Would You Admit to Shooting Roos ?

General Hunting News & Alerts. The place for posting and reading about what's happening in the world of hunting, for finding out what our Friends & Foes are up to, and how we are responding.

Moderator: Moderators

Waltron

Re: Would You Admit to Shooting Roos ?

#2 Post by Waltron » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:10 pm

Yeah I just read this on TBGA, what a moron!

pdccr

#3 Post by pdccr » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:48 pm

What an absolute idiot. :|
Cheers, Toby

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Bill » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:14 pm

Not only has he admitted to shooting Roos, but the Authorities in Albury are looking for a Roo Shooter, you can pick up on the shooting from Roof to Roo in the following link.

http://www.bordermail.com.au/news/local ... 93509.aspx

ichiban

#5 Post by ichiban » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:24 pm

arnt you allowed to shoot roos on your property with a permite, still odd you can hit em with your car but not an arrow. delicious food for thought
Im gonna make it bend and break-Fall Out Boy

jindydiver

#6 Post by jindydiver » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:39 am

ichiban wrote:arnt you allowed to shoot roos on your property with a permite, still odd you can hit em with your car but not an arrow. delicious food for thought
Yes you are allowed to shoot roos with a permit, but the permit goes into detail about what is permissible and what is not. Only centerfire rifles or shotguns are allowed and the circumstances of how they must be used is described. There is no provision in the permit (in any state) for the use of bow and arrow to kill kangaroos.
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

ichiban

#7 Post by ichiban » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:36 pm

ah well im sure it was an accident....

Coach

#8 Post by Coach » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:38 pm

ichiban wrote:ah well im sure it was an accident....
I dont think so :wink:

Axe

#9 Post by Axe » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:24 pm

Never mind him being a moron / idiot for admitting it, IMO he's a scumbag for doing it!!
"If not Despicable, what then is Self Glorification?" Omar Khayyam

"natura non contristatur"

ichiban

#10 Post by ichiban » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:24 am

yeah not very nice at all, its a national icon and we all grew up watching skippy, theres something wrong with u if you want to go around killing tv caricters of the past. but they are delicious but its wrong...

kimall

#11 Post by kimall » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:45 am

If it was legal I would shoot them and admit to it but as it is not he is a bit silly. :? I dont see one animal any differant to another just because it is on a shield.If it tastes good and it is legal I will hunt it.
Cheers KIM

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#12 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:26 am

theres something wrong with u if you want to go around killing tv caricters of the past. but they are delicious but its wrong...
I don't know if you were just saying that in fun mate or not but I will say this in case you were serious.

In the above instance it most certainly is wrong because it was/is illegal. However roos are animals that need culling to keep their numbers down because they do over populate and I can tell you it is sickening to see them dying of starvation. They are a renewable resource and a lot of people find their meat is very tasty. When they are killed within the law (sometimes the meat taken for human consumption) there is nothing wrong with that!!!

As an aside, when I was a young fella (not that long ago :D ) roo was a regular meal on our table. I'm sure many of the more mature gents on this forum from country areas had it served up to them as well when they were young.

Jeff

Gringa Bows

#13 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:32 am

Nah must have been before my time old fella :lol: ..............Rod

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#14 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:34 am

Nah must have been before my time old fella ..............Rod
Ya reckon? :shock: :lol:

Jeff

otis.drum

#15 Post by otis.drum » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:41 am

jeff i still eat it now and love it. it's one of my favourite meats.

coach, your question askes 'would you admit to', not 'would you shoot a roo', but then if you would shoot a roo i suppose your answer would depend on whether you would admit to it :)
...otis...

Len

#16 Post by Len » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:44 am

If it was legal I'd be shooting them tomorrow. There are areas where they are as thick as anything. I used to shoot them legally with a rifle for a couple of farmers and used the meat for pet food. The Aboriginals hunt them so why can't we ?
Hmmmmmmm.............

otis.drum

#17 Post by otis.drum » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:50 am

The Aboriginals hunt them so why can't we ?
now len thats just silly.

the aboriginals hunt them traditionally....with landcruisers and rifles!
...otis...

Coach

#18 Post by Coach » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:47 am

otis.drum wrote:jeff i still eat it now and love it. it's one of my favourite meats.

coach, your question askes 'would you admit to', not 'would you shoot a roo', but then if you would shoot a roo i suppose your answer would depend on whether you would admit to it :)
My Question was more of a way to point to the idiots ad on Ebay .
oneida compound bow
very unique bow in great condition!!
set about 60 pounds and has a large range of adjustment.
has a dusk devil sight and tru glo quiver
peep sight and drop away rest.
have Eastern alloy arrows with brand new broad heads x 3
some field tips and bludgeon tipped arrows
conico hard bow case
you will have many years of happy shooting with this bow,
only selling because ive upgraded, ive taken a couple of foxes and
even some roos
and had clean pass thru's on all the animals
has plenty of power!!!
easy to shoot and accurate to boot!!

happy to post at your expense, cost will be calculated after the auction ends
check out my other items for hoyt alpha max and turbohawk

Nephew

#19 Post by Nephew » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:34 pm

There can be no doubt that in some areas there are so many 'roos it would be cruel not to cull. As Jeff said, what could be worse than watching any poor creature starve? I have no problems at all with the killing and skinning/eating, whatever, of 'roos per se, I just wouldn't do it as long as it remains illegal. The media need no encouragement at all to blow this type of thing out of all proportion and it would bring a bad name on archery and contribute to making things even harder for those of us that enjoy it.
However, in my travels I have heard of folk shooting koalas! Now, I don't know why, but to me there is something obscene in shooting a BLOODY KOALA! It's not really a rational argument I know, but shooting koalas is flat out wrong, IMHO. For no other reason than... Mate, their koalas, y'know? :?

sorry... :|
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

Glenn

#20 Post by Glenn » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:13 pm

Moreton, during the second world war kolas were shot on one property I know of in central Queensland for Akubra to make army hats....Glenn....

longbow steve

#21 Post by longbow steve » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:24 pm

It's true Moreton, apparently the Shooters party are trying to get their bill through to shoot Koalas :roll: and lizards :roll:
Attachments
100_3322.JPG
100_3322.JPG (67.68 KiB) Viewed 5783 times

otis.drum

#22 Post by otis.drum » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:35 pm

lizards?! schnappy lizards steve?
...otis...

Nephew

#23 Post by Nephew » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:13 pm

Yeah, I'm sure that at some time or another there has been legit reasons, but I'm just talking in particular about two geese I once met when I was a young man in Queensland Railways up in Ipswich way back in the early eighties.These fools were in the pub laughing at how the previous weekend they had been drunk and took potshots at koalas in the NEIGHBOURS trees. What amused these two specimens of manhood so much was that the neighbours kids seemed to love these koalas. They were Laidley boys who hated the way bigger properties in their area were being broken up for acreage properties, so in their alcohol fevered minds decided the best thing to do was kill the new "city kids" enjoyment of the native fauna. Real clever, admirable stuff, hey? :roll: They still seemed to think it was hilarious a week later. :evil:
My time in Ipswich back then was one of the reasons I had no interest in rural Australia for a long time. I got older and wiser and have come to accept that my experiences were not indicative of how the majority lives and that imbeciles like I described can be found anywhere and are rarely approved of in their own communities.

Longbow Steve, yes mate, it must be true if it's on a cartoon propaganda slide, hey? :wink: :lol:
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

longbow steve

#24 Post by longbow steve » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:29 pm

Whats a schnappy lizard :) Otis?

otis.drum

#25 Post by otis.drum » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:48 pm

crocodiles
...otis...

Antonio

#26 Post by Antonio » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:02 pm

Peorsonaly in the early eighties in Queensland I used to shoot a lot of kanngoroos ,we had a freezer and used to keep the meat in the freezer it was good meat leaner than cow .and I had tanned hides all over the living room floor .I used to go to the gun shop and buy tanning solution .we used to eat Kangaroo steak with unions fried nice .

at the time in Queensland it was different the cattle farmer guy who owned one property in particular said just put a 22 bullet in them don't waste the amo don't worry if they die a week later .he had a plagues of them .I all ways shot head shots and the other guys shot in the body.they used to get angry with me because I used to get out and skin the animals I shot and used to hold them up .

the farmer was a young guy to .that was one of the few times I or we did spot lighting and afternoon driving around and morning driving around .

but during the day I used to sneak of and go hunting on foot which was my way of hunting .

spot lighting was not my thing I just came along for the ride .

I had eight rifles
220 swift ruger model 77 bolt action,
243 sako bolt action.
303 army rifle bolt action ,
brno 22 bolt action ,
Brazilian 22 bolt action.
brazilian 12 gage shot gun single shot .
single shot 22bolt action ,
BSA 1.77 air rifle

so realy I was into bolt action rifles

my type of hunting was being in the midle of nowhere stalking walking on foot watching the breeze keeping my eyes peeled combing the land .getting game taking it home cooking it eating it .cleaning the rifles wile having a cigaret and a coffee .tanning the skin .I was in heaven .

the cooking the animal getting the anions garlic paprika oregano out and cooking it was part of the fun .smelling how its going to taste .

putting salt on the skins and waiting for a week for them to dry out then scraping the stuff of the skins and washing them and putting them in the solution .
coming back a week later and washing them waxing or oiling them and pining them to dry in a shady place .

so to be honest I understand why that guy shot a Kangaroo .

what I don't understand is that he does not understand its against the law to shoot them with a bow .

there are no licenses for bows but I for myself have to understand what I can shoot with them.

I am sorry that ,that guy has not got the liberty to shoot kangaroos like I did with a rifle in the eighties .for that I feel for him .

but with a bow and arrow I have to train more and takes more practice than a gun .but as long as its feral goats pigs rabbits hares foxes some deer .
Buffalo .and humane shots then its all good . :D :D

jindydiver

#27 Post by jindydiver » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:01 pm

Antonio wrote:
at the time in Queensland it was different the cattle farmer guy who owned one property in particular said just put a 22 bullet in them don't waste the amo don't worry if they die a week later
It was exactly this sort of thing that led to the Gov' forcing a code on shooters requiring a headshot with a centerfire rifle and preventing bowhunters from taking roos at all. :(
Mick

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Abraham Lincoln

Axe

#28 Post by Axe » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:51 pm

Antonio wrote: at the time in Queensland it was different the cattle farmer guy who owned one property in particular said just put a 22 bullet in them don't waste the amo don't worry if they die a week later .
This brain dead, callous mongrel wants to hope he doesn't die of something slow and painful :evil:
"If not Despicable, what then is Self Glorification?" Omar Khayyam

"natura non contristatur"

woody

#29 Post by woody » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:30 pm

otis.drum wrote:
The Aboriginals hunt them so why can't we ?
now len thats just silly.

the aboriginals hunt them traditionally....with landcruisers and rifles!
Only when they cant find feral herefords ......... :lol:
Three things you can never take back, time past, an angry word and a well sped arrow

otis.drum

#30 Post by otis.drum » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:49 pm

yeah feral cows with funny shaped burn marks on their butts! bit of a problem up here!
...otis...