It worked very well. With the quick release buckle it was quick and easy to put on and take off. I wore it high on my hips so the weight of the water wasn't such a problem. The water bottles rode much better 2 on each side leaving nearly all my back free for the quiver.

It was also a nice cheap solution. I picked up the belt from work for free and the water bottles were about $10 each.

Another good aspect of this concept is its flexability. You can leave one or more water bottles at home in cooler conditions and add or subtract pouches, etc as you see fit. Also because only the belt actually touches your body directly you don't get so hot and sweaty as you would with traditional packs.

It worked for me mate. :wink:

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

stace

#9 Post by stace » Wed May 25, 2005 9:35 pm

Jeff
I will go along with Saul as I have tried many variations so I could use my backpack /Hydration .
Find it is easy if coming on to a good boar or such to drop the pack and quickly unclip the backquiver for a close in stalk or just use it clipped along side for unexpected shots
I don't have much room for anymore gear on my belt as it already carries ,Penders Broadhead sharpener,Bino's,knife.,digtal camera and small pouch containing mirror,whistle, blood trail marker ,munchies,ash puffer all for quick at hand use .
cheers
stace

hubris

#10 Post by hubris » Wed May 25, 2005 9:44 pm

Yep... and to add to what Stace has said... I've been trying to practice with holding 3 arrows in my bow hand as I shoot so that I could really drop the pack, grab a couple of arrows and close in.

I used to be able to do it easily with my takedown because it had a shelf, but and finding it a little harder to master shooting off the top of my hand and with the heavier poundage... but like all things in this... with practice I'll get there! :roll: :)

Hood

#11 Post by Hood » Wed May 25, 2005 9:48 pm

Hubris you look a little like John Travolta with the sidburns mate. :lol: :lol: :wink:

Mick 8)
Bow Hunting is my Passion.

My wife says it's my Obsession.

Either way I'm happy.

hubris

#12 Post by hubris » Wed May 25, 2005 9:51 pm

I'm quite sensitive to the cold just in front of my ears and they help break my shape up while stalking in close! :wink: 8)

Mick Smith

#13 Post by Mick Smith » Sat May 28, 2005 1:04 pm

Jeff, does your quiver always sit tight and upright against your back? I have found carrying a back quiver much more efficient and convenient by having a much longer strap. I can have it pulled up so it fits tight and angled across my back, or if I simply push the quiver back down slightly, I can crawl under low branches without catching the fletching. The arrows make less noise too when in a more horizontal position.

The only drawback with having it set up this way is when the quiver is almost horizontal below your armpit and you need an arrow quick, you've got to pull the strap (at the front, near your shoulder) to place the quiver where you can reach an arrow. It becomes automatic after a short time.

I like Hubris's concept of having your back quiver attached to your backpack. It solves most problems very well. The only drawbacks I can see are that moving through thick brush would be a nightmare and the hot sweaty back syndrome of wearing backpacks in extreme heat.

I had to laugh when I read about you reaching over your shoulder for an arrow when using the Catquiver :lol:

I've been checking out the latest and greatest in quivers from the States. I reckon one of the backquiver type designs where you can access arrows from down near your side would be the go. They're similar to your Catquiver in that each arrow is held individually, but they hang down under your armpit. There's a few different designs, all based on the same concept.

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

patch

#14 Post by patch » Sat May 28, 2005 1:26 pm

the goat on hubrises avatar is singing stayen alive :lol:
i was aiming there honest

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#15 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat May 28, 2005 4:22 pm

Thanks again for the replies. I am not needing a full pack so there is no need to attach the quiver to a pack as such. I only need a day pack.

Mick, I make my own quivers and they sit diagonally. I only use the one strap so I can manoeuvre the quiver easily for going through the bush etc as you have mentioned. Have attached a photo from a few years ago which shows the quiver on my back. I was hunting with TRASH at the time.
selfbow 2.jpg
selfbow 2.jpg (129.19 KiB) Viewed 9565 times
I really do like the back quiver so am looking at something to work with it. I will have to go and have a good look around.

Thanks

Jeff

Buford

#16 Post by Buford » Sat May 28, 2005 6:59 pm

what about a bladder that could work with your back quiver?

I have an insulated Camelbak bladder that can be strapped to the outside of a backpack. I use it when i go snow skiing each year. I has 4 D rings that you can secure it to the outside of any backpack or bag.

heres a link to the camelbak website with some info on it. It's called "StoAwayâ„¢" note the D rings down the side.

cheers
Buford

http://www.camelbak.com/rec/cb_prod_int ... uct_id=174
Stupid TV! Be more funny!

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#17 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat May 28, 2005 10:14 pm

Thanks Matt. I will take a look.

Jeff

stace

#18 Post by stace » Mon May 30, 2005 10:39 pm

Jeff
Ive got one of those Camel Bacs as well its handy for when I need extra water simply straps onto the out side with the "D"s

stace

Mick Smith

#19 Post by Mick Smith » Tue May 31, 2005 2:15 pm

Jeff,

What about a large over-the-shoulder type of bag? It would have several advantages like not interfering with your back quiver, not being too hot as it doesn't press up tightly against your skin and being nice and easy to access at any time.

I've got an old "Hardy" bag designed primarily for flyfishermen. Its nice and roomy (about 24 inches long by 12 inches high). Its has lots of separate sections and pockets. Its made of heavy duty canvas with a leather trim. I often take it bowhunting and I like it a lot. You could easily put 4 or so water bottles in it and have plenty of room to spare for whatever. Its very traditional as well.

Just a thought.

Mick

Mick Smith

#20 Post by Mick Smith » Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:34 pm

Jeff

I don't want to rush you, but I'm curious about where you're "at" with your decision regarding the ideal pack set up for your requirements. It seems to me that you're leaning towards a hydration bladder in conjunction with your back quiver. It could be the way to go. :wink:

Last weekend I went goat hunting with a younger fitter bloke. It probably wouldn't have mattered much except for the fact we hunted in the steepest, most rugged terrain I've ever experienced. My mate thought nothing of bounding hundreds of feet, straight up 45 degree slope jumping from boulder to boulder, sort of like a goat himself. I huffed and puffed a long way back behind him, dragging myself through the prickle bushes. It wasn't hot, but I sure was. My mate had a hydration pack. I had plenty of water in bottles, but I think he was better off than me because he could have frequent sips of water, whereas I had to sit down and open my backpack in order to have a drink and that made me fall even further behind. I got there eventually though. We saw loads of sign, and a few nannies with kids at foot. We let 'em be. It was a good day. 8)

Mick

TRASH

#21 Post by TRASH » Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:08 pm

Jeff no Photo mate,,,
But having seen you in action with your cat quiver you prbably should stick with your back quiver at least that way you wont cut your finger on the broad head eh mate......
[b]and [/b]perform for the rest of the week fella's. good thing i had ear plugs.
TOTALLY ROOTED AND STILL HUNTING

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#22 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:40 pm

TRASH,

You have a good imagination!!! :lol:

Mick,

Still haven't had time to sort things out for sure but I'm fairly certain I will be using my back quiver and some type of hydration pack. I've been to busy sorting out bows and arrows first. :D

I will let you know what I decide on mate.

Jeff

MICC

Backpack Hunting

#23 Post by MICC » Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:34 pm

Jeffrey
I have to agree with Trash, you are alot safer with a back quiver ol mate.
You seem to use alot of band aids when you are using that cat quiver, not to mention the shameful disregard you have for your arrows.
Letting someone drive a Landcruiser over your cat quiver full of arrows...... shame on you Jeffrey.(lucky they were carbons) hahahaha
MICC

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#24 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:22 pm

Well well MICC,

What rock did you crawl out from under? :lol:

Yeah you and your Landcruiser, I remember. :oops: You know, that Cat Quiver is still holdin together. That Loctite sure is good glue. :D

Carbon arras! :shock: Just as well they were quality wood arras mate or they would have broken. I've been tellin' folks on here that those Vic Ash shafts are tough! They have to be - oh what a feelin!!! :lol:

Jeff

P.S. I got the bows sprayed. :wink:

snakeeater

stoway or make your own

#25 Post by snakeeater » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:58 am

I found a description of the Stowaway that wasn't in German and it looks like what you are looking for, it holds 2L of water.

Like you, I wanted to be able to carry my gear AND a back quiver and thought of making up a rig with two long pouches that would attach to either side of my back quiver, or one longer one that attachd to the lower side of the quiver. That way I would essentially have a day pack that sat across my back and held my gear and my arrows.

Another option is to just use a fanny pack and move it around a bit so that it sits to the side and doesn't contact your back quiver.

And finally, check out this pack from Cabelas. It goes over one shoulder, the right one I think, so you could wear both the pack and quiver over your right shoulder, just adjust the pack to hang a little lower. You might also attach your quiver to the packs strap.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... lts1.jhtml

Good luck,

Snakeeater

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#26 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:36 am

Snakeeater,

Thanks for that info. The Cabelas pack is an interesting idea. I am left handed so that maybe a problem although the pack looked as though it may go over either shoulder - couldn't tell for sure going by the photo.

I only have about 4 weeks to till my hunt so I better organize something pretty soon. Just been busy with other things like making a new bow and sorting arras. :D

Thanks once again.

Jeff

Miguel_R

#27 Post by Miguel_R » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:46 am

I think that maybe you guys are overlooking a time honored solution. Ever see Howard Hill with a pack? What they did in the old days, and what we should do is easy: Hire a bunch of natives to carry everything. Water, extra bows, arrows, food, tents, tables, cots, stuff for tea time, everything you shoot, etc.

"Bwana! Bwana! Simba! Simba!"

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#28 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:36 am

Miguel,

Finally someone has come up with the perfect idea!!! Only problem is that the natives I'll be with would leave my stuff behind. :lol:

snakeeater

#29 Post by snakeeater » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:22 am

Stick, yeah and do you really want to trust that your bearer was there behind you when you want that followup arrow on an angry 250 lb boar?

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#30 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:37 pm

Snakeeater,

Nah mate, the arras stay with me at all times. :D

Jeff