What type of pack?

Any camping and hunting gear that doesn't fall directly under the Traditional banner, but is complementary to what we do: tents, stoves, 4 wheel drives & tyres, wearable gear etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Mick Smith

#31 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:40 pm

Jeff

Now your trip is over, the question remains. How did you organise your arrows, pack and water supplies? How satisfactory was it? How would you do it next time after having this experience under your belt?

I think your solution to the problem may be of benefit to lots of fellas heading off to hunt in the dryer and hotter regions of the country. 8)

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#32 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:55 pm

Mick,

Well I was still trying different options on the trip. I tried a couple of different methods and didn't like either. :?

First up I used a waist pack for water and gear and my usual back quiver. I find this is a bit uncomfortable with all the weight around the waist. Also the quiver can't sit in its normal position because the pack sits a bit high which makes the bottom of the quiver ride up higher.

I then tried a thin model CamelBak and had the quiver over the top. Although this kind of worked it isn't something I like. Once again the back quiver couldn't sit as it normally would. Also on long walks my left shoulder (I'm left handed) really started to feel the weight as it had a strap from the CamelBak over it, the quiver strap and my binocular strap. When you are carrying 875 grain arras in your quiver it tends to weigh a bit. :D

As much as I love using my back quiver I think I am going to have to try something else next trip. My Cat quiver would work but I don't like how low it hangs and is bulky when you want to get low for the final stalk.

I shudder at the thought of a bow quiver so I think my only other option is to perhaps try a side quiver of some sort and a CamelBak for carrying water and my gear. Didn't you say Mick that you got a new one recently? Have you got a photo of it?

Jeff

Mick Smith

#33 Post by Mick Smith » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:14 pm

Jeff

Thanks for replying. I did buy a side quiver a while back. I've got nearly every style of quiver now, from a very good bow quiver (Thunderhorn), an excellent back quiver (made by my local saddler to my specifications) and of course my Great Northern Sidekick quiver.

Since I've owned the Sidekick, I've been bowhunting at least once or twice a week and it's been the only quiver I've used. Yes, I like it.

You may not like it though because it only holds 5 arrows. You're probably used to carrying lots of arrows in your back quiver. I've found that I never use all 5 arrows on the one trip. I sharpen up any arrows that I've shot straight away in the field and just keep using it.

Anyway mate, here's a photo of it. 8)

Mick
Attachments
sidekick quiver.jpg
sidekick quiver.jpg (13.06 KiB) Viewed 2285 times
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#34 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:14 pm

Thanks Mick. I remember seeing a photo of it now. I think I would want to be able to simply strap it around my waist rather than hang it over my shoulder though.

You are right regarding the number of arrows, in most circumstances five arrows are plenty but if you are hunting pigs etc and are on a longish walk I like to have a few extras. :D

Jeff

Mick Smith

#35 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:01 pm

Jeff

Have you seen this style of quiver? I would imagine that you may prefer this style as it's more traditional looking and it could hold more arrows. Another good thing about it is, a man of your talents could make your own. 8)

Mick
Attachments
6252X.jpg
6252X.jpg (40.46 KiB) Viewed 2255 times

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#36 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:11 pm

Mick,

Yeah I have seen them and they have possabilities. I think I would still rather have something that uses a waist strap though. I think either of the two you have shown could be adapted to this. I will have to sit down and see what I can work out when I have some time.

Jeff

Pete

#37 Post by Pete » Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:46 pm

G'day,
Now i'm having the same dilemma for the High country hunt. I want to use a backquiver, but need to take all the usual gear and water asewll. I've hunted (with compound) with a hip quiver up north and round here but i'm no longer a fan, so switched to bowquiver, but i dont like the feel of the bow quiver that i put on my recurve. Hmm what to do!!

Jeff, i had a similar experience to yours..when i started archery i was shooting an old fibreglass lonbow and then barebow compound, my quiver was just my backpack zipped open, and i was used to shooting the arra and reloading from it. so when i went on to using a bowquiver i'de instictivley try to grab the arrow from my back, despit the fact they were attached to the bow in front of me. Dah! :oops:

Pete F

kodiak

#38 Post by kodiak » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:44 am

what about sewing a long pcket to the out side of your back quiver (the side nearest your back) long enough to slide a camelback resevoir into, if you aren't confident enough you could get a saddler or other pro leather worker to do it!
abide in the state of no mind

snakeeater

How about...

#39 Post by snakeeater » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:38 am

Jeff,

You could strap the camelbak onto the outside of your back quiver and run the drinking tube down the quivers shoulder strap. A piece of tape would hold it in place.

Or...how about having a new backquiver made that has two compartments. one would hold your arrows and one would hold a water bladder from a camelbak or other brand. You can buy the water bladders separately. I know that Cabela's and Bass Pro Shop offer them, or take the one out of your Camelbak. I have been thinking about this myself but just haven't done it yet.

If you can't find what you want/need in the marketplace then make it yourself, or have someone make it for you.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#40 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:58 am

snakeeater,

Thanks for the suggestions mate. I feel the CamelBack attached to the quiver would be a bit heavy and awkward hanging off the one shoulder. It is very hot when I am hunt most often so I carry a 3 litre bladder - equals heavy. I have used a Cat quiver but they hang a bit low when you get down on your hands and knees for the final part of a stalk.

The back quiver with a bladder made up could work but perhaps the arrows would stick up to high?

I was generously given a Martin side quiver by another Ozbow member and I am going to try that. I just have to convert it to left handed which won't be very hard. I plan on do a temorary attachment so I can adjust where it sits until I find the position that suites me the best.

I just like a back quiver so much and after nearly 24 years it is hard to change.

Perhaps you should try and get down this way and enjoy some of the hot hunting with us Aussies. :D

Once again thanks everyone for all the suggestions.

Jeff