The Beginning of the End ??

General Hunting News & Alerts. The place for posting and reading about what's happening in the world of hunting, for finding out what our Friends & Foes are up to, and how we are responding.

Moderator: Moderators

M.Hogan

Re: The Beginning of the End ??

#2 Post by M.Hogan » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:08 pm

...doesn't sound good.

Gringa Bows

#3 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:11 pm

oh ohhhhhhhhhh............................Rod

hue

#4 Post by hue » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:13 pm

duck for cover
the sook brigade have discovered archery
slowly, but surely now.........

Hue
I can only be who I am

Coach

#5 Post by Coach » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:16 pm

Just goes to show ,, it only takes a minority in our sport to bring this crap upon us :roll: :x So if ya see someone like this ,, smack 'em up the side of the head and have your say !
Even if they are a "mate" ,,, we need to stamp out this crap .. as it IS doing us harm . I know that if a mate did something stupid and got bowhunting banned ,, he wouldn't be a mate for long !

hue

#6 Post by hue » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:30 pm

trouble is Jeff
we can't watch all the d.i.c.k.h.e.a.d.s. out there
we can only try!

Hue
I can only be who I am

Coach

#7 Post by Coach » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:32 pm

Very True Hue ,, poet and didnt know it :lol:
But what gets me is that a lot of bowhunters wont "out " their own :roll: We really are our own worst enemies :cry:

hue

#8 Post by hue » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:38 pm

yeah, brings undue attention to the sport.
the trouble today is, there seem to be so many minority groups with loud voices, that for some reason, government listen to them and they are only too eager to ban anything cos it makes out they're doing something, when in fact, they really aren't doing anything at all!

Hue
I can only be who I am

Coach

#9 Post by Coach » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:44 pm

Well , doesnt that tell you something ? Maybe the bowhunters ,, instead of sticking their heads in the sand , should be saying something ?
The fact we have forums etc for us has brought the bowhunting fraternity into the limelight ! We would have been better off shutting our gobs and just doing what we do , like we used to ! But , NO ,.,. with the internet ,,, everyone gets to see what the wankers in our sport are doing :roll:

I got this info from another forum . My point is ,, why dont these fellas interact with other bowhunting forums to get the word out that we should be doing something , instead of keeping it "exclusive" for that forum ? Why isnt ABA , our supposedly Bowhunting Reps ,, screaming this stuff from the roof tops ? Too many egos are getting in the way ,,, wanting to be seen as doing something ,in the background , instead they should share it ,, and get EVERY bowhunter involved ,, whether they are a member of the forum or the Association or not ! Too many politics if ya ask me !

Stuff it ,, I am going to get a gun license ,, at least then I will be represented :lol:

Len

#10 Post by Len » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:01 pm

Stinking RSPCA ! I will never donate a cent to them. One of the problems we have is that a lot of bow hunters just act damn stupid with this attitude that if an animal is not native its fair game regardless of circumstance. I've read of archers defending this idiot who shot the horse because they claim its feral and dosen't belong in Aus. Its the same with guys who think any cat is fair game regardless of where they may be. Its just not smart to shoot some animals in certain areas and the sooner these fools realise its time to pull their heads in the better all bow hunters will be.
Hmmmmmmm.............

otis.drum

#11 Post by otis.drum » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:02 am

this is a serious shame, and it may just turn a lot of good men into criminals...
...otis...

g_r

#12 Post by g_r » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:23 am

sad to see its happening.

intresting enough, in german TV (news of a "soapy"-channel) was a report about australian camels that need to be shot to preserve nature and they didnt only show a bowhunter (wheelie) but also mentioned the method as well-working and "animal friendly".
watch youre feet, you may never know where they might take you....

Always scout like you are scouting scouts!

bentsticke

#13 Post by bentsticke » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:54 pm

what can u say we are ruled by idots with a population of sheep just my humble opinion cheers brett

Coach

#14 Post by Coach » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:02 pm

bentsticke wrote:what can u say we are ruled by idots with a population of sheep just my humble opinion cheers brett
Yeah ,, and Welcome :D

bentsticke

#15 Post by bentsticke » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:38 pm

greenie fronted a pro rooshooter at a servo asked how he could harm those poor kangaroos nite after nite He explained its very human and its my living but if you are willing to do every thing in your power to save them Ill give up hunting right now.HE replied of course he would any thing you just name it to which the pro said give up driving your 4x4. greenie replied I cant do that I need my 4x4 pro replied so you wont do all in your power save the roos because cars cause more pain and suffering and deaths than hunters so it looks like I am of to work tonite.''' I rest my case cheers brett

pommy chris

#16 Post by pommy chris » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:48 am

so instead of sticking your heads in the sand. and beating the drum on the forums why dont you do something about it?
everytime theres a idiot in the paper or a negative story.why dont you write or e-mail the reporter and ask them to instead of reporting a biased story they come out with you.you show them what its all about.explain what its all about.tell them that the idiots are idiots and nothing to do with you lot.then ask them to write a unbiased report so the public can make up there own minds.what would miss jones prefer while reading the daily news.animals harvested for there meat.or just poisened to die in agony and left to rot.
i mean what have you got to lose.your own personal freedom.no hunting with the bow.no hunting with dogs.sure they will leave the shooting fraternity alone because of the money involved.and yes it will make criminals of good men.remember you guys are not criminals and you are not doing anything wrong so why hide in the shadows?
hell just pack your bags and come back over here.save yourselves the bother.
LONGBOWS HAVE HORNY ENDS.COS IF WE MISS.YOU STILL GET A POKE IN THE EYE.

Axe

#17 Post by Axe » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:07 pm

Len wrote:Stinking RSPCA ! I will never donate a cent to them. One of the problems we have is that a lot of bow hunters just act damn stupid with this attitude that if an animal is not native its fair game regardless of circumstance. I've read of archers defending this idiot who shot the horse because they claim its feral and dosen't belong in Aus. Its the same with guys who think any cat is fair game regardless of where they may be. Its just not smart to shoot some animals in certain areas and the sooner these fools realise its time to pull their heads in the better all bow hunters will be.
I decided this some time ago...shame I can't get back the $1000's of dollars I've given them over the years...thing is it's easier for these brain deads to push to have a sport or breed of dog banned than to "severely" punish ie long term jail those that are rersponsible for unlawful/irresponsible acts :x
pommy chris wrote:so instead of sticking your heads in the sand. and beating the drum on the forums why dont you do something about it?
everytime theres a idiot in the paper or a negative story.why dont you write or e-mail the reporter and ask them to instead of reporting a biased story they come out with you.you show them what its all about.explain what its all about.tell them that the idiots are idiots and nothing to do with you lot.then ask them to write a unbiased report so the public can make up there own minds.what would miss jones prefer while reading the daily news.animals harvested for there meat.or just poisened to die in agony and left to rot.
i mean what have you got to lose.your own personal freedom.no hunting with the bow.no hunting with dogs.sure they will leave the shooting fraternity alone because of the money involved.and yes it will make criminals of good men.remember you guys are not criminals and you are not doing anything wrong so why hide in the shadows?
hell just pack your bags and come back over here.save yourselves the bother.
Who's hiding Chris, you may be enlightened to know that there are those of us that do what you suggest & more...unfortunately our reporters, politicians and do gooders are no better or smarter than their pommy counterparts, as is obvious re the pommy hound fox hunting saga and from my perspective a bullet to the brain would be perferable to returning/moving to the breeding ground of past criminals, the land of even more draconian laws!
"If not Despicable, what then is Self Glorification?" Omar Khayyam

"natura non contristatur"

Coach

#18 Post by Coach » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:07 pm

from my perspective a bullet to the brain would be perferable to returning/moving to the breeding ground of past criminals
Oi ,, I resemble that comment !! 8) :lol: Maybe that explains a few things about me :shock:

pommy chris

#19 Post by pommy chris » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:25 am

and i cant fault you on that comment one bit.axe
LONGBOWS HAVE HORNY ENDS.COS IF WE MISS.YOU STILL GET A POKE IN THE EYE.

TerryH

#20 Post by TerryH » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:58 am

Its all the Governments own fault if they penalized the idiots hard enough instead of slapping them on the wrist they decide in all their wisdom lets stop everyone from owning a bow. then the idiots go and find new ways to be idiots. :(

Stephen Georgiou

#21 Post by Stephen Georgiou » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:56 am

I agree with you terry.
Stupidity will prevail. No number of rules or regulations can protect us from stupidity. Only education has a chance.
We all like to think that it is a god given rite to do what we want but the truth is that we live in a society full of rules that are imposed on us to protect the many from the few. So the minority groups are the reason for the rules, namely (stupid idiots) and other groups that have nothing to do with the problem suffer.

We have a lot to learn, both negative and positive from the Yanks. They protect their way of life and have no qualms heading to the streets to protect their rites. I am not suggesting we need a protest march but i do believe we need to come together and formulate a plan to educate the general population of the benefits of promoting our way of life in a positive well planned way.

One word of advice though. If you try to convert an animal activist to our cause you will be setting yourself up for failure. No manner of sensible talk will achieve anything. The reality is that some people have been so disenfranchised with the meat industry as a whole that generations of people are lost to this line of thinking. The reason they get so much traffic in the media is because media feeds off their shock tactics. The truth is that we will never convert a single sole. The same way they will not convert you to their way of thinking.

Fight winnable fights.
If you witness a fight between an idiot and a smart person you wouldn't be able to tell who was who.
So pick your fights well.
The other problem is that none of us want to stick our own necks out for fear of having the chop. The organizations that we all pay money to should take the lead and this is where I think we need to start. As a group that pays the wages of these people we have the power to get them to act on our behalf so I suggest that if we are going to get anywhere we need to start in our own back yards. If someone would like to get the ball rolling, lets use this forum (If that's ok with admin) to draft a letter / petition to send to our organizations (ABA, Bow hunters Australia, Trophy Takers, etc.)

There are a few of you blokes who far better educated in the laws as they stand so I think if you can get the ball rolling, a petition will do some real good.

Cheers.

Antarcher

#22 Post by Antarcher » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:05 pm

I will put up the post here now as I was just waiting to hear back from Jeff to make sure it was ok. Will start a new one for you all. And I heard that Jeff, shame on you

Coach

#23 Post by Coach » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:06 pm

The other problem is that none of us want to stick our own necks out for fear of having the chop.
Thats about it ,,, thank god we have SOME that will 8)

ichiban

#24 Post by ichiban » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:24 am

as i have said befor guys, why not acctuly do something about it, write emails, when you display a picture make sure its tastefull etc its easy enough to say "goorsh bugger off tree hugger, your not a hunter". when that guy shot those roos,there was nothing done by hunters, when we should have been openly recomending the maximum sentance and made sure the media knows it.

also bow hunting has no native aussie value (culturaly speaking),where as places like germany where the bows history begain hunting with the bow is illegal, so if youdo value your sport maby you should stand up for it and send those emails.

D
Im gonna make it bend and break-Fall Out Boy

Nephew

#25 Post by Nephew » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:52 am

The trouble is, we are dealing with misguided folk with a Disney view of the world. Their opinions are not based in reality, and I find it very difficult indeed to speak with people like that, or pay them any kind of credibility or respect. How does one find something to respect in an imbecile that is (mis)informed by and constructs opinions inspired by the nonsense of Disney? In any right thinking world these people would be marginalised and ignored, but in this state at least we have alleged leaders who seem determined to make us all sooks, so these geese get a say, no matter how silly they may be. Conversely, a man who is comfortable with his masculinity and has traditional values is a pariah!! Make sense of that, if you can! :evil: :x
I know I've offered no solutions, but this is just my natural reaction to such rot! As far as I see it once folk start with the emotionally based arguments ( "How could you, it's so cruel!" " Oh, hunting in this day and age is just barbaric" " What about the poor animal, how must they feel?") they have just dealt themselves out of the conversation. Surely the R.S.P.C.A. has enough on their hands with stray dogs and cats without wasting time, money and effort involving themselves in something that is none of their business? The West Australian Govt. ought to be ashamed too, I wonder just how many hunters they consulted before putting this legislation to the House? Had they done so, they would have found no support for the fools that buy any bow and head for the bush with no intention of getting an idea of what ethical hunting is. The whole thing is just bad form all 'round!
Seriously, I think they would be far better off putting kids through weapons safety and induction courses than just saying "don't touch!" I mean, that one really worked when we all were young, hey? Same with these fools shooting natives, etc. Sure, there should be severe punishment and sanction, but part of the sentence ought to be the same kind of weapons familiarisation course covering safety, the law, what you CAN hunt, etc. At least then society (and hunting) would get some value out of this foolishness, instead of just retribution, yeah?
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

Steven J

#26 Post by Steven J » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:30 pm

Stephen Georgiou wrote:I agree with you terry.
I am not suggesting we need a protest march but i do believe we need to come together and formulate a plan to educate the general population of the benefits of promoting our way of life in a positive well planned way.

Cheers.
I am not a hunter but I do my bit the best I can. I teach archery to kids at school using ABA and 3D targets. I also bring a bunch of knives and collect an arm load of willow from the river before I get to school at least one day in the week so I can sit with the students and do some whittling. Shooting with the kids and sitting down with a knife and a stick in the playground keeps these activities seen as a normal and enjoyable recreational hobby. Some days I go and visit the kids in the junior school section of the school and carve them gnomes and twig whistles. They get the opportunity to see knives as tools that provide enjoyment and not weapons.

Stephen,
I do think that we need to do this in a "well planned way" as you suggest. My little hobby is only really influencing a bunch of country kids that have not had their minds closed off yet.

Steve
http://www.stevenjawerth.weebly.com

On Christ the solid rock I stand, All other ground is sinking sand. Edward Mote, 1797-1874

clinton miller

#27 Post by clinton miller » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:36 pm

if bowhunting ever got banned i'd be moving to NZ!!!
a place where hunting is accepted as a norm.
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

Stephen Georgiou

#28 Post by Stephen Georgiou » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:49 pm

As I was writing the noise inside my head was saying what about you?
So Steve, starting with the kids is a great start. I have wanted to do this for some time and always found reason why I was too busy but I have made the first step by asking the question of myself.
The next step is to get some sort of accreditation ( I live in the city so it is a little hard without the right bits of paper).
I have contacted Archery Australia and they have a National Coaching program with a framework for working with schools. I will go through the process and see what I can make happen.
I made a similar inquiry about 12 months ago but found that the only way it was going to happen is if I do it myself. No one is going to do it for me! (I thought that putting my hand up was enough) So I will keep you informed on the progress.
SG

John Valery

#29 Post by John Valery » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:11 am

IMG_0002.pdf
Reply from WA police minister
(238.01 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
I've just received my reply from the WA minister of police (As I hope most of you have). The bit that worries me the most is the talk of "National Agreements" and the proposal to introduce legislation to prohibit "Killing animals with a bow." At the moment, there doesn’t seem to be much of an argument coming from our side of the fence. IMO, if the only voice the pollies hear is coming from the RSPCA and the like, well, their choice is simple. Most of us are members or affiliated with a national archery/bowhunting body of some type. We need to be asking questions of them NOW. Ask them what they are doing about this. Maybe even approach our local members of parliament and such, and voice our concerns in such a way as we get the perception out there that we're not a mob of yobos out there massacring animals everywhere. I agree with previous posts, we won't change the perception of all the greenies and tree huggers, but I don't think we have to. We need to put up a logical and civil argument to counter theirs with the policy makers. One thing is for certain, if the bowhunting community carries on saying nothing, it's over.
If you ain't smilling, your anchor point's to low

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#30 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:02 am

That doesn't read well at all John. I don't know of any state that lists bows as a prohibited weapon and Tassie is the only state that doesn't allow bowhunting.

Jeff