Anyone using MUd-MAP App for iphone?

Any camping and hunting gear that doesn't fall directly under the Traditional banner, but is complementary to what we do: tents, stoves, 4 wheel drives & tyres, wearable gear etc.

Moderator: Moderators

rodlonq

Anyone using MUd-MAP App for iphone?

#1 Post by rodlonq » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:13 pm

Hello All,

I don't know anything about GPS or iphone but it seems if the two were combined it would save space and $. I need a new phone soon and would consider the big $ if it doubled as a GPS, otherwise I will buy a very cheap phone cos I just need it to make a few calls otherwise.

Does anyone use the Mud-Map app for iphone? Is it a good thing? I would be keen to hear your thoughts. Thank you.

For those that want to find out there is info at http://www.mud-maps.com/

Cheers............. Rod

Roadie

Re: Anyone using MUd-MAP App for iphone?

#2 Post by Roadie » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:49 pm

Evening Rod,
All i use is an old 3G phone that is hard wired into the Ute, and 1 Garmin MP76c, which is hard wired also, and has All of Australas Off Road tracks for Bush Travelling with Trip & Waypoint Manager and is also wired into the Laptop. As well I have a Garmin Nuvi which has most of the cities of Australia with the" were is" componet in it for finding my way thru the traffic. It is also set for me to advoied all Toll Roads etc. This way I only have a small phone Bill each month, not the thousand of dollars that some people seem to get. All this works for me and I travell thousands of Klm's a year. Hope this Helps. Cheers Roadie.

terryzac

#3 Post by terryzac » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:18 am

dont know is mud map works but i know others like shonky work. i am getting the samsung galaxy for the same purpose. go to this site and they should be able to answer your question
gpsaustralia.net

terry

Babs

#4 Post by Babs » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:20 am

Any updates on this App?

My question is does it still track when you are out of phone range? They say the map still works as it is loaded on your iPhone but will it still track, as you need satellite capabilities I was not aware iPhone had this. I thought google maps and other apps worked of the network your phone supports???????

Looks like a good App, probably pointless if the iPhone does not pick up satellites, can anyone clarify this?

Cheers,
Babs.

Nutgrass

#5 Post by Nutgrass » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:20 am

Yes the iPhone has a gps built in. Not the best gps in the world, but still does work. It will struggle in heavy cover. It uses phone signal when in range to increase it's accuracy.

I have no experience with this app sorry.
RABBITS (karen) wrote:NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him.
Shooters get to 50m to shoot, but only a hunter gets inside 20m to hunt.

Axefanatic

#6 Post by Axefanatic » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:39 pm

No experience with the app, but I believe the stand alone gps is less than stellar.
Battery life is also a major issue when running the gps on a mobile phone, so make sure you do some research.
Whirlpool.com is another trusted forum for all mobile info.
Give a man fire, he'll be warm for a few hours. Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life!