Australian Archery Hall of Fame & Museum 'Archery Expo'

General Hunting News & Alerts. The place for posting and reading about what's happening in the world of hunting, for finding out what our Friends & Foes are up to, and how we are responding.

Moderator: Moderators

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Australian Archery Hall of Fame & Museum 'Archery Expo'

#1 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:29 am

This expo is on again 26th - 27th February 2011. See this link http://www.aahofm.com/
AAHOF 3.jpg
AAHOF 3.jpg (187.56 KiB) Viewed 4532 times
AAHOF 4.jpg
AAHOF 4.jpg (239.22 KiB) Viewed 4532 times

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Australian Archery Hall of Fame & Museum 'Archery Expo'

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:45 pm

TTT

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:26 pm

Aussie broadhead collectors at the Archery Expo. by Ian Fenton

If you are planning to go to the 2011 Archery Expo at Liverpool, (Sydney) in February, make sure you head for the Australian Broadhead Collectors display stand for a real bowhunting education experience. What you will see will not only amaze you but could be the start of a fascinating hobby that may take you around the world. Meet Brian Nash from Golden Grove, South Australia who is one of a group of Aussie broadhead collectors who belong to the American Broadhead Collectors Club who have also member enthusiasts from Germany, France, Portugal and the Netherlands.

Brian Nash generously responded to an invitation to the Aussie group from the Australian Archery Hall of Fame & Museum Inc, to bring a display to promote this unique facet of archery. Brian will show approx 100 Australian made broadheads which are part of his enormous 2200 collection of broadheads and fish points acquired over thirty years from around the world. Unfortunately, his travel by plane limits the amount he can bring to the Expo. However, these will include Ribtek, Shooting Star, Black Stump, Huntsman, Truflite, Tusker, Wedgetail, Woodward, Scorpion, Davies, Tuckwell, Sendhofer, Barry Johnson, Weatherstone and Hooker plus an assortment of homemade heads.

Other members of the group, Bill Meek of Wodonga, and Mike Doney of Werribee, both from Victoria have indicated their possible attendance with displays also. Mike Doney has over 1,000 heads in his collection along with primitive arrows. Bill meek who has an extensive collection put together over 25 years has added that Ian McCrohon of Orange NSW has also a fine collection. Barry Johnson, well known traditional bow maker is also a collector and will visit the stand.

To add even more interest and attraction to this amazing display, the AAHOF&M have invited artist and traditional bowhunter, Pete Rogers of Cobar, NSW to demonstrate his art of primitive arrowhead napping. Pete will not only give demonstrations of this age old craft but will show visitors the techniques employed and have several skilfully crafted heads for sale. Watch them being made and buy one to start your very own broadhead collection or give as a gift.

If you have a broadhead which you can’t identify or heads you would like to donate to a collection or
want to find out how to start your own collection then this stand is the place to go. If you already have a collection and would like to join in the display at the Expo, please email Ian Fenton, Expo organizer at fentonsigns (at) bigpond.com for arrangements to accommodate your display at no charge other than your Expo admission ticket.

Bowhunting legend and Hall of Famer, Allen Davies will contribute to the stand with a framed visual history of the Davies Broadhead as well as make regular personal appearances there. Allen together with many other Archery Hall of Fame legends will be present to both days of the Expo mixing with the crowd talking to visitors. Look for the distinctive grey and black Hall of Fame shirts and introduce yourself to personally meet meet an Aussie legend whilst at the Expo.

Albert and Cate Agail will host the Black Stump Broadhead stand to meet you personally and tell you all
about their new bowhunting guiding service. The popular couple have recently arrived back from a
successful bowhunting trip in Africa with record results.
Tusker broadheads will also have a stand and top bowhunter, John Teitzel will have for sale his famous Tusker knife,broadheads and popular dvds for sale.
Another broadhead maker from Victoria, Allan Woodward is a (unconfirmed) possibility to be at the Expo also adding more promotion to archers to buy Australian made.

--------------------------------------

The Australian Archery Hall of Fame is supporting a move to establish an Australian Broadhead Collectors Club to bring together communication, swapping and information reference amongst
enthusiasts nationally. To promote the formation, a temporary logo has been designed and persons interested in gaining information or communicating interest in participating in the venture can do so by contacting Brian Nash by email, nashabdj1 (at) optusnet.com.au or Ian Fenton at the email address mentioned.
broadhead displays.pdf
(284.47 KiB) Downloaded 130 times

Nephew

#4 Post by Nephew » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:09 pm

I hope someone does a Ribtek display. They are still the best value broady on the market today, I reckon!
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by greybeard » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:07 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:TTT
Appears to be a lack of interest.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

UPTHETOP

#6 Post by UPTHETOP » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:42 pm

Is there actually a place as in a Hall of fame?
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:53 pm

I don't believe there is Wayne but I think down the track it is hoped to establish such a place. It would be good to see Aussie made Bowhunting/Archery items and memorabilia on display I reckon. There is a lot of Aussie bowmaking history which I would love to see displayed and of course I am interested in our Bowhunting history.

I’m not personally into the dinner and expo style thing but I am happy to support the AAHOF by posting all relevant information up on the site for those who may be interested in attending.

Jeff

UPTHETOP

#8 Post by UPTHETOP » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:49 pm

Thanks for that Jeff I just fiquired there was an hall and museum because they talk about it. If I was ever down that way I was going to find out where it was and visit as you said it would be a great place to view the history of Aussie archery and bowhunting thats for shore.

Cheers Wayno
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.

longbow steve

#9 Post by longbow steve » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:48 pm

At the Olympic shooting centre at Hoxton park, I believe is the display/museum and Hall of Fame. steve

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#10 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:04 pm

longbow steve wrote:At the Olympic shooting centre at Hoxton park, I believe is the display/museum and Hall of Fame. steve
Steve, Is that actually for the AAHOF or just Olympic Target Archery? If it is for the AAHOF I wish those involved would get the word out about it more.

One of the things that doesn't sit well with me regarding the AAHOF get together is that I was told by one of the organizers that any persons receiving an award has a photo/photos put up on display but those photos are NOT to include any game taken. That is just plain discrimination against Bowhunters IMO and part of the political correctness that has gone mad now days. It's just like a lot of the Bowhunters clubs that have changed their names from Bowhunters to Archers. :x I hope things change in that area sooner rather than later.

Sorry to get off track but I'm proud to be a Bowhunter and this kind of thing really annoys me. :roll:

Jeff

longbow steve

#11 Post by longbow steve » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:14 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:
longbow steve wrote:At the Olympic shooting centre at Hoxton park, I believe is the display/museum and Hall of Fame. steve
Steve, Is that actually for the AAHOF or just Olympic Target Archery? If it is for the AAHOF I wish those involved would get the word out about it more.

One of the things that doesn't sit well with me regarding the AAHOF get together is that I was told by one of the organizers that any persons receiving an award has a photo/photos put up on display but those photos are NOT to include any game taken. That is just plain discrimination against Bowhunters IMO and part of the political correctness that has gone mad now days. It's just like a lot of the Bowhunters clubs that have changed their names from Bowhunters to Archers. :x I hope things change in that area sooner rather than later.

Sorry to get off track but I'm proud to be a Bowhunter and this kind of thing really annoys me. :roll:

Jeff
Hi Jeff, The Olympic Archery park is at Hombush. The Olympic shooting centre(pistol/rifle) is in Western Sydney and is home to numerous shooting clubs including a 3D archery club. I was under the impression that the Museum was to be a fixture there at Hoxton Park.
I dont get the impression that the photos without game for inductees is about discrimination against bowhunters or being politically correct, I think it is more about celebrating the person. All the photos I have seen with inductees have a bow in their hand and IMO that is all that matters.
I attended the Expo last year which is next to the hall where the banquet is held and believe there was about 80% Bowhunting content with photos and Taxidermy heads everywhere and the majority of seminars were about hunting.
The first year was the same and the vestibule leading into the banquet had numerous bowhunting groups with photos and animals on display so to the target archery groups.
Here is a page from the AAHOF website on clear display http://www.aahofm.org.au/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=72
I couldn't find confirmation of the museum being at the Shooting centre however :? .
I think it would do us all good if we dont make the AAHOF a political football and just enjoy it/ celebrate it and hope we can preserve what we have.
I would suggest you try to make it down to the Expo this coming year Jeff, you will enjoy it. Steve

longbowinfected

#12 Post by longbowinfected » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:59 pm

One of the most important outcomes from having an AAHOF has been the fact that there has been at least one place where all archers could come together...without the excess baggage which so divides and minimalizes our sport. I can tell you that the founders are hunters. Hunting is better represented than most...and really draws a lot of attention and acceptance.
It was wonderful to see all the groups together under one roof having a nosh and a chat at the first dinner.
In fact because of that dinner and other external prompts the different groups did meet formally to work together on the WA licensing issuesand from that formed their alliance, working together.

It will take a lot of money to set up a permanent home properly. It is based upon the original American model and encouraged &supported by them even though it is independently Australian. Negativity will not help. This is one of the most positive things to happen in archery that I can see even if I am only a relative newcomer to archery [6 years]. The AAHOF has a university trained conservator as a member [who is also a national represntative archer]. The immediate focus has been to record our history and a lot of that involves written, photographic material backed up with digital records. This is portable. At present our conservator works at Olympic Park in Sydney for that body. I believe that a small part or annexe is to be set up there. Anyone wanting more or better quicker donate money and time. The dinner and expo are grat raising funds but the needs are bigger than that when talking about setting up a permanent ful time museum. Remember that 50 years of separate large archery associations never achieved this much previously, so in my books the AAHOF is a winner after a couple of years.

Anytime anyone wants more info, clarification, contact Ian Fenton or your discipline representative. They love the chance to chat about the AAHOF.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#13 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:10 pm

Let me make it quite clear fellas that I am not against the AAHOF or I would not be promoting it on Ozbow. I can see many benefits stemming from it and some of those benefits you have outlined above.
longbow steve wrote:I dont get the impression that the photos without game for inductees is about discrimination against bowhunters or being politically correct, I think it is more about celebrating the person. All the photos I have seen with inductees have a bow in their hand and IMO that is all that matters.
I respect your opinion on this Steve however I don't fully agree. I will state I obviously don't know all the details regarding the banquet as I haven't been to one (as stated above it is not my thing) but my comments were in relation to it and not the expo as such. I was told the no game photos was a stipulation of the awards banquet and if the awards are given to Bowhunters then I disagree with this stipulation as I think it is a slap in the face for them. Why even have that stipulation?
longbow steve wrote:I think it would do us all good if we dont make the AAHOF a political football and just enjoy it/ celebrate it and hope we can preserve what we have.
It was not my intention to make the AAHOF a political issue at all. I was just commenting on a particular issue that disappointed me.

Thanks for that info Kevin.
longbowinfected wrote:Anytime anyone wants more info, clarification, contact Ian Fenton or your discipline representative.
Ian and I are friends and the promotional info I post up here regarding the AAHOF comes from him.

Jeff

longbowinfected

#14 Post by longbowinfected » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:46 pm

Jeff you are doing a good thing by posting the info ans as a supporter of the AAHOF i thank you..
Jeff,I like and respect the fact that you say what you mean and mean what you say.
I hunt occasionally but do admit to being more target and field orientated and focussed. The photo thing does not concern me as much as you. I do not understand the photo thing so cannot comment. I understand where you are coming from. Perhaps it is about appearing "friendlier" to those who would be confronted by such imagery, I simply do not know. Perhaps a compromise in the face of political correctness, something I normally scream out against. Perhaps you might ask Ian the question as it is fair to ask. Next time I see him I will if I remember.

I was concerned that people give the AAHOF time to be what it promises to be as it has to learn to "crawl" before it "walks". We should all be asking more questions and giving suggestions and support according to our means.

What you do Jeff advances the cause well.

Kev
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#15 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:11 pm

Thanks Kevin.
longbowinfected wrote:Perhaps you might ask Ian the question as it is fair to ask. Next time I see him I will if I remember.
I have recently had a good discussion about this matter with him mate. Next time you see him please do remember to ask him. :D
longbowinfected wrote:I was concerned that people give the AAHOF time to be what it promises to be as it has to learn to "crawl" before it "walks". We should all be asking more questions and giving suggestions and support according to our means.
Fair enough and I tend to agree with you on this.

Jeff

longbowinfected

#16 Post by longbowinfected » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:48 am

Fair enough. Good on you Jeff.

Kevin