What's good stuff to carry in your pack?

Any camping and hunting gear that doesn't fall directly under the Traditional banner, but is complementary to what we do: tents, stoves, 4 wheel drives & tyres, wearable gear etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Mick Smith

What's good stuff to carry in your pack?

#1 Post by Mick Smith » Fri May 20, 2005 9:31 pm

Sorry all you blokes, I'm in the mood for asking questions. I hope you don't mind.

All bowhunters like to carry a few items around with them whilst hunting. They are usually items that we think might be useful. No two blokes seem to agree on what you need to take bush with you. I thought it might be interesting to compare notes with one another and find out what others consider necessary. What I'm talking about here is hunting trips into wild or semi-wild country for at least one day.

I'll start the ball rolling.......for a start, I like to carry my stuff around in a variety of bags/packs. I've got over the shoulder bags, small rucksacks and bumbags. I use them all for time to time, mainly depending on weather conditions and the duration of the trip. Personally, I like my bumbag. You don't get a sweaty back and it doesn't swing around in the hard going.

I carry.......Binoculars (small lightweight ones)....GPS (small weatherproof)......At least one knife....Sharpening tools (small 6" file/small stone/quality pull through carbide sharpener.....Waterproof matches.....Compass....Length of cord (about 3 metres)....Snack......Water bottle....mobile phone.... camera....First Aid Kit (very small)....waterproof jacket....one day soon maybe a tomahawk.

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

hubris

#2 Post by hubris » Fri May 20, 2005 10:00 pm

Hey Mick, it's nice to chat about these topics you've been raising... I always learn something.

Both Tracker and I like to head out for a few days, and hunting while hiking so our gear has become quite minimalist. My main gear (aside from food & water) is always under 5kg in the extreme months when I need some extra sleeping gear, or when I need to carry more water. During the mild months it gets down under 4kg. I generally carry:

30-45 litre light backpack (collapsable) in that I carry:
- lightweight hiking hammock, it's cover doubles as a rain-cloak (700g)
- 3 season sleeping bag (800g) or summer sleeping bag (300g)
- (optional) flannelette pyjamas (very warm and toasty!! :D 8) :wink: )
- food & water (most importantly tea!)
- (optional) water filter
- cooking gear; cup/billy, foil (folded into small squares), butter sachels, McDonalds salt and pepper, KFC wipes (thanks Tracker!), detergent sachel, herbs & spices rubs & marinade sachels.

Lumbar pack packed inside backpack, which I take out on a day trip leaving the other stuff nack at camp, which has inside it (as well as the water):

- first aid basics
- matches & flint
- candles
- salt (for skins)
- mobile phone/digital camera.
- GPS, maps & compass
- small mirror
- spare feathers, string for fletching, and glue.
- bushfood pocketbook
- (optional) winter gloves

On my waste I carry: binoculars, knife, leatherman (includes file, serated and skinning knife), fox whistles.

When hiking my back quiver is held onto my backpack with it's straps and sits on the right for drawing arrows, otherwise it's over by back on top of the lumbar pack.

I wear dunlops, flanny, boony cap.... oh yeah... and pants! :oops:
Saul 'Winks at Goats' & 'Paddles from Crocs'

Mick Smith

#3 Post by Mick Smith » Sat May 21, 2005 12:00 pm

Thanks Saul for your comprehensive reply. I too get very wrapped up in ancillary aspects of hunting. Your gear list makes interesting reading. :idea: :wink:

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

TRASH

#4 Post by TRASH » Sun May 22, 2005 10:15 am

Mick
just a few things i carry in me hunt only pack approx 10 litre is

Knife
steel
stone
snake bite kit [4 elastic bandages]
extremly bacic firstaid kit [mainly blister tape,plastic skin,betadine swabs and asterile blood stopper pad thingy, combined with the snake kit you can cover most things. i figure i will get stabbed ripped bitten or sprained.
survival kit [space blanket,matches and mirror] for after the snake bite.
camera
gps
epirb [so they can find my body after the boars have finished with it]
spare string
spare set battrys [4 aa]
4 ltr water
puritabs
TOTALLY ROOTED AND STILL HUNTING

Mick Smith

#5 Post by Mick Smith » Sun May 22, 2005 12:13 pm

Trash, I reckon we can all learn something be observing others. We all do things for a reason. I'm interested to hear that you carry an epirb, I've thought about buying one for myself. I also find it interesting to combine your snake bite kit with your medical kit, it makes good sense.

I suppose a lot of what you carry depends on the location where you hunt. When I'm up north hunting pigs and goats, I always carry heaps more water then when I'm hunting deer in the rain forests near home.

So far we all carry GPS's. They are so small and light they're definately worth carrying, even if only for peace of mind. They are getting cheaper all the time too.

I've thought about carrying a survival blanket or an ex army hootchie. They could mean the difference between life and death in certain situations.

Thanks mate for sharing with us. :wink:

Mick

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun May 22, 2005 12:25 pm

I carry a leatherman on my belt. On the waist strap of my pack I tape a couple of snake bite bandages.

In my pack I carry 3 litres of water, a couple more snake bite bandages and a small first aid tin with pretty much the same items as TRASH. I always have a compass on me as well. I also have my folding knife and a steel in there and matches and or lighter and some muslie bars. I always carry my little Maglight torch and it has been very handy over the years. I do carry a GPS sometimes - I borrow my son's when he isn't using it as I don't own one.

By the way, good thread Mick. As you say it is good to know what others carry. We're never to old to learn as they say.

Jeff

tracker

#7 Post by tracker » Sun May 22, 2005 3:29 pm

As Hubris said.. we like it light. He is fit. I am fat. :lol: I think using things in multiple ways is important if you can.

For a mornings hunt I have on my belt, my 8x21 nocs, hunting knife, and a 1L canteen. Fox whistle is tied to the canteen. Small oilstone, mini lighter, whistle, mirror, extra-large garbage bag, space blanket, 2 x compression bandages, 12 x codeine tabs and 8' of para-cord is tucked in the bottom of the canteen pouch.

My compass is round my neck on some more cord.

In my quiver's back pouch I have a pair of disposable gloves, babywipes, salt, an open weave fertilizer bag to carry skins or meat in <how HOPEFUL am I??? :lol: >, and this is where I tuck beanies, gloves and facemasks or scrim scarf when I'm not wearing them.

That is as light as I've been able to get it and still feel "safe".

I would like to add an EPIRB to my kit.

My camping kit is very similar to Hubris's except I use a Silnylon tarp for shelter.

Mick.
"One has been a bad spectator of life if one has not also seen the hand that in a considerate fashion - kills." Nietzsche.

adam

#8 Post by adam » Sun May 22, 2005 4:16 pm

I carry all the general items for field dressing and survival. Much the same as you guys carry.

Something I practically like to have in my packs is surgical groves for skinning or meat prep. They can be left inside out in your pack and tossed in the bin when you get home. This saves sticky hands and using valuable drinking water when water is not present on the land. It would also save things like month rot getting into any little cuts on your hands which can lead to a lot of trouble.
True Wild Range Traditional Bowhunter

Hood

#9 Post by Hood » Sun May 22, 2005 6:19 pm

I have very similare things to you guys. I got a Blue tongue hydration pack when in NZ (at cost price) :D
But I have now got a few more ideas from you boys, as I have been trying to fit as much in my pack but in a minimal way. if you know what I mean.

How much salt do you guys carry??? and how much is enough to do a fox skin, deer skin????

Adam Whats
month rot
?????????

Mick 8)
Bow Hunting is my Passion.

My wife says it's my Obsession.

Either way I'm happy.

Axe

#10 Post by Axe » Sun May 22, 2005 6:29 pm

Carry a varied selection of what's already been mentioned, plus I carry scalpel blades & suturing needles & thread. Don't laugh, about 8 yrs ago did a Rambo & put 6 stitches in my left forearm below the elbow joint :)

Mick Smith

#11 Post by Mick Smith » Sun May 22, 2005 8:18 pm

I was just thinking about this thread and I suppose it depends on whether you're hunting with a mate or hunting alone as to what you should carry and how that might mean the difference between life and death in some situations.

I usually hunt alone. Most often I prefer it that way, because you only make half the noise and half the smell that two would make. It increases your chances and I like to do as I please. Anyway I'd be in real strife if I say, broke my leg miles from anywhere. A GPS wont help me. My mobile phone might work, but it might not. My waterpoof jacket would keep me reasonably dry and warm, but a space blanket would be better. Maybe I really do need an epirb. At least you could expect help quickly after activating it.

Another thing that given me food for thought is my preparedness for a snakebite. I only carry one snake bite bandage. I see some of you carry much more. I need to check to make sure I'm adequately prepared.

Not only has it been very interesting to see what everyone carries, its possible that one or more of us might just live a little longer if or when the poo hits the fan, after having put more thought into this subject.

How much are the epirb things anyway :?:

Mick

hubris

#12 Post by hubris » Sun May 22, 2005 8:50 pm

Hey TRASH firstly how was the trip up north?? and how did Cosmic Al go with his bike... or more to the point... how did you go with his bike? :lol:

Yes, I've been holding out for one of those EPIRBs because I heard they're about to release gps/epirbs soon (in the next 6 months). One of those would defintely be useful given the mobile doesn't work everywhere.

How many other guys on the forum hunt and hike at the same time? This has a huge influence on your gear, and more importantly, how you pack it so that it doesn't interfere with hunting.

Hey Tracker... glad to hear you and ROry had a great time :D I got the side stepping of the house done so Kathryn is happy, and I'm in brownie-points credit!! :D :wink:

Mick, they sell between $200-300... here's an example:

http://www.ja-gps.com.au/epirb.html

another 175grams!!! :x

stace

#13 Post by stace » Sun May 22, 2005 9:17 pm

Well we all carry the same kind of gear with a few exceptions

In my backpack /Hydration 3litre also is

a tube of "SUPER GLUE " instead of needles and thread as in axes
a hit of betadine and a few dobs of Super Glue and she's closed up (when dry )
Also doubles for emergency glue ups
Space blanket saw that somewhere
Gerber multi tool
small piece of tyre rubber (for lighting fires that won't light due to damp or rain, NZ hunter trick )
LED head lamp/spare AAA
Surveyors tape for marking blood trail or Toilet paper can be duel purpose here
Whistle (lil Thunderer and plastic so she don't rattle with gear)
nut bars /meusli bars /chocolate ,tuna and crackers
Cuppa soups
collapsable cup
Hexamine tabs(Tuna can doubles for heating cup sometimes)
plastic shopping bags for skins or rubbish
especially disposable surgical gloves ,nothing worse than pulling back and anchoring and getting that all too familiar stink of BILLY GOAT.
sometimes a very small bottle(hotel shampoo bottle sample) of ISOCOL
or similar for the stink of the above on arrow and hands

cheers
stace

adam

#14 Post by adam » Sun May 22, 2005 9:54 pm

Mick I only have salt in camp or at home. Even in hot dry country skins will last for some time if left to cool. If back packing I carry a little but not heaps. I also have a day pack and a hike pack and what I carry depends on the country, animal hunted, and time of year.

Mouth rot not month rot sorry.
Goats can carry this, Its pretty noticable as there mouth is actually rotted away to some extent. Is very nasty. Don't know much more on this mouth rot. A mate near lost his hand because of it.
True Wild Range Traditional Bowhunter

hubris

#15 Post by hubris » Sun May 22, 2005 10:18 pm

stace wrote:Surveyors tape for marking blood trail or Toilet paper can be duel purpose here
ahhh... duh... never thought of that one!

Hood

#16 Post by Hood » Sun May 22, 2005 10:35 pm

Toilet paper is the next most vital piece in the pack next to water. :lol:

Mick 8)
Bow Hunting is my Passion.

My wife says it's my Obsession.

Either way I'm happy.

Axe

#17 Post by Axe » Mon May 23, 2005 8:00 am

stace wrote:
a tube of "SUPER GLUE " instead of needles and thread as in axes
a hit of betadine and a few dobs of Super Glue and she's closed up (when dry )
Also doubles for emergency glue ups

You're right Stace, I always carry super glue as well, used it just last yr when my mate cut his finger with a b/h :) Certainly preferable to the needle, tried the super glue first on my arm, to my discomfort it didn't work :( although it was painful I was pleased I had the other option :)

Mick Smith

#18 Post by Mick Smith » Mon May 23, 2005 2:50 pm

Hey fella's, I quite happy with the way this has turned out. I think we have all learned something here. I surely have.

Thanks to everyone for adding your points of view. 8)

Mick

stace

#19 Post by stace » Mon May 23, 2005 10:06 pm

Axe
can imagine the arm was a tad painful .
I guess the blood was a bit plentiful and the glue won't work
Don't think I carry enough RUM to stitch myself though
You gotta be one tough hombre.(I hate needles )

Saul
Mate those boars can get nasty ,you need to be prepared at both ends
cheers
stace

Mick Smith

#20 Post by Mick Smith » Mon May 23, 2005 10:28 pm

A few years ago when I was fishing in a remote location, I managed to hook a good trout and as I was taking the hook out, managed to embed it into my index finger well past the barb.

I didn't want to have to go to a hospital or doctor to have it removed, as that would spoil the trip, so I quickly, before the numbness turned into pain, pushed the hook clean through my finger and out the other side. I then cut the barb off with my leatherman pliers. Then slapped a bandaid on it. You're probably thinking at this stage just how tough I was. Well I thought I was pretty tough too, but that was before I fainted :roll:

Its amazing what you can do when and if you need to.

Mick

hubris

#21 Post by hubris » Mon May 23, 2005 11:06 pm

Mick Smith wrote:I was pretty tough too, but that was before I fainted :roll:
hahahahah... I had a similar experience with a flute wine glass years ago...and my right foot... I was over at Trackers playing silly buggers when I stepped on it. I fell on the ground (I was somewhat ******) lifted my foot to my face to see what I had done, and that when a big chunk of meat fell out revealing my arteries and tendons, and a impressive blood "feature fountain" appeared. That was about the same time that after calling Tracker over, that I passed out also hehehehe... :roll: :roll: :roll: :oops:

Luckily Tracker bandaged it up while I was off with the pixies...

There's a lot more to this story in the sequel of the "Witches Cursed Blanket" but I'll save that for the Vic HC Hunt round the fire... I'll bring a special blanket along [whoooooooooiiiiihhhhoooooooooo....]

note: that's supposed to be a ghostlike sound :x

I've got better with my own blood since :wink:

Axe

#22 Post by Axe » Tue May 24, 2005 7:55 am

stace wrote:Axe
can imagine the arm was a tad painful .
I guess the blood was a bit plentiful and the glue won't work
Don't think I carry enough RUM to stitch myself though
You gotta be one tough hombre.(I hate needles )
Don't know if it was too much blood, or the constant dripping of tears into the wound when I was trying to glue it :cry:
&
You know what they say Stace, "No brain, no pain" :)
Last edited by Axe on Tue May 24, 2005 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stace

#23 Post by stace » Tue May 24, 2005 9:42 pm

Axe
still nice to be prepared .
Had a couple of so called rifle hunters ask me once why I carried a backpack . They couldn't work out why you needed a first aid kit ,water and such as the thread discribed . It dawned on them eventually as they discribed one of their trips they had when the hunted ? a gorge for 10 hours without food or water, on climbing out of the gorge at sunset they discovered they had climbed the wrong side .Back down they went ,didn't get out till 10pm in total darkness.Some people are slow to learn .Have had others ask me for a drink after I had walk it in ,they hadn't taken any water"we're tough" they learnt as well.
cheers
stace

Mick Smith

#24 Post by Mick Smith » Tue May 24, 2005 9:53 pm

Stace, I reckon a good portion of the fun of being a bowhunter is in the preparation for a hunt. Having the right gear, but still having a nice light pack is all a part of it. Its akin to making up arrows and choosing which bow to take.

Its a real nice feeling strolling along, equiped for almost anything. 8)

Mick

stace

#25 Post by stace » Wed May 25, 2005 9:52 pm

Yeah Mick
And the best thing is the more you use it the more you tend to streamline it to suit your needs
SO WE NEED TO USE IT MORE aye
cheers
stace

walker

#26 Post by walker » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:19 pm

i have found small pruning cutters a real handy item. when trying to keep quiet getting through a brushy area. if you take your time it is a noisless opperation and better than pushing your way through. compound bows seem to snag easily, as do 3d suits. a couple of snips usually gets you out of a difficult, noisy situation. you can buy them with a belt pouch at places like crazy clarks for about $5.

bmlongshot

#27 Post by bmlongshot » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:05 pm

Sorry new response to old thread.
in my pack and/ or pockets are

folder w/ sharpening stone/file
space blanket with water puritabs tucked inside
matches plus lighter pilus striking mag. steel
rubber gloves
tracking tape
spare string
panadeine and advil
beanie to wear and wrap all this stuff up in
small camera
2 lrge garbage bags
40 ft od nylon cord
emergency rain coat
spare tab or glove
sense of enduring hope
this all roles up into a very small space and can even fit into my cargo pants pocket.

growing up i carried my bow, a few arrows, some muesli bars and a knife and would disappear for days. i'm always trying to carry less stuff than more.
mind you this list has to be altered if travelling north purely for water carriage. I've probably left some stuff off here but hope fully its just stuff that i needn't carry in the first place.
cheers
ben

Mick Smith

#28 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:58 pm

Ben

My "sense of enduring hope" takes up all the room in my packpack. :lol:

Thanks for the input. :wink:

Mick

hubris

#29 Post by hubris » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:59 pm

Mick Smith wrote:Ben

My "sense of enduring hope" takes up all the room in my packpack. :lol:

Thanks for the input. :wink:

Mick
Hehehe... yes. Problem is it's really hard to pack at the beginning of a trip because it takes up SO much room, and sometimes at the end of a unsuccessfull hunt you're left wondering why you packed it in the first place?

Actually, I've just changed my whole setup, finally changing over to the Nimrod packs (http://nimrodpacks.com/hunt/hunt.html). My new pack arrived the other day and it's great - really impressed. Great for those who are into hiking/hunting where you want to be able to hike to a location, drop off the main part of your pack, and just use the lumbar section for the hunt. Removes the whole necessity for multiple packs.

Can't wait to give it a good test up Mt Isa way this Christmas - Kathryn has signed my 'excursion slip' :D :D :D

I've got the Pith helmets packed and ready! :wink:

Mick Smith

#30 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:23 pm

Saul

I had a look at that site. Which pack did you go for?

The perfect pack would be very light, yet very strong. It would be large enough for extended trips with a detachable daypack for when you got to your destination. It would be completely adjustable to allow for a perfect fit. It would be extremely comfortable to wear. It would detach from it's frame to allow you to haul the meat out. It would be totally silent when moving through thick brush. It would be totally waterproof and it would come in great camo patterns. It would also be relatively cheap to purchase. Is your's anything like this, mate? 8)

Mick