Questions from a newbie...

Any camping and hunting gear that doesn't fall directly under the Traditional banner, but is complementary to what we do: tents, stoves, 4 wheel drives & tyres, wearable gear etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Browny

Questions from a newbie...

#1 Post by Browny » Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:10 pm

Hi kids,

I've only just started getting into bowhunting. I have a couple of questions about gear.

I apologise in advance, since I realise this site is concerned with traditional bows, but:
Now, I'm looking at a compound bow without fancy sights or release aids. What sort of compound bow would all you guys (oh, and gals too!!) recommend for a beginner looking at a wide variety of game, from small ferals to pigs and deer?
What sort of broadheads would you recommend??

And what sort of ancillary gear like optics would you suggest??

I'm not really seeking any further ideas on camping and backpacking kit, since I already have suitable rigs which is just about all jellybean flavoured from my other job.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions!!

:lol:
I like to model my myself on the wombat: eats, roots, and leaves.

Griffo

#2 Post by Griffo » Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:20 pm

Please don't think I'm in anyway high jacking Erron's site as he and I have a good understanding on this sort of thing...but Browny you're more likely to get a wider response from compound shooters if you drop by The Bowhunters Group of Australia http://www.thebowhuntersgroupofaustralia.com

Luke :D

erron

#3 Post by erron » Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:20 pm

Yes Browny, what Luke says is true, get yourself on over to the BGA site and I'm sure they'll be able to help!

There's a fair bit of cross-pollination between the 2 sites, but Ozbow is focussed on Trad. Archery & Bowhunting.

Good to have you here, anyway, and feel free to post non-trad stuff.

:)

Erron

Browny

#4 Post by Browny » Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:04 pm

Ok!!

Thanks for the link!!

:)
I like to model my myself on the wombat: eats, roots, and leaves.

Buford

#5 Post by Buford » Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:00 pm

just thought i would throw in my thoughts..... (i'm bored :roll: :P )

if your not going to use a release for a compound, make sure it has a long-ish length wheel to wheel or you will get "finger pinch" when you draw back and this can cause irregular arrow flight.

broadhead wise, i can't comment from experience but, i have herd good things from club members about bear razorheads. the 2 blade design with little bleeder blades. some guys i know also swear (quite alot!) by mechanical heads out of compounds.

just somethin to think about.

cheers
Buford
Stupid TV! Be more funny!

Griffo

#6 Post by Griffo » Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:13 am

Mate, you'll get Jeff all fired up if you talk up mechanical b'heads too much... :wink: :oops:

Luke :roll:

Buford

#7 Post by Buford » Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:18 am

Griffo wrote:Mate, you'll get Jeff all fired up if you talk up mechanical b'heads too much... :wink: :oops:

Luke :roll:
:D
excellent! " In the red corner, weighing in at............." DING, DING!
(insert background music, "Eye of the tiger" here) :lol: :lol:

cheers :wink:
Buford the brave
Stupid TV! Be more funny!