Have you tried a Buff yet?

Any camping and hunting gear that doesn't fall directly under the Traditional banner, but is complementary to what we do: tents, stoves, 4 wheel drives & tyres, wearable gear etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Mick Smith

Have you tried a Buff yet?

#1 Post by Mick Smith » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:28 pm

I first heard about Buffs during the course of indulging in my other big passion, fishing. If you haven't heard of them or seen one, here's a link to one on ebay ... http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/UV-Realtree- ... 2595b0a959

You can get them in thousands of different colours and patterns, including plain colours and camo. What makes them so good? I'd say their versatility and ease of use, their comfort factor and most importantly they're good for your long term survival. Skin cancer kills thousands of Australians every year.

Basically, they're a form on sun protection. You can wear them in a variety of different ways, so you can use them in a way that suits any occasion perfectly. You might decide to simply wear it as a neck scarf, but from this position you can quickly pull it up to completely cover the back of your head, your face and nose, giving you total sun protection. Generally, you wear a buff in conjunction with a hat of some description.

Why wear a Buff when you've got a perfectly good hat? While a broad brimmed hat offers great protection, a Buff goes even further. It completely stops UV sunlight reaching your skin. If you're around water, you will often still get burnt, even when wearing a hat, as the UV light will reflect off the water. Often when you're wearing just a hat for head protection, the back of your neck is still often exposed and this is one area where lots of people get skin cancer.

Hunters will find another great use for Buffs. They make one of the best face masks you can get. Just pull the Buff up over your nose and your face will almost disappear from view. I've used mine when fox whistling and it obviously works very well. It would work for other game species too, I'm sure.

All in all, they're a very handy piece of kit. They don't cost much and they last a long time. They don't take up any space and they're very lightweight. They're very versatile indeed. These days, I don't go anywhere, particularly in the warmer months, without one.

Give them a go, and I'll bet you will learn to love them as well.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

little arrows

Re: Have you tried a Buff yet?

#2 Post by little arrows » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:59 pm

we buy from http://www.headsox.com.au/ - aussie company.
Great for winter too keeps the cold air out from around your neck. :smile:

bigbob

#3 Post by bigbob » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:07 am

Geez, Mick at first I thought you were getting about with a water buffalo balanced on your noggin!
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

rodlonq

#4 Post by rodlonq » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:47 am

No I haven't, I have a frill neck instead...

http://www.frillneck.com.au/catalog/pro ... cts_id=116

I am thinking the buff or head sox may be even better for extreme situations like canoeing etc.

Cheers... Rod

hardgainer

#5 Post by hardgainer » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:08 pm

Thanks for the link Sue.....been eyeing this style for a while....just grabbed a couple seeing their local and reasonable price.....good one.

Mick Smith

#6 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:32 pm

rodlonq wrote:No I haven't, I have a frill neck instead...

http://www.frillneck.com.au/catalog/pro ... cts_id=116

I am thinking the buff or head sox may be even better for extreme situations like canoeing etc.

Cheers... Rod

There's nothing wrong with a frillneck Rod. I have one too and they're great. I don't use mine for archery though, as the peak interferes with my bow string. I use mine when I'm out fishing for the whole day in summer. I think they're slightly more comfortable than a Buff or Head Sox for extended sessions.

For archery and bow hunting I like to use a Buff in conjunction with a bucket hat. The small brim doesn't interfere with the bow string, yet it shades my eyes and I rely on the Buff for total sun protection.
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Mick Smith

#7 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:35 pm

bigbob wrote:Geez, Mick at first I thought you were getting about with a water buffalo balanced on your noggin!

:lol:

Mick Smith

#8 Post by Mick Smith » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:41 pm

hardgainer wrote:Thanks for the link Sue.....been eyeing this style for a while....just grabbed a couple seeing their local and reasonable price.....good one.
I reckon you will like them Tony. I like the fact that you can wear them around your neck, like a scarf. They don't get in the way and they're not hot to wear. You can them simply pull them up for added protection if needed.

When I've been out fishing in real hot weather and it starts to get unbearable, I just take my Buff off and give it a quick dunking in the water and then I put it back on. It's amazing how cool it feels.