What's good stuff to carry in your pack?

Any camping and hunting gear that doesn't fall directly under the Traditional banner, but is complementary to what we do: tents, stoves, 4 wheel drives & tyres, wearable gear etc.

Moderator: Moderators

hubris

#31 Post by hubris » Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:21 pm

Hey Mick,

Yep, finding the right pack has turned into an obsession for me. but now I'm finally happy.

I ordered the Guidespotter Pack combination with the extra GPS and side pouch, but I'd like to add the summit pack to it later. That's what I'm so impressed with their system for, you can easily add or subtract from their base harness/lumbar pack.

I like to hunt and hike at the same time - as opposed to setup a large camp and stay there. In the past I've had big packs that I couldn't use a back quiver with, and I've also had to pack a smaller lumbar pack inside my pack (taking up more space) in case I decided to set-up camp and head off for a day hunt/wander. Th big pack were also uncomfortable to stalk with, unlike the NImrod pack.

With this new system I have just one pack for everything. I can hike and hunt with a back quiver, and then unclip the spotter pack and drop down to the base lumbar pack/harness if I find signs of game and want to wander off from a camp spot. The base belt pack has ample room for a 2litre lumbar pack bladder, a first aid kit and either some extra gear depending on the weather (which is the other big challenge in my region: having 4 seasons in one day).

I also like the fact that it's not in camo. It means I can take it up into the National Parks with (non-hunter mates) and not look like some weekend warrior (which also doesn't help with property owners in my experience - since I tend to just wander and meet with them as I'm hiking around).
Saul 'Winks at Goats' & 'Paddles from Crocs'

Mick Smith

#32 Post by Mick Smith » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:01 am

Saul

You've obviously put a lot of thought into your selection of the ideal pack. I follow your logic and concur, it's a good choice.

I hear what you're saying about camo packs. On a family vacation last year, we did lots of hiking, day trips mostly. My camo packpack made me feel slightly conspicious and self conscious in public. I would have much preferred to have been carrying a plain olive green one, in fact, my next daypack will be just that. When you think about it, your pack shouldn't been seen by game anyway, as it would be behind you.

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

hubris

#33 Post by hubris » Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:54 pm

re camo...yep... property owners look at you like a wanker. Also, I reckon about 90% of the time, the camo is to make the human feel like thy're hiding - I reckon, smell, movement, and sound is more important.

Anyhow... yep... very happy with the pack :D

Hey Stace... are you and ET coming up? I'll order an extra two Pith helmets? :wink: 8)
Saul 'Winks at Goats' & 'Paddles from Crocs'