Hammocks

Any camping and hunting gear that doesn't fall directly under the Traditional banner, but is complementary to what we do: tents, stoves, 4 wheel drives & tyres, wearable gear etc.

Moderator: Moderators

bear74

Hammocks

#1 Post by bear74 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:13 pm

I am thinking of getting into a hammock mainly for wet season hunts in the tropics and would like some feed back on the various brands and styles that are available.
I am looking at the
hennessy
DD
Clark
warbonnet blackbird
these brands seem to get the best consistent reviews online, so what are people WITH hammocks opinions
Do mosquitoes get you through the bottom fabric?
Are they hot to sleep in for those that have used them during the build up or wet?
Are they as comfortable as many of the reviews make out they are?
IF IT'S FERAL, IT'S IN PERIL!

hazard

Re: Hammocks

#2 Post by hazard » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:55 pm

Thats a Danm fair question!

The people who sell these hammocks only want the sale and the replies they give are ambiguous and non committed angling toward the sale rather than the answers you want to know.

Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

kerrille

#3 Post by kerrille » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:19 pm

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hammock-Jung ... 3a6ec41e4c.

they work for me and my boy's

..nev...
i hunt animals because they have legs and can run away ................plants dont

dawallace45

#4 Post by dawallace45 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:21 pm

I have the Hennessy Safari Deluxe [ the hammock for the gentleman with the fuller figure , and a little taller than normal ] and I love it , I find that mosquitoes don't sting through the bottom but if you let a mozzy in it can drive you mad trying to find it , what I do is as soon as I set it up I spray it on the outside mesh with aeroguard and that tends to keep them away to a fair degree , I love sleeping in mine , I actually sleep better in mine that I do in my bed at home

I find that they are the only way to get any sleep when it's hot and humid , you can angle the tarp cover to catch every breath of breeze

Just don't do what a mate of mine did , after a few too many rums he went to sleep in his hammock with his face pressed up against the mesh , woke up in the morning with a killer hangover and a few pints of blood down , he'd been bit through the mesh by pretty much every mozzy and sandfly in the area , his face was swelled up like a balloon

Also don't do what a friend of a friend did , went fishing up in a major croc area and being **** scared of crocs [ Me too ] decided that putting his hammock up real high would be the go , so he bought along a step ladder and set his hammock real high , was fine for a few days [ surprised it lasted that long ] until him and his mates got on the booze and he got a skin full , when he went to bed he managed to get into his hammock okay but about a hour or so later he decided that he needed to get out and have a pee , forgot he was 7' or 8' above the ground and rolled out hitting the step ladder on the way down , think from memory he broke a few ribs , his collar bone and his arm , seem to remember some thing else was broken too but don't remember , that was in a Vietnam era US army hammock

But all in all you can't beat a hammock , just remember you lay diagonally in a hammock

David

bear74

#5 Post by bear74 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:45 pm

thanks dave some good info there and good hammock link :mrgreen:

kimall

#6 Post by kimall » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:23 pm

I love my hammock HH and have been using it for about 10 years I guess.I did find last weekend out bush the scotch grey mozzies bit me savage THROUGH the bottom fabric where my arm was touching the side and I had about 100 bites between the shoulder and the elbow.I have since ordered the Deep Jungle model which comes with double layer on the bottom to prevent this.Also I have never found mine too hot as the breeze going past underneath really makes them much cooler than lying on the ground.This is great in the heat but is the one real drawback with hanging in winter with the cold getting to you bad.This has been taken care off of course and you can get under quilts to cover this as well.
There are some good hammock forums with heaps of good info too.Henneesy is doing a great deal at the moment if you buy an adult hammock they will throw in a childs free.Cant say enough good about mine and just love sleeping it.
Cheers KIM

stickshooter

#7 Post by stickshooter » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:34 pm

I'v got a Hennessy Hammock,which is very good as long as you have trees of coarse,in the cold I put a plastic rubbish bag under me to block off the cold wind( otherwise the wind goe's straight through it).
More comfortable than your own bed

hazard

#8 Post by hazard » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:39 pm

Thanks guys Great feedback :biggrin:

Hazard

bear74

#9 Post by bear74 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:47 pm

some great info and feedback, i am leaning towards the jungle hammock by HH. they look like they may be a good thing!

hazard

#10 Post by hazard » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:56 pm

OK then to save clobbering each and every web site from here to hells end, as they are clearly not "Australian Made" then who has found the site with the best price?

Hazard

kimall

#11 Post by kimall » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:47 pm

Buy them direct from Hennessy great to deal with but the Deep Jungle is out of stock and I have the first one when its in.:) Should be this week or next.
Cheers KIM

kerrille

#12 Post by kerrille » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:34 pm

i hunt animals because they have legs and can run away ................plants dont

flyne

#13 Post by flyne » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:46 pm

Has Any one used one in the high country during winter coz to me it would be predict for over nighters whea u don't know if it will be flat enough to pich a tent but I wagon it would get a bit chilly
Jim
good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement
Nothing is easy. That's why it's called hunting, and not killing

dawallace45

#14 Post by dawallace45 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:17 am

A acquaintance in the US has used one several times in temps down to 50* below zero F using the Hennessy Super shelter insulation system and a good bag along with thermal under wear with good results , although he reckons that he may have been helped a few of those times by the heavy snow fall that almost completely covered him in the night ,

David

flyne

#15 Post by flyne » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:50 am

Thanks David I guse if he he has done it a couple of times it can't be to bad il just have to give it a go and hope I don't freez to death lol
good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement
Nothing is easy. That's why it's called hunting, and not killing

dawallace45

#16 Post by dawallace45 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:21 pm

I don't think he actually set out to camp in those conditions , it was more of the case he was out hunting or kayak camping and got caught in a blizzard a few times , but he lives in those sorts of areas and comes prepared

David

stickshooter

#17 Post by stickshooter » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:42 pm

the english commando's used them it's on the Hennesy website,in freezing temps,the main prob with them is keeping the wind from blowing through them,for which i use a emergency sleeping bag which blocks the wind

bear74

#18 Post by bear74 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:35 pm

Gday fella s, I have now given the hennessy jungle XL a good workout up here and it is an awesome bit of gear,
torrential rain – pass
mosquitoes – pass
sand-flies – pass
stifling wet season heat and humidity – pass
I also tried the DD and the eBay Thailand hammocks both failed the bear no bull#$@% test by ripping, sweating my nuts off and mesh not fine enough, subsequently getting smashed by sandflies.

I have the warbonnet blackbird coming and also an ENO hammock for review and will post the whole review and comparison when I have done thorough testing. The Hennessey is very well made with a lot thought gone in to its design, it will be hard to beat I think.

Boris

#19 Post by Boris » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:06 pm

Sound like a solid bit of gear then, how do you think they would handle the colder weather down south, and what type of undermatting did you use?

Boris

DrAK DaRippa

#20 Post by DrAK DaRippa » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:00 pm

yeah i have the deep jungle hennesy, its great, sleep like a baby, and it also comes with a thermal insert {like car windscreen sunshields} and with that it its amazingly warm {like snow survival}. but it's abit bulky to take in your pack, but it works fine with just a sleeping bag. and with the snakeskins they take tying two knots to unpack from a very small bundle

missingdna

#21 Post by missingdna » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:50 pm

i have the clark nx150.
very good quality on the gear, excellent comfort, i like the pockets underneath but if I was more focused on hiking the I would order without.
I like the feeling of space the spreader poles give, but cannot compare to wbbb or hennessy as this is my first hammock.
I used this hammock on a month long kayaking trip thru the NT and northern QLD last sept. and it passed with flying colours!!!!

I wont say clark is a better hammock, but I will say ANY hammock is better than gound.

Frankie.

ontothepigs

#22 Post by ontothepigs » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:55 pm

I have a Hennessey but will be buying one of these when I can afford it. Made in Tassie and look like the goods.
http://www.tiergear.com.au/
Worth a look.
I am heavy so have good insulation and have found the standard Hennessey to be somewhat cold, even in September north of Cairns. Like everyone has said there are some easy and some creative ways to get around it.
Flatline #52
Java man Falcon #52 @ 29, 60"

bstan86

#23 Post by bstan86 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:55 am

I am going to get a Clark hammock one day as they seem to be pretty much as good as they come.

But gee they are exxy....$$$$ :surprised:

Muz1970

#24 Post by Muz1970 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:28 am

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/junglehammock.html

I use this hammock and can sleep on my side in it. My mate has a Hennessy and hates it. It bananas heeps even when taught. He ended up sleeping on the ground.

I use the foil windshield protector to reflect heat when its
cold. Good for hiking and can be used on the ground also.

Muz

bstan86

#25 Post by bstan86 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:08 am

Muz1970 wrote:http://www.mosquitohammock.com/junglehammock.html

I use this hammock and can sleep on my side in it. My mate has a Hennessy and hates it. It bananas heeps even when taught. He ended up sleeping on the ground.

I use the foil windshield protector to reflect heat when its
cold. Good for hiking and can be used on the ground also.

Muz

No worries with the mozzies biting through the bottom and getting your back mate?

Muz1970

#26 Post by Muz1970 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:06 am

No worries at all with mozzies. The bottom has two skins. Comes in handy as you can slide reflector pad in between them.

Make sure you get the snake skins with it. They make it easy.

bstan86

#27 Post by bstan86 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:49 pm

Hey Muz I'm going to order one of them now - I had never heard of them until you posted. They seem like an excellent bit of gear and bloody good value compared to some of the bigger hammock brands.

Will definitely get the reflector pad - but can't see the point of the snake skin to be honest?

Muz1970

#28 Post by Muz1970 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:22 pm

Snake skins keep it all tidy. Just a protective layer. I personally like them but you could use what ever. A smallish dry bag would work well.

I need to work out a system for using it on the ground to keep netting up. Used mine on Buff trip last year in October and loved it. You won't be disappointed.