bush pack hunting equipment

Any camping and hunting gear that doesn't fall directly under the Traditional banner, but is complementary to what we do: tents, stoves, 4 wheel drives & tyres, wearable gear etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Hood

bush pack hunting equipment

#1 Post by Hood » Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:02 am

Hi guys,

Just wanted to know what are the bare essentials you would take to hunt for 3-4days bush.
I need to consider this as I have a bad back from a car accident 7yrs ago and now have constant pain 24/7 and depending on what I do depends on how bad it gets and how long it lasts for before it settles back to the normal pain level I constantly have, I have a 15kg lifting restriction, but I have found that even lifting 8-10kg for a prolonged period becomes painful.
So as you can see I need to keep things as light as possible with out sacrificing the essential equipment needed to take the trip.

Mick
Bow Hunting is my Passion.

My wife says it's my Obsession.

Either way I'm happy.

doug

#2 Post by doug » Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:08 am

Hey Mick,

You could simply work from a base camp that you can drive to (or almost). I like to keep that kind of camp at least 1km from where I'll actually hunt, downwind by prevailing winds if possible. That means you can have all the camp comforts you want AND carry next to nothing around during the day (bow, quiver, binos, water, snack and an ultralight emergency kit).

Otherwise you can punch "ultralight backpacking equipment list" into google and get piles of pages on the subject. The page at http://www.backpacking.net/inventry.html looks pretty good, as does the one at http://theory.lcs.mit.edu/~e_lehman/Ult ... mping.html

Hope this helps somewhat. Should be interesting to hear what everyone else has to say.

-doug
To join Australian Primitive Archery Mailing List email aus-primitive-archery-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Hood

#3 Post by Hood » Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:35 am

Cheers Doug

will check the sites out.

Mick

Either way I'm happy.

MICC

#4 Post by MICC » Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:51 pm

G'day Mick
Some of the fellas out this way have been into the backpack hunting for a while now, we have found that most of the packs end up around the 20kg mark, that is with 3 - 4 litres of water, if you can hunt an area that has a good water supply, that will make backpacking alot easier and lighter.
In one of the Aussie hiking / adventure mags (Outdoors or Wild ) I saw a light weight cart that you sit your backpack on and pull it along, maybe with your crook back and load limit this may suit you.
If you want any more info on this I might be able to find an address for you.
MICC

Hood

#5 Post by Hood » Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:07 pm

Micc

Thanks for the idea.
I wonder If Wollies or Coles will notice 1 trolly missing, I'm thinking 1 trolly and 4 wheelbarrow wheels will do the trick. :lol: :wink:

If you find the address that would be great, but I'll still have a hunt around on the net to find it or something like that.

I guess it depends on how much you want/can ruff it as to how much you will need to take.

Oh and one other thing guys what would be the essentials for the first-aid kit?

Mick

Either way I'm happy.

tracker

#6 Post by tracker » Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:54 pm

Hey Mick.

First aid kit ESSENTIALS.

A compression bandage. For snakebite or a sprain or big cut.
Cloth Adhesive Tape 20mm. Better than bandaids for cuts in the scrub.
Codeine based painkillers. Will also stop you up if you get the "runs".
Tweezers. I HATE splinters and thorns. :wink:
Spaceblanket.

That is what I carry on my waistbelt for bushwalking or hunting. I used to carry heaps of first aid gear. Enough to operate! :roll:

All of the above gear fits in a small ziploc. As "extras" to my first aid kit I also always carry a sharp knife and a hanky. The hanky doubles as a wound dressing for an emergency.

Hubris and I have been trying to get our packweights down for a few years now. For a four day trip our packs are under 7 Kgs each. That's for a winter trip and for summer my pack is under 6 Kgs. WATER IS EXTRA!!

Saul carries a high tech water filter that allows us to refill our canteens or bladders from the most shocking scungy foul puddle and get crystal clear water. For summer I reckon this makes a HUGE difference. Instead of carrying 5 or 7 litres we only carry 2-2.5 Litres max! Much easier.

If you want I will post a list of my light gear. It is NOT expensive to get into lightweight camping gear but some of the stuff you can pay a LOT for.

I know a lot of hunters like to get out of their truck and hump a swag and lots of other heavy gear. Personally I like to be a few kilometres from the nearest track with all my gear on my back and able to stop where I like. :D

Sorry for the long post but I've got a big mouth.. hahahahaha...

Mick.
"One has been a bad spectator of life if one has not also seen the hand that in a considerate fashion - kills." Nietzsche.

Hood

#7 Post by Hood » Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:01 pm

Tracker,

long post so what! You don't ask you wont find out the answers.

If you could email the list I'd be a happy little camper.

Mick

jojomick@bigpond.net.au

Either way I'm happy.

jindydiver

#8 Post by jindydiver » Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:34 pm

Yeah Tracker, I have been using a "PUR" filter pump for over 10 years now and I can get water from soaks under paperbarks if I want to dig a small hole. In Tasmania in '94 we drank water from yabbie holes found under the tussocks.
I normally take a 2 litre bottle and the pump and a collapsible bladder that holds 10 litres for at camps.

Mick
On your new place you could take anything you can fit in a car for a few trips till you check out where you are likely to want to camp and where the hunting is. Later when you have yourself sorted out better you could make the hard decisions.
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

Hood

#9 Post by Hood » Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:32 pm

jindydiver
Mick
On your new place you could take anything you can fit in a car for a few trips till you check out where you are likely to want to camp and where the hunting is. Later when you have yourself sorted out better you could make the hard decisions.
Thats some sound advice, thanks.

Mick

Either way I'm happy.

TRASH

#10 Post by TRASH » Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:35 am

Im with you tracker as far as the first aide kit goes,
You are either going to stab/cut ya self with a knife/broadhead ,a boar might get hold of ya more cuts and stabs not to mention the wailing and screaming and snake bite or sprain.
I carry 3 elastic bandages ,one absorbent pad,and a roll of wide elasto plast tape .
With that ya can cover stabs and cuts, snake bite,sprains and blisters
I also throw into that sealed pack a small space blanket.fire lighter and signal mirror.
Thats me emergency kit it goes everywhere.
TOTALLY ROOTED AND STILL HUNTING

TRASH

#11 Post by TRASH » Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:43 am

MICC
Bloody hell man!!! 20 kg it would only weigh half that if ya left the port, cheese and hair dryer at home. Not to mention if you put the fishing lures on the line properly they wouldn't keep falling off and then you would'nt need to carry so many. I won't even go near how many arrows you thought we needed to carry another 10 kg there i reckon.

yours in aching backs and sore feet

PS , the pysio said i will make a full recovery and the back pain should ease over time.

TRASH

#12 Post by TRASH » Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:50 am

Eh tracker
We been using the siam hammocks last two trips ,EXCELLANT but found even in mild cool temp say 15 deg they are bloody cold on ya kidney/back
In summer with night temps running around 30 they are good but it sort of defeats the purpose if you start taking thermo rests for ya hammock ya may as welll sleep in the dirt. What do you fella's do , I used to just go feral and sleep in the sand with a mozzie net no blanket nothin ,But i am getting old nearly 21 ya know.

doug

#13 Post by doug » Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:03 am

There's a few things I'd have in by bum bag emergency kit that Tracker doesn't. Sharp knife, lighter and strong twine/fishing line. But these shoukld be in your quiver anyway :) A stainless steel signalling mirror (don't have one right now tho). The codeine is a good idea!

-doug
To join Australian Primitive Archery Mailing List email aus-primitive-archery-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

Hood

#14 Post by Hood » Fri Oct 08, 2004 5:08 pm

Trash

I can do with out the hair dryer if I must (not that I have a lot to dry) But mate I draw the line at leaving the port at home, I'd sooner leave the tent at home then the port! :lol: :lol:

Mick

Either way I'm happy.

tracker

#15 Post by tracker » Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:56 pm

Jindy said
I normally take a 2 litre bottle and the pump and a collapsible bladder that holds 10 litres for at camps.
I carry a 4 Litre wine bladder as my "camp" water container. Folds up really small and is TOUGH and free. After you've drunk the wine. :wink:

The water filter that Jindy talks of is a GOOD one. It really makes a huge difference not having to carry water in the summer.

Mick.
"One has been a bad spectator of life if one has not also seen the hand that in a considerate fashion - kills." Nietzsche.

tracker

#16 Post by tracker » Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:12 pm

Trash said
Eh tracker
We been using the siam hammocks last two trips ,EXCELLANT but found even in mild cool temp say 15 deg they are bloody cold on ya kidney/back
In summer with night temps running around 30 they are good but it sort of defeats the purpose if you start taking thermo rests for ya hammock ya may as welll sleep in the dirt.
I've got an ex army hammock that I sometimes take bush with me. I mostly use it for slinging during the day so I can have a snooze before hunting. Lots of yank lightweight bushwalkers swear by a brand of hammock called Hennessy. But they all chuck a thermarest into the hammock to sleep on.

Me and Saul went looking for pigs in the mountains in the winter. Saul forgot to pack his thermarest one time and it must have been minus 15 at least that night. He discovered that trying to heat the entire earth with his body heat didn't work very well. :wink:

I have a 4 cm thick, 3/4 length self inflating mat - Brand is EarthMat - it is VERY tough and VERY comfortable. It is the largest item I carry. It is about a third bigger than my minus 5 sleeping bag. I am too fat and I like a nice comfy bed when I'm sleeping on the ground. :D
What do you fella's do , I used to just go feral and sleep in the sand with a mozzie net no blanket nothin ,But i am getting old nearly 21 ya know.
hahahahahah.. you old fella you! You'll need a walking stick soon. :wink:

In the summer my sleeping gear is a groundsheet - 7' x 3' cut out of a large silver Tarp. My 3/4 Earthmat, light (400 gms) sleeping bag and a army disposal mossie net that I have cut down a bit.

Winter or Summer I carry a Salewa 8' x 8' Silnylon impregnated Tarp. It weighs about 300 gms and since I've had it I have never used a tent. It has worked fine down to minus 15 and snowing. I don't carry a raincoat these days cos if it is pouring or snowing I just drape the tarp over me as a poncho. To really go lightweight you NEED to make all your gear do double or triple duty. That's the trick to lightening the pack I reckon. :D :D

Mick.