Purcell trench grills

Any camping and hunting gear that doesn't fall directly under the Traditional banner, but is complementary to what we do: tents, stoves, 4 wheel drives & tyres, wearable gear etc.

Moderator: Moderators

discord

Purcell trench grills

#1 Post by discord » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:33 pm

Anyone heard of/used these? They look great for backpacking... So light!

http://www.purcelltrench.com/grills.htm
HAIL ERIS!

perry

Re: Purcell trench grills

#2 Post by perry » Sat May 04, 2013 8:19 am

I don't have one of these but I have an Alluminium Plate that I have used in the same manor. Last week I received a similar new Toy but it is able to be disassembled and then stowed away inside it's own components. Not as light by a long way but a little more versatile.

It is a Chinese copy of the Grilliput product but less than half the price, solidly built from decent quality Stainless and should last a very long time. Have not used it yet, that will have to wait a few weeks.
Here's a link -

http://dx.com/p/outdoor-camping-detacha ... rill-53997

I weighs about a Kilo but I am not particularly concerned about that as it will see most use when I am Car based Camping. I'm more interested in it's compactness and portability. Better weight savings could be made through me working a bit of Butter off my Backside than worrying about Pack Weight. It is certainly light enough to be carried on an overnight Camp / Weekend Hunt

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

discord

#3 Post by discord » Sat May 04, 2013 12:44 pm

Looks great, Perry. I looked at the grilliputs, I'd be interested to hear how it goes :smile:
HAIL ERIS!

perry

#4 Post by perry » Sat May 04, 2013 1:11 pm

Are you familiar with the Grilliput Firebowl, it reminds me of the old fashioned Vegie Steamers. I bought a Steamer a while back for 50 Cents . It is made of heavy Gauge Stainless and will work in exactly the same manor as the dear as poison Grilliput. I'll do a review of my Chinese Grill and Vegie Steamer Firebowl soon
bowclosed.jpg
bowclosed.jpg (21.25 KiB) Viewed 4571 times
bowl.jpg
bowl.jpg (22.75 KiB) Viewed 4571 times
pi_309.jpg
pi_309.jpg (7.36 KiB) Viewed 4571 times
If you had one of those lightweight Grills it would be a simple thing to make some Legs to support it over a Firebowl along the lines of the above, perhaps some modified Tent Pegs ? bent up Fencing Wire ?

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin