US travel restrictions on luggage

General Hunting News & Alerts. The place for posting and reading about what's happening in the world of hunting, for finding out what our Friends & Foes are up to, and how we are responding.

Moderator: Moderators

Stephen Georgiou

US travel restrictions on luggage

#1 Post by Stephen Georgiou » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:29 pm

I am going to the US in a couple of days and thought I would check the go on transporting my new barbarian over there with me. " find it hard to be away from it too long :( " and found that the maximum length or luggage is now 62 inches. :( :(

quoted from the qantas web site
International^ to/from The Americas+ First/Business:
2 pieces at 32kg (70lb) per piece
Premium Economy/Economy:
2 pieces at 23kg (50lb) per piece

Total dimensions of the 2 pieces must not exceed 270cm (106in) with no 1 piece exceeding 158cm (62in) No single piece can exceed 32kg (70lb)

sad day will just have to take the bear with me.
Has anyone been able to take a longbow with them to the americas in the last 6 months? longer that 62"?
last time I travelled last year in june i took my 64" bow with me but now they would not even let this through.

clinton miller

Re: US travel restrictions on luggage

#2 Post by clinton miller » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:45 pm

hmmm.....i doubt our winter olympic team would have bought their snow skis when they got over there. they are longer than 62". i imagine that they would take a bow through the special baggage.
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

alaninoz

#3 Post by alaninoz » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:58 pm

I think they make allowance for sporting equipment. I never had problems taking my skis to the US, and they were 205cm long. That was a while ago now, so it might be worthwhile giving them a call - don't rely on what's on the website.
Alan

maurizio

#4 Post by maurizio » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:10 pm

give them a call, never had a problem taking surfboards, snowboards etc, you just have to pay a little extra because they will not go trough the normal luggage system.

PS. sport equipment is always treated as if it is undestructable!!!!!!!!!! get a good insurance and pack it REALLY well (had more than a few bumpers on a surfboard and my snoboard bindings BENT!!!!!)

cheers

maurizio

Guy Layton

#5 Post by Guy Layton » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:37 pm

Steve,

I have taken fishing rods well over that length to the US and never had a problem...!

I think Alaninoz has it right... they make allowances for sporting equipment...!

Cheers Guy
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is no where as important as being able to place it in the correct spot....!

Stephen Georgiou

#6 Post by Stephen Georgiou » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:00 pm

Thanks fellows.
I ended up taking the soft option and took the take-down recurve.

:)