ArkPak, has anyone used one?

Any camping and hunting gear that doesn't fall directly under the Traditional banner, but is complementary to what we do: tents, stoves, 4 wheel drives & tyres, wearable gear etc.

Moderator: Moderators

rodlonq

ArkPak, has anyone used one?

#1 Post by rodlonq » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:14 pm

I have been contemplating buying a battery pack to leave with the camping trailer to run an Engel and other small powered gear. Was just wondering if anyone has used the ArkPak and was it a good experience?

For those that don't know it, you can see it here http://www.arkcorp.com.au/p/3231/arkpak ... attery-box . The best price I have so far is $399 from Ray's outdoors. Not cheap for a battery box that has no battery in it, however it has a lot of features. May even invest in some solar panels to keep the charge up to it.

Any thoughts anyone? Thanks.

Cheers...... Rod

woodie

Re: ArkPak, has anyone used one?

#2 Post by woodie » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:47 pm

I have the blue one and I love it. A mate of mine got me a 100amp/hr deep cycle battery for it. If I was to buy a battery for it I would get an optima gold top and yes get some solar for it.
woodie
may your arrows fly straight and true and your limbs return.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:07 pm

Rod,

I looked into these and other options last year when we bought our Triton. There wasn't enough room under the bonnet for a decent sized second battery so it had to go in the tub. We use it to run our Engel and for powering our caravan as well.

I decided against the ArkPak for a few reasons. The main reason was that it only has a very small 6amp charger in it so it takes a very long time to recharge the battery. The second reason was I was paying for features that really weren't of a lot of use for me. The inverter as an example, while they can be handy, they aren't real efficient (from my researching) as they use a lot of battery power. Thirdly the ArkPak (or any normal battery box) used up space in the back of the truck where it would be difficult to pack other gear on top.

In the end I built my own system and I am extremely happy with it. I used one of those Pelican cases around 700mm long. In this photo you can see I cut a hole in the front of it and placed a vent plate over it. I did the same at the back so the box was ventilated.
Battery-Box-1.jpg
Battery-Box-1.jpg (127.94 KiB) Viewed 7957 times
As you can see one half of the box is used for my battery system and the other for storing what I normally carry in the truck - tyre repair kit, snatch strap, jumper leads, spare fuel filters etc.
Battery-Box-2.jpg
Battery-Box-2.jpg (141.5 KiB) Viewed 7957 times
In the close up of the battery system you can see I used a 20 amp Ctek D250S Dual DC/DC Battery Charger. This charges the battery reasonably fast when on the road and allows solar panels to be attached directly to the charger. I used a 120ah AGM battery. I lined the floor and the back of the case with 19mm ply.
Battery-Box-3.jpg
Battery-Box-3.jpg (144.57 KiB) Viewed 7957 times
For my power sockets I used a ready made Baintech Universal Panel. These are actually for external mounting in their own alloy casing but I didn’t want it sticking out from the side of the Pelican case so I pulled the front panel off, drilled some holes in it and after cutting the right size hole in the case, mounted it as in the photo below.

This panel has a switch (which I mounted inside the case) to turn the power to it on and off. It also has a great feature where it will cut the power to anything plugged into it if the battery voltage drops too low. There is an override switch for this though if you need to keep something running.

As you can see in the photo below this panel has a voltmeter, cig socket, Engel socket (where the lead is plugged in) and a twin USB socket.
Battery-Box-4.jpg
Battery-Box-4.jpg (106.89 KiB) Viewed 7957 times
This last photo shows where two power leads enter the case just below the handle. Both are connected via 50amp Anderson Plugs. One lead is the power lead from the main battery under the bonnet and the other goes to the rear of the vehicle to power the caravan. By using these Anderson Plugs I can just unplug the leads and take the box out of the truck if I wish to.

You will also see two unused Anderson Plugs at the rear, one to attach a Solar Panel and the other for accessory power for a 12v compressor or similar.
Battery-Box-5.jpg
Battery-Box-5.jpg (90.49 KiB) Viewed 7957 times
I have a second Pelican Case the same as this one. It is my camping box so it will sit on top and interlock to the lid of this one and in doing so utilize the available space in the back of the truck much better than if I had just used an ArkPak or normal battery box.

I have not used the ArkPak you are looking at Rod but like Woodie I have used the earlier blue version. I think either one would be good if you just go camping for a weekend and can then recharge the battery at home.

Whichever way you decide to go remember that while these boxes are portable you wouldn’t want to be carting them around a lot as, depending on the battery you use, they can weigh 40 - 45kgs. My 120ah AGM battery weighs just shy of 37kgs on its own.

I will add that I had never really done any Auto Electrical work (other than running wires for a UHF or similar) prior to this so it took me quite awhile to put my system together.

My system did cost more than an ArkPak but I ended up with an auxiliary battery system that suited my needs better.

Anyway that may give you some more to think about mate. :biggrin:

Jeff

rodlonq

#4 Post by rodlonq » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:35 pm

Thanks for your input woodie, it seems I am at least on the right track.

Jeff, a very comprehensive and well thought out response, thank you :biggrin: . That could be an ideal condensed buildalong for this topic. I reckon you have made a pearler box that seems to suit your needs very well 8) .

I had considered building up something but just lately time is my most precious commodity. Your solution looks ideal and has all the features I would want, except maybe the 240 charger the ArkPak has, however, I have two other battery chargers to pick from that could be plugged into the Ctek device for slow charging at home or just for maintenance (float mode). I could just set up the solar panels at home to maintain the battery charge while it is at home doing nothing. Maybe even run some 12 V lighting in the new shed to give it a bit of exercise :smile: .

Does the Ctek take over the role of voltage regulator when you plug solar panels into it, or do you still need to have a reg on the panels as well? Will probably buy a folding solar panel arrangement with a regulator anyway, so it can be used otherwise to charge the car batteries, or a small battery for an electric outboard etc....

As for making room for the other gear.... I already have a box with the air compressor, recovery gear, tools, axe etc. This one has permanent residency behind the front seat of the troopy. It too has a mating box with cooking gear etc. in it that may sit atop the tools, so I am looking at making a dedicated battery box (or just buying the ArkPak). I will also have to take it out of the trailer after every trip or it won't be there the next day :lol: LOL.

The more I look at your solution the more I like it, but I also have 2 complete bows to build and 2 to finish off before the Easter trip so ArkPak may win out in the long run :oops: .

Cheers...... Rod

woodie

#5 Post by woodie » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:14 pm

I forgot to say that the battery can be left on charge all the time as it is designed to condition the battery to keep it in the best condition.
woodie

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:26 pm

rodlonq wrote:Does the Ctek take over the role of voltage regulator when you plug solar panels into it, or do you still need to have a reg on the panels as well?
Yes; you don't need a reg on the panels as the Ctek does that job.
rodlonq wrote: I have two other battery chargers to pick from that could be plugged into the Ctek device for slow charging at home or just for maintenance (float mode).
The Ctek is a DC/Dc charger only. To maintain the battery while at home use one of your chargers you have at home by connecting to the battery terminals.

If you want to get the ArkPak have a look at the cheaper blue version as well or a simple battery box with built-in 12V sockets if you don't need the inverter. It would be a lot cheaper option. My daughter and son in-law got one of the blue ArkPaks free just for subscribing to a 4WD mag they get. :biggrin:

Jeff

woodie

#7 Post by woodie » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:30 pm

That's where I got my ArkPac from too.
woodie

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#8 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:14 pm

woodie wrote:That's where I got my ArkPac from too.
Good value Woodie! :biggrin:

Jeff

woodie

#9 Post by woodie » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:21 pm

yes it was and a mate gave me a 100Amp/hr deep cycle battery for it that was only 3 months old.
BARGAN
woodie

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#10 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:24 pm

woodie wrote:yes it was and a mate gave me a 100Amp/hr deep cycle battery for it that was only 3 months old.
BARGAN
Your not wrong!!!

Jeff

rodlonq

#11 Post by rodlonq » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:13 pm

Got an email ad about the Ark power pack for $135 today.. Maybe someone can save some $ if they are after one.

http://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/product ... rpack.html

Cheers..... Rod