compounds to become prohibited weapons in Australia??

General Hunting News & Alerts. The place for posting and reading about what's happening in the world of hunting, for finding out what our Friends & Foes are up to, and how we are responding.

Moderator: Moderators

vegie

compounds to become prohibited weapons in Australia??

#1 Post by vegie » Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:07 pm

Hi everyone,
I just got this email from Mark Burrows a member of the ABA National Exec. Please we have to take this seriuosly or else we are in big trouble. Once they realise recurves and longbows are also used for hunting then if they win with this one they would probably be next. It is time for all those I don't like ABA or AA or 3dAAA opinions to go away and hit the police with a united responsible front.
For those unaware of ABA, the Austrailan Bowhunters Association, Australia is broken into 10 regions or branches. Each has a controller or president and a management committee made up of the clubs in that branch. They are responsible for managing the assocition's activities in that area. This generally involves running field archery competions, the sport in general with government departments and other interested parties and of course bowhunting.
We are not perfect but at least we try our best for all archers.

I post info as I get hold of it,
Daryl

An update on the proposed banning of compound bows.

I have just received a letter from Sen Christopher Ellison, Minister for Justice and Customs. The letter comes via the Attorney Generals dept. in Canberra.

He informs me that at the last Australasian Police Ministers Council [APMC] meeting the members asked the Firearms Policy Working Group [FPWG] to examine the merits of making compound hunting bows a prohibited weapon. [ Target shooters don't be mislead into thinking this doesn't affect you. There is no difference between a compound hunting bow and a compound target bow.]
The FPWG is to report back to the APMC at their first meeting in 2004. I beleive this meeting will be in May/June.

So it is fact. I implore all branches to make contact with their local members and their state police ministers. Explain to these people that there is no logical reason to ban compounds. Tell them there is no statistical evidence to suggest that compounds are a risk to the public. Explain the merits of our Ass. Tell them we are a family orientated organisation. Explain we cater to all ages and sexes.
Whatever you do we must be seen to be pro-active on a national level.

I want all the Police Ministers at their next meeting to go in loaded with the same information. I want them to ask each other. Why are we waisting time on compound bows?
The only way that will happen is if each Branch, in each State, makes the effort to contact the above ministers.

This is our best chance to jump on it before any decisions are made.

Our ability to continue to do what we enjoy, without major complications, rests with you.

Thanks, Mark Burrows.

ps. please forward this email to anyone you think.

erron

#2 Post by erron » Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:26 pm

Daryl,

I can send this to all members on our list, if you like?

I certainly am sending letters/emails protetsting against it.

:evil:

Erron

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Mar 16, 2004 5:52 pm

I believe this issue is a continuation of the thread below called " Now They Want Compound Bows Banned!".

Jeff

erron

#4 Post by erron » Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:38 pm

Yes, it's an update, Jeff.

:)

Erron

erron

#5 Post by erron » Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:43 pm

Yes, it's an update, Jeff.

:)

Erron

vegie

#6 Post by vegie » Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:19 am

Sorry for any confusion about this post guys. I thought if I updated the old post members might miss it so I restarted it as a new post to try and make people aware of this potential major problem on the horizon. The logic for it is unknown but I think we should take the proactive view and explain to our police and local members that this is a silly action for them to take.
Prohibited weapons in my opinion means the weapon is restricted or removed from the public because of safety concerns or an unacceptabe risk. How compounds fit this description is beyond my comprehension.

We need to make the goverment aware that this is wrong now rather than wait for a decision to be made at the May/June meeting and then fight to stop it being enacted.
I know this is a traditional bow site but in reality what ever logic they can apply to the hunting compounds will apply to any bow. besides what is a hunting compound anyway, any compound with camo paint? any bow capable of taking game??

I will post more information as I get hold of it.

Daryl

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:53 am

Vegie,

No problems, a good idea to repost it. I din't realiaze until after a bit that it continued on from the last one.

You said
The logic for it is unknown...
Does logic ever come into these things? Not very often!!! :?

As you said if they start with compounds it will also include trad gear. The target associations want to realize that this will effect them the same as it will us bowhunters because as you said " what is a hunting bow?".

Thanks

Jeff

vegie

#8 Post by vegie » Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:22 pm

hi everyone,
I have no real info to update this thread, except to say after talking to the local member is seems that is is very real and the NSW shadow minister for police wishes to be kept informed about all information coming in about this topic. Plus it appears that the proposed meeting is this month not May. Details are still sketch and the NSW police force is pretty much in the dark over the issue, do not know about other states.

Is anybody reading this or you all so busy chasing the issue up that you have not had time to log on??
Apathy will finish us off.

daryl

erron

#9 Post by erron » Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:01 pm

Read it, and about to act on it mate.

We really need a list of pollies for every area in the country, to make it easy for folks...

Erron

little arrows

#10 Post by little arrows » Fri Mar 19, 2004 5:19 pm

read it, got my boss at work, working on it - he's also mixed up with one to gun clubs here - so he like to be very informed. If I get any more info will let you all know.
sue

MarkP

#11 Post by MarkP » Sat Mar 20, 2004 7:13 am

As well as lobbying your State police Ministers we should try and make submissions directly to the Firearms Policy Working Group - as they appear to be the ones who will provide recommendations to the police ministers.

Do we know who is on this working group, or where we could send a submission to be considered by them??

I think it would be a good idea to send a submission to the working group and a copy of the submission to your State Minister, however it might also be worth asking each of our State police Ministers what position they intend to take with regard to this issue.

Is there any opportunity to get ABA to post it's submission on Ozbow for us to work off. I would hope it has lots of statistical info that we as individuals might not have access to but could incorporate into our own correspondence.

MarkP

erron

#12 Post by erron » Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:52 am

What I'd really like to know is what the ABA are doing about this. We have concerned members voicing opinions here, where in God's name are the ABA officials' comments? They should be on a thread like this like files on the proverbial, and they should have a list of recommendations for members to voice their opinions effectively.

:?

Erron

Dennis La Varenne

#13 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Sun Mar 21, 2004 1:37 am

Erron,

Mark Burrows mentioned above is a senior ABA official and he and the association are working on this matter. I also know first hand that the Greater Victoria Branch of ABA has written to the Police Minister putting its case and seeking an interview.

I do not know if the Gippsland Branch has done anything yet, but that is Mark Burrows' country and he would be apprised of what has transpired at that end of the State.

However, as I have pointed out to the GVB Controller, it is no good both branches working separately. The issue will affect all Victorian compound bow users because it may end up as a State law. That applies to all the States of which some have as many as 3 ABA branches. ABA must operate as a single unit in each State guided by a national stratagem.

Nevertheless, it would not hurt to forward some guidelines of the campaign on to this site so we can all pitch in. ABA should have the same happening on its website also.

Whether we can get access to the FPWG or not is another thing. As it is a sub-committee of the APMC, they may prefer to do their research 'in camera' and make recommendations to the APMC meeting in April.

When the 1996 firearms laws were devised and proposed, not a single firearms group was permitted access the APMC to put a position before the guidelines for the federally proposed laws were agreed upon. Don't be surprised if the same happens here.

Getting access to the Police Ministers before the meeting is perhaps our best chance at this stage. We all know that this is a political stunt for appearance sake. The compounders are some kind of threat to the public safety is a very bad joke. But, because we have a system of Government which is not answerable or accountable to its people, they can do what they want.

Dennis La Varenne
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.

erron

#14 Post by erron » Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:21 am

Sorry Dennis, you're right about Mark Burrows affiliation. I've got too many things going on at the moment and was just expressing frustration that anything the ABA do is reported secondhand, not promoted publicly by themselves.
ABA should have the same happening on its website also.
My point exactly; that's a 'dead' site if ever I saw one. I don't think it's changed in 2 years, has it?

Thanks for the feedback,

Erron

MarkP

#15 Post by MarkP » Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:25 pm

Erron

Is there an email contact for the national executive of the ABA that you're aware of? I don't get Archery Action so I'm not up to speed with their details.

Perhaps one of us could email them and ask for an update on what they are doing in all states and territories of Australia to inform respective police ministers of the value of archery to the community.

While we wait for this I will get my own letter off to the Queensland Minister.

In my experience a letter to the Minister from the National Association can only be enhanced by a heap of individual archers writing to express their individual opinions.

Cheers
Mark

erron

#16 Post by erron » Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:29 pm

Well done Mark!

You need to go to the ABA site for their email addys, it's on our Links page or go to Association Contacts on:

http://www.bowhunters.org.au/

Cheers,

Erron

gundy

#17 Post by gundy » Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:40 pm

Here we go.... :( Thanks for the info vegie.

This is very disturbing indeed...

erron

#18 Post by erron » Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:49 pm

This is a first try at a letter to send to the authorities. I've cloned bits from other posts and submissions. What do you think?

ATTENTION:
Mr Whoever
Job Title
Department
Street Address
Suburb STATE postcode

Mr Whoever,

I am writing to you on a matter raised at the last Australasian Police Ministers Council [APMC]. Apparently, at this meeting the members asked the Firearms Policy Working Group [FPWG] to examine the merits of making compound hunting bows a prohibited weapon. The FPWG is to report back to the APMC at their first meeting in 2004. I beleive this meeting will be in May/June.

In light of this I wish to state the following:

In my experience and opinion, there can be no logical reason to ban compound bows. There is no statistical evidence to suggest that compounds are a risk to the public. Several members of the ABA cite instances of contact with members of the police force who state their own belief the push to ban compounds is ill-advised, to say the least. Police who have been approached by some members state they have neither the resources nor the need to enforce the proposal, as compound bows are not a problem for them in any way.

The ABA is a family orientated organisation, that caters to all ages and both sexes. It encourages healthy engagement with, and custodianship of, the environment. It teaches respect for the weapons carried by members, as well as respect for the Law, respect for the animals we ethically and legally hunt, and respect for the rights of both our fellow members and the general public.

In conclusion, I feel this is an outrageous proposition, as there is simply no basis to the implication that there is a problem with the misuse of this kind of bow that needs remedying by regulation.

Yours Respectfully,
Last edited by erron on Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MarkP

#19 Post by MarkP » Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:20 pm

Here is a copy of an email I sent this evening to the executive of the ABA. We will wait for a reply.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am a member of the Ozbow website www.ozbow.net where a great number of archers, bowhunters and so forth meet to exchange views and information.

Recently a post was made suggesting that Mark Burrows had provided essentially the following information.

“I have just received a letter from Sen Christopher Ellison, Minister for Justice and Customs. The letter comes via the Attorney Generals dept. in Canberra.

He informs me that at the last Australasian Police Ministers Council [APMC] meeting the members asked the Firearms Policy Working Group [FPWG] to examine the merits of making compound hunting bows a prohibited weapon.”

Many of the members and visitors to the Ozbow website are not members of the ABA, but would like to provide every support in addressing this matter. We would like to know what action is being taken by the ABA National Executive, and what advice the ABA might offer to members and non-members alike wanting to directly approach the appropriate decision makers considering this issue.

Some additional questions that might require some assistance include;

Where is it most appropriate to lodge submissions?
What are the timeframes of the FPWG?
Who are the members of the FPWG?
What are the implications of compound hunting bows becoming a ‘prohibited weapon’
Does the ABA have any statistics or data that we might be able to use to frame our own submissions (estimated number of archers in Aust, number of archery related businesses, estimated annual $ turnover of archery in Aust, number of archery clubs, etc)

Perhaps you might consider making a post on the Ozbow website, or alternatively you could send me a reply email and I’ll post it subsequently.

Kind Regards

MarkP

#20 Post by MarkP » Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:32 pm

Erron

I think your draft looks pretty good. I would offer the following suggestions;

- You get the best out of a letter to a State Minister if you ask one or more questions that require answering. In this way public servants in the Police Department - and normally those closely associated with the issue - will be required to write you a letter of reply. You could ask what your minister's own view is in relation to the proposal, or questions such as "are you aware of the economic and social value archery has in the community and the impact making compound hunting bows a prohibited weapon will have both socially and economically?"
- Beef up your letter with stats, and if you don't have any use some generalisations such as "there are numerous pastoral properties in the State of Victoria that derive the vast majority of their annual income from running bowhunting safaris" or "a quick browse through the Australian Magazine Archery Action will identify at least X archery businesses in Victoria alone, and there are many more who don't advertise in this publication"....you get the picture.

Hope this helps.

MarkP

erron

#21 Post by erron » Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:08 pm

Well done with the email Mark, and thanks for the feedback. I'm just about to rejoin ABA, which is why I referred to myself as a member in my post.

Erron

gundy

#22 Post by gundy » Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:48 pm

Looks like they will have to change some of THEIR promotional sites for the sport...

http://www.ausport.gov.au/info/archery.htm

Dennis La Varenne

#23 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:08 am

Erron,
A prohibited weapon in Victoria is NOT a weapon which is banned. Here is an extract from the Victorian Control of Weapons Act 1990 in regard to prohibited weapons -

5. Prohibited weapons
(1) A person must not--
(a) bring into Victoria; or
(b) cause to be brought into or sent into Victoria; or
(c) manufacture, sell or purchase; or
(d) display or advertise for sale; or
(e) possess, use or carry--
a prohibited weapon without an exemption under section 8B or an approval under section 8C.
Penalty: 120 penalty units or imprisonment for 6 months.

(2) A person must not sell a prohibited weapon unless the person reasonably believes that the purchaser of the weapon has an exemption under section 8B or an approval under section 8C allowing the purchaser to possess the weapon.
Penalty: 120 penalty units or imprisonment for 6 months.

S. 5A inserted by No. 47/2000 s. 6.
5A. Identifying persons purchasing prohibited weapons
(1) A person (the "seller") must require a person attempting to purchase a prohibited weapon from the seller (the "purchaser") to produce evidence as to the purchaser's identity--
(a) by means of a passport, driver licence or other document in one of the prescribed categories, if that document bears a photograph of the purchaser; or
(b) by means of 2 documents in the prescribed categories but each in a different category.
Penalty: 20 penalty units.

(2) A person must not sell a prohibited weapon to a person who is unable to produce the required evidence of identity under sub-section (1).

(3) A person must not produce false evidence of identity under sub-section (1).
Penalty: 60 penalty units.

S. 5B inserted by No. 47/2000 s. 6.
5B. Recording sales of prohibited weapons
(1) A person who sells a prohibited weapon must keep a record of the sale in accordance with this section.

(2) A record under this section--
(a) must be in the form, and contain the information, prescribed by the regulations; and
(b) must be kept for a period of 3 years after the sale to which it relates.

(3) A member of the police force, at any reasonable time, may require a person to produce for inspection a record kept under this section.

8B. Exemptions for prohibited weapons and body armour
The Governor in Council may, by Order published in the Government Gazette--
(a) exempt from any provision of section 5 or 8A (as the case requires)--
(i) a class of persons or class of prohibited weapons or body armour; or
(ii) a corrections officer, military officer or police officer (by name or description of office); and
(b) specify conditions and limitations to which an exemption under paragraph (a) is subject.

S. 8C inserted by No. 47/2000 s. 9.
8C. Approvals for prohibited weapons and body armour
(1) Subject to sub-section (2), the Chief Commissioner of Police may grant an approval to a person to do anything that is otherwise prohibited by section 5 or 8A.

(2) The Chief Commissioner cannot grant an approval under this section to--
(a) a prohibited person; or
(b) a corrections officer, military officer or police officer in connection with their official duties.

(3) An application for approval must be--
(a) in the form approved by the Chief Commissioner; and
(b) contain the information required by the Chief Commissioner; and
(c) be accompanied by the prescribed fee.

(4) Before granting an approval the Chief Commissioner must have regard to the guidelines issued by the Minister under section 8D.

(5) The Chief Commissioner may--
(a) grant an approval for a specified period or indefinitely;
(b) vary or revoke an approval at any time, including an approval granted for a specified period.

(6) An approval--
(a) must be in writing; and
(b) is subject to--
(i) a condition that the prohibited weapon or body armour is stored safely and securely and in the manner (if any) specified by the Chief Commissioner in the approval; and
(ii) any other conditions or limitations that the Chief Commissioner considers appropriate. (my emphasis)

(7) The Chief Commissioner may--
(a) refuse to grant an approval to an applicant who is under the age of 18 years; or
(b) impose conditions or limitations on an approval granted to an applicant who is under the age of 18 years that the Chief Commissioner would not impose on an applicant of or over that age.

As you can see, there are a lot of requirements which must be fulfilled, among which are the requirement to keep the prohibited weapon in a gunsafe and the payment of a licence fee of approximately $120 per 3 years. These latter requirements can be found under the Control of Weapons Regulations. The Chief Commissioner has very wide powers to make requirements for safekeeping and storage of prohibited weapons. The fees for licences must usually be set under Regulation, and the inclusion of compounds in the list of prohibited weapons under the Regulations will require a Regulatory Impact Statement here in Victoria, but apparently the Government in Queensland can make regulations without an RIS.

There may be other requirements in other jurisdictions of course.

MarkP is correct in suggesting wording any letter to require the Minister to answer. Don't assume that the Minister is intending to ban compound bows. He is not (in Victoria at least). You need to know the legal definition of a prohibited weapon in each jurisdiction. When you write, use that term rather than the word ban which may not be accurate.

Dennis La Varenne
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.

MarkP

#24 Post by MarkP » Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:05 am

Here is the reply from Mark Burrows of the ABA to the email I sent

howdy mark.
sid green passed your email onto me
in answer to some of your questions.
what is the aba doing?
all branches have been informed of the situation and should be currently contacting their local members and also the police minister in their state.
who do we contact?
as above.
what are the time frames?
the firearms policy working group have already me. they will report back to the police ministers. which i believe will meet again in june. hard to get confirmation.
who are the fpwg?
no idea, but as far as i am aware they are an independent committee and can't be contacted directly.
implication of a prohibited weapon?
as far as i understand it would be the same as existing prohibited weapons, special license required.
do we have stats?
no, there is nothing to get stats from. in this country at least compounds have not been used for criminal activities as far as i am aware. [ don't quote me]
i can tell you though that the united kingdom have one of the most stringent firearms ownership regs in the western world, but do not have any regs for compound bows, or longbows and recurves for that matter.
as for membership numbers. $ turnover figures, number of clubs, businesses etc.
it would be pointless in quoting figures for these as far as politicians are concerned. archery in general in this country is basically small when it comes to votes lost. better to concentrate on family type activity. no logical reason. low impact sport. no history of risk to the public. etc

erron

#25 Post by erron » Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:52 pm

Thanks Mark.

Good to see they are apparently doing ssomething, but I expect more and better of the national organization. I expect them to be leading the fight publicly. Why isn't there something on their web site, at the least?

:?

Erron

pete w

#26 Post by pete w » Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:41 am

As a Canadian visiting your site I certainly hope you are succesful in defeating this outrageous proposition.
Our Govt. is following in the footsteps of Australia and Great Brittan in respect to gun legislation and as we all know it is hard to stop Politicians when they can get votes from the big cities and womens rights groups that are so vocal there.Our recent new legislation has cost over 2 billion dollars and is in disarray with no end in sight.

I believe that tourism for hunting is a point that might be adressed in your protests and the impact a ban on compounds would have on the economy and the local outfitters that host the foreign compound shooters may be something that can help get a message across to your authorities.
Good luck in your battle.
We will be next.
Pete

erron

#27 Post by erron » Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:03 am

A decision is yet to be made either way, the last I heard Pete.

Erron