bears backpacking sleep kit review

Any camping and hunting gear that doesn't fall directly under the Traditional banner, but is complementary to what we do: tents, stoves, 4 wheel drives & tyres, wearable gear etc.

Moderator: Moderators

bear74

bears backpacking sleep kit review

#1 Post by bear74 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:51 pm

When it comes to getting good gear I know it can take a bit of gear and lots of money to sort the crap from the good stuff often at the expense of many uncomfortable nights in the scrub.
I have been camping, trekking and hunting for a long time and have a sleeping set-up now that I have using for over 3 years and am extremely happy with. I use it mainly in the tropics but don't be fooled it still gets quite chilly in the dry season and after using it around Yuendumu in the desert it still kept me quite comfy in temps around 0°.

Go-lite Shangri-La 2

http://www.golite.com/Product/ProdDetai ... c=&t=&lat=

The tent I use is a go-lite Shangri-La 2 weighing a miserly 675g! Its made from no-see-um mesh which is a must to keep all the bugs out right down to the minuscule sand-flies. Now if you a minimalist hiking hunter this is just the ticket but light weight comes at cost.
You need to camp amongst stands of tree's so you can tie the tent up and you will need ground suitable if you plan on staking it out as it's not a stand alone tent though I have successfully used rocks to hold the base down.
It also wont offer protection if the weather turns bad though this is overcome by using a lightweight fly. In the tropics this is advantageous as when it rains it often coincides with hot steamy conditions so maximum airflow is required to get a good sleep which this go-lite Shangri-La 2 does superbly and something I have found tents to hopeless for often just offering a sauna like experience.
I have had no issues with the go-lite Shangri-La 2 and found the quality to be very good.
No-See-Um Mesh body keeps the smallest bugs out and lets the air flow
Durable 3000mm waterproof polyurethane-coated nylon 8-inch bathtub style floor
For use with Shangri-La 2 Shelter or separately when insect protection is necessary
Top loop and hooks for pitching from above or clipping to shelters
New internal toggles for attaching to shelter side panels to maintain maximum shoulder room
Abrasion resistant, heavy-duty centre pole patch
Side-hanging door with two-way zipper keeps the door clean
Waterproof stuff sack included
Luxury-lite Cot
http://luxurylite.com/
I first came across the luxury-lite cot 3 years ago after crappy sleeps on thermarests and other sleep mats that just didn't offer the comfort in the field when on extended hunts into the boonies. We all know that a good comfy sleep is imperative for your body to recover after a hard day in the scrub chasing ferals.
I was somewhat reluctant at first to purchase the cot as it is quite expensive but the outlay has proven to be a sound investment for myself as I spend a lot of time in bush. Construction & assembly: The cot has a stout laminated fabric sleeping surface with fibre reinforcement built sort of like a “blue tarp”, plus shock corded aluminium side rails which are slipped into a sleeve on the sides of the sleeping surface. Then you join the cot feet & tension poles (gold & black anodised colour-coded) into six assemblies, four single pole & two double pole(I got extra poles so each join had double to hold my 120 kg frame). The double pole assemblies are placed under the torso where the greatest load is, and you put a 180-degree twist into them as you join them to the sleeping tarp. The sleeping surface is quite taunt, and the first few times you engage the foot assemblies, you will be concerned that you might kink the gold & black aluminium foot poles-but don’t worry the construction is strong and the instructions detailed.
Once assemble one thing I noticed is that the feet rub on the floor of the go-lite Shangri-La 2 and was concerned that they wear holes which I rectify by putting cloth band aids on the feet where they contact the tent floor.
I have found that the cot is a bit heavier than a mat though the comfort level is substantially better than a mat and the weight for me is offset by the lightweight tent. After 3 years of use and abuse it has shown no signs of failure though the aluminium torsion poles have a permanent bend in them this has in no way affected the structural integrity of the cot.
Pro's- very comfy sleep, good design, excellent quality, lifetime warranty, keeps you off the ground.
Cons- cost, slightly heavier than a self inflating mattress, may wear holes in tent floor.

RECON 2 HOT CLIMATE LIGHTWEIGHT MILITARY SLEEPING BAG I have found this bag to be great for the warm weather of the top end though it is a tad on the small size for me I usually use it opened up as quilt rather than a sleeping bag .It has given me several years of reliable comfy sleeping even when fully saturated in monsoonal downpours.
The following was copied from where I purchased it from with link.
http://www.kitbag.com.au/products/RECON ... -Bag-.html

Ideal for the bush or desert, this new, super lightweight, sleeping bag is a great addition to our Recon sleeping bag line up.
Features:
Inner and outer shell made from 210 T/Rip-stop nylon.
Bottom reinforced with 210 Denier nylon oxford, polyurethane coated up to the calf (allowing you to sleep with your boots on).
Extra layer of waterproof 2000g/mm 100% oxford material on rear that prevents moisture rising up from the floor.
Flat filled not quilted to prevent cold spots.
Internal and external baffle circle foot.
Internal and external hanging tabs for washing and drying.
Bonded seams.
2-way, double slider, heavy-duty, no.8 spiral zip.
Anti-snag zip with Velcro tab closure.
Draw cord and barrel lock in hood.
Shaped hood for extra comfort.
Packed in waterproof stuff sack (18 x 16 cm).
Super lightweight (900 grams).
Zip-in zip-out mosquito net at the top.
Bamboo anti-bacterial, super soft, lightweight filling.
Designed for operations in + 5 degrees Celsius zones this sleeping bag has channels at each end to allow you to “hoop” the bag at each end.
My sleeping kit for backpacking/hunting/camping the top end

Last edited by bear74 on Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IF IT'S FERAL, IT'S IN PERIL!

longbow steve

Re: bears backpacking sleep kit review

#2 Post by longbow steve » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:57 am

Thanks for the detailed review Bear. I like the cot and can see it would be a worthwhile investment. Cheers Steve

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:35 am

Yes, great reviews of those items. It's good to know what stuff really works well and will stand the test of repeated use. Thanks.

Jeff

clinton miller

#4 Post by clinton miller » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:02 pm

thanks for taking the time to share.
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

UPTHETOP

#5 Post by UPTHETOP » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:13 pm

Bear some great gear there, thanks for posting it. You shore go through some stuff to find what really works.
Have just come back from Rusa hunt with Darren and we had a base camp by the river and a mobil hammock camp right amoungst the deer it was great. Was my first time sleeping a week in the Hammock and found it surprissingly good. But the cold nights took there toll on the North Queenslander I tell you.
A few pics of our mobil set up.

Cheers Wayno
Attachments
DSCF0038.JPG
DSCF0038.JPG (118.88 KiB) Viewed 6669 times
DSCF0035.JPG
DSCF0035.JPG (163.2 KiB) Viewed 6669 times
DSCF0027.JPG
DSCF0027.JPG (159.49 KiB) Viewed 6669 times
DSCF0020.JPG
DSCF0020.JPG (160.72 KiB) Viewed 6669 times
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.

Benny Nganabbarru

#6 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:34 pm

Good thread. I need to try-out my Hennessey Hammock.
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

longbow steve

#7 Post by longbow steve » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:08 pm

Whats the story with the second Hammock Wayno? Are they both Hennessey's? How cold did it get? Cheers Steve

UPTHETOP

#8 Post by UPTHETOP » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:42 am

Hey Steve the bigger looking hammock was mine and Darrens the smaller looking one. He opted to get an bottom attachment down cover which really made a difference keeping warm with the weather. He didnt get cold a night I think, when you lay in his your down attachment cover covers you completly when your laying in it. He had an -5 sleeping bag as well.
I had a -2 sleepingbag and had to rug up in thermals and was still cold. Although it might have been the operator not use to the southern conditions I think.
They still are a great bit of kit and save taking a lot of swag gear. And the weight factor is saved as well.

Cheers Wayno
Last edited by UPTHETOP on Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bear74

#9 Post by bear74 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:08 pm

they look the goods wayno, might be a tad hot when the build up sets in propper up here when the hunting is at its best. I like to really spread out when sleeping in hot weather and if you dont have enough room and your body contacts the mesh the bloody mozzies nail you no end through the mesh.
IF IT'S FERAL, IT'S IN PERIL!

UPTHETOP

#10 Post by UPTHETOP » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:59 pm

I guess if I brought the under quilt in the long run it would of been half the weight of all the extra cloths I had to take along to keep warm. Food for thought.
But I still think it is the cold climate, as I am not use to traveling below the Burdikin river at Ayr where it gets cold at night by that I mean below 15 deg is pretty cold.

Hey whats this rubbish about having a few small hickups in the snoring department. I was doing 50km hikes a day while someone was sleeping up a tree stand, also was worn out from all cooking I was lumped with, plus all the paddling and steering in back of the canoe, boy if it wasnt for me calling those deer in all night with the same roar we wouldn't of seen any.

STIHL chainsaws CEO did approach me in Alice Springs once to be apart of one of there commercials we where staying in the same caravan park and he got a floging in the morning from this big truckie because he thought Mr CEO had his chainsaw running allnight cutting wood for the Caravan park.
Of course I declined didnt know what he was on about.

Cheers Wayno