Cleaning Arlec Plastic Lamp Body

Any camping and hunting gear that doesn't fall directly under the Traditional banner, but is complementary to what we do: tents, stoves, 4 wheel drives & tyres, wearable gear etc.

Moderator: Moderators

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Cleaning Arlec Plastic Lamp Body

#1 Post by greybeard » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:30 pm

The plastic body (green and black) of my Arlec led lamp has become sticky to the touch.

I have tried liquid soap, metho and tar and bug remover without success.

It has had ten or so hours of use since being purchased on 3/10/2015. When not in use it is stored in a cabinet.

Being rechargeable and having 12 / 24 led lighting configuration it is an excellent lamp, particularly during power outages.

Hoping someone may have a cleaning solution for this problem.

Daryl.
Arlec Lamp.JPG
Arlec Lamp.JPG (63.29 KiB) Viewed 17746 times
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

matt61

Re: Cleaning Arlec Plastic Lamp Body

#2 Post by matt61 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:03 pm

What about the cleaning stuff you can buy that's supposed to bring faded car headlamp lenses back to new.
Matt

RobHunter

#3 Post by RobHunter » Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:38 pm

Hi Daryl

Found a site dealing with this problem. Their answer was that

"The best solvent for that is isopropyl alcohol ". Rubbing alcohol (95%) Bunnings have a small spray bottle for about $10 - Diggers brand in the same pace as
turps , acetone etc

It removes the "rubbery" coating off the item but doesn't damage the plastic, according to most who have responded.

I may remove lettering ie brand name.

Rob

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by greybeard » Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:51 pm

Hi Rob,

Thank you for the tip.

I had some hand sanitizer containing 75% alcohol and tried it on the lamp. Although it took a bit of rubbing the surface is almost like new.
Another rub down in a couple days should do the trick.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....