Moron

General Hunting News & Alerts. The place for posting and reading about what's happening in the world of hunting, for finding out what our Friends & Foes are up to, and how we are responding.

Moderator: Moderators

hue

Moron

#1 Post by hue » Sat May 09, 2009 6:11 pm

duck for cover Boys/Girls
another Roo was shot in Bundoora yesterday and the RSPCA caught it today!
this time, it was an arrow and there were witness's to the shooting!
it didn't look great with the roo running off into the distance with an arrow in it's head!
hope they catch them soon

Hue
I can only be who I am

Coach

Re: Moron

#2 Post by Coach » Sat May 09, 2009 6:24 pm

And once again , it was a Crossbow :wink:

jape

#3 Post by jape » Sat May 09, 2009 6:27 pm

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/ ... 61,00.html

The report says crossbow bolt. Not that the public would probably differentiate much. I saw the report on TV just now, sickening to see video of the poor 'roo hopping around with a black arrow, yellow fletches, green nock in its head. I didn't think it was a bolt from the video IN FACT HAVING JUST SEEN IT AGAIN I'M SURE IT WASN'T. IT WAS A LONG SHAFT, BLACK WITH YELLOW FLETCH AND GREEN NOCK. Two shot in a week, same place, one in the rump, one in the head.
Last edited by jape on Sat May 09, 2009 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crowcreek2

#4 Post by Crowcreek2 » Sat May 09, 2009 6:33 pm

.....just watched the incident reported on the news - looks like an arrow (too long), not a bolt but that won't matter much to the public!

I was planning on door nocking some properties tomorrow in an attempt to gain some lawful access but might not bother now?

At least they caught the poor roo and can now treat it's injury.

Coach

#5 Post by Coach » Sat May 09, 2009 6:38 pm

Not wanting another argument ,, but here we are advertising it again on these forums and giving it even more coverage . So , do we shut up , or do we advertise it and the fact that we as bowhunters don't endorse this kind of behaviour :?: A tough one I think :idea:
At least they caught the poor roo and can now treat it's injury.
Pity they didnt catch the idiot and do them an injury :twisted:

Crowcreek2

#6 Post by Crowcreek2 » Sat May 09, 2009 6:47 pm

.....could not agree more!!

Crowcreek2

#7 Post by Crowcreek2 » Sat May 09, 2009 6:55 pm

...just want to confirm my last statement as agreeing it was a pity they did not catch the ediots.

As for discussing this type of incident openly on forums I think thats ok as long as all comments are focused on condemning this type of action. JMHO!

jape

#8 Post by jape » Sat May 09, 2009 7:11 pm

I don't think we are adding much publicity on a forum mainly frequented by trad archers even if Google does trawl the pages. This was a main news item with video here and repeated again later. We have to discuss this stuff, condemn it and hopefully help in finding any perpetrators or we will have regulation and licensing way beyond what we have now. The same as with the hunting discussions and ethical issues, no good sticking heads in sand and pretending it doesn't exist. Same as when we see a bolt and point it out, if we see an arrow we should acknowledge it. I use nearly the same colours as those guys!

Someone knows who they are, such cowards usually boast as well so lets hope they are dobbed in.

hue

#9 Post by hue » Sat May 09, 2009 7:39 pm

talk about it guys and hit the negatives hard.
we don't need morons like this in the sport and the public needs us to say that!
and loudly!

Hue
I can only be who I am

Dewi

#10 Post by Dewi » Sat May 09, 2009 7:52 pm

I don't think it helps when these morons can buy off ebay and the internet, and some gun shops that sell the chinese garbage are not much better, and with no idea head off into the scrub. You will note that most of these fool are using field points also. Lets hope the authorities catch them.

Trad Bound

#11 Post by Trad Bound » Sat May 09, 2009 8:36 pm

I say talk about and disown the behave.
Be silent could imply we condone the behaviour or we accept the behaviour.
I don't accept the behaviour.
Cheers TonyJ

gundy

#12 Post by gundy » Sat May 09, 2009 9:02 pm

The type of people who do this sort of thing are not, in any shape or form, Bowhunters - and they have no respect for animals, nature or probably themselves. I hope the law catches up with them and that they are dealt with to the fullest extent.

Dennis La Varenne

#13 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Sun May 10, 2009 12:08 am

Coach (via Hue),

I too saw the footage this evening and it was most certainly a field pointed arrow, either carbon or black alloy with green and yellow vanes. What is good about the comments so far is the unanimous agreement among us that we cannot and do not tolerate that kind of callous behaviour among ourselves or by other perhaps 'part time archers' looking for a cheap thrill.

Any trained bowhunter with any kind of hunting club in this country knows that 'roos are not huntable, and certainly if they were, that a field point is not what is required for a humane kill. The poor beggar of a 'roo had the arrow though both sides of its cheeks. Although it didn't appear to be in very great distress, the fact is that those who did it, didn't even bother to stay to clean up their mess. They just cleared off after seeing what they had done and KNEW they had done a serious wrong.

My concern with the consequences of this kind of behaviour is that there will come calls for some kind of bow registration or certification or even bowhunter licensing which will be listened to more favourably by the politicians - and I can understand the pressure they will be put under. We as a group within society are of no political consequence and we can affordably be sacrificed on the altar of public opinion.

We as archers and bowhunters clearly need to do something to prevent this kind of animal vandalism from occurring, but what CAN we do? One thing is certain . . . the existence of bowhunter organizations and clubs is nowhere to be seen on the public radar. People don't know we are there, and our recruitment programmes are almost non-existent, relying mostly on word of mouth, which is not exactly efficient.

If we are to have any significant impact on this kind of crime, the public must know that correct and socially responsible behaviour in using archery equipment is readily available and young blokes full of adolescent hormones (and some older blokes with the same problem) can easily find places were they can to shoot their bows in a safe environment without hurting animals which are not huntable for thrills or to see if their bow works.

The archery shops have contact information, but some of the other sports and firearms shops do not and should do. One of the biggest things all archery clubs could and should have similar to the way that SSAA firing ranges are run is a day fee for casual non-members to shoot. So far as I know still, that doesn't exist in any of the ABA or AA clubs.

My feeling is that if that level of casual public access were permitted, memberships would increase, correct tuition would increase and young blokes could come and have a 'bash' safely. Hunter training courses could/should be open to the general public if nothing more than as a source of revenue for clubs, but principally to assist in mopping up the overactive hormones of young blokes in a safe responsible environment.

Insurance shouldn't come into it. SSAA has the proper insurance covers for casual shooting at all its ranges. Why cannot the archery clubs?

Over to you all.

Dennis La Varenne
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.

Coach

#14 Post by Coach » Sun May 10, 2009 4:22 pm

My feeling is that if that level of casual public access were permitted, memberships would increase, correct tuition would increase and young blokes could come and have a 'bash' safely.

Agreed

hue

#15 Post by hue » Sun May 10, 2009 5:20 pm

very interesting post Dennis and totally agree with you.
in AA clubs, the casual shooter can come and have a bash, in the form of the Temporary Players Forms, where they are covered for a period of 12 weeks, but would that stop the red necks? that wasn't a hunting arrow used in that attack, but either a field or bullet head point - probably bought from a sports store.
the Sunday Herald Sun is still reporting it as a "crossbow" incident, but what is more disturbing is the fact that a gentleman by the name of Manfred Zabinskas from the 'Wildlife Victoria "(don't know that organization!) claims, and i quote - "arrow attacks are more common than you'd think. I've been to dozens over the past year' (sunday herald sun page 33, may 10. 2009).
i don't believe that but he's quoted as saying that, which means, in the eyes of some, this is fact!

Hue
I can only be who I am

White Hawk

#16 Post by White Hawk » Sun May 10, 2009 7:21 pm

top billing on the news yet again tonight. Got me wondering just what we as responsible archers and bowhunters can do about this. Given the random nature of these events it would seem little. Encouraging training and responsible archery through club training is as Dennis stated the best course of action. I wonder though if this kind of person would ever go to a club? I will be keeping my ear to the ground and I encourage other Vic archers to do the same. The kind of person that is stupid enough to do this, may also be stupid enough to brag about it to someone. Highly unlikely that is it they would travel in the same circles as us but you never know....
~ The wise man seeks the harmony of the circle
The spiritual man seeks the nothingness it surrounds
The complete man understands they are the same

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#17 Post by greybeard » Sun May 10, 2009 8:01 pm

Dennis wrote:My concern with the consequences of this kind of behaviour is that there will come calls for some kind of bow registration or certification or even bowhunter licensing which will be listened to more favourably by the politicians - and I can understand the pressure they will be put under. We as a group within society are of no political consequence and we can affordably be sacrificed on the altar of public opinion.
The larger crossbows would accommodate a relatively long arrow which could lead to confusion as to what type of bow was used in this mindless act of crulety.

Daryl.
Last edited by greybeard on Wed May 13, 2009 6:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Glenn

#18 Post by Glenn » Mon May 11, 2009 7:44 am

I am all for some sort of safety training for crossbow owners, when they are loaded it's like having a bullet up the chamber and some of the stupid things I have seen done with crossbows even on archery ranges makes your blood go cold. How one bloke I saw was allowed out on an archery range still has me shaking my head. This is where clubs need to show some level of responsibilty as well amd make sure the user does know how to safley use their crossbow before letting them loose out on an archery range, especially if they are not know to the club...Glenn...

Dennis La Varenne

#19 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Mon May 11, 2009 11:17 am

Daryl has a point in that conventional arrows can be shot from a crossbow, which makes it hard to determine if one was used or not in this case. Presently, nobody knows what kind of bow was used, so we cannot presume it was a crossbow - only that the arrow was a conventional arrow as normally used in conventional bows.

My point in raising the matter of non-member access to clubs was in respect of conventional bows, but I certainly have no prejudice against the use of crossbows at archery clubs under proper supervision and training by people who can teach crossbow safety. It seems that AA is a good bit ahead of ABA in this matter, but I believe that open access on a daily fee-paying basis for non-members would be better. If I am wrong about ABA, I would appreciate being informed so.

With the problem of 'loaded' crossbows being similar to a firearm with one up the spout, when it is spanned, this is very easily circumvented on a club facility by prohibiting the spanning of a crossbow until the shot is to be taken from the mark. In the bush in a hide, you can quite safely span a crossbow and NOT lay the bolt in position until a shot presents with very little movement. Without the bolt in place, if it goes off somehow it does no more harm than if you dry-fire a conventional bow.

The essential thing is that we in the established archery community are prepared to take the initiative and provide facilities which would help in mopping up some of the otherwise damaging behaviour resulting from vandalistic use of all manner of bows.

We can't possibly hope to stop it all. That is not humanly possible, but it may help in the public perception, that all is being done that reasonalbly can be by those who can and that those who misbehave when such facilities are available are no reflection on the rest of us.

Dennis La Varenne
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

clinton miller

#20 Post by clinton miller » Mon May 11, 2009 11:58 am

as a former crossbow hunter it seems that the media jumps on the "it was a crossbow bolt" bandwagon really easily. i don't know the details, (i'm in canada) but even if it is an arrow from a conventional bow, the media, knowing full well that the greater public won't notice the difference seize the oppurtunity to push their own agenda.

let me guess......we're all criminals now because we haven't yet registered our bows.

back on topic......i hope that they are caught and i hope the government doesn't have the knee jerk "ban it" reaction that it normally does.
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

Nephew

#21 Post by Nephew » Mon May 11, 2009 7:21 pm

I wish the public understood this kind if thing upsets us just as much, if not more (we have more to lose than anyone from this) as it does anyone. Through this kind of thread they can find out at least, IF they are interested enough in what we think .
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

Coach

#22 Post by Coach » Mon May 11, 2009 7:25 pm

It is hoped that someone reads these types of threads and thinks " maybe bowhunters arent that bad "

But if the die hard animal Libs read it ,, they will just say " Lets forget this thread and find a better one for our cause " :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nephew

#23 Post by Nephew » Tue May 12, 2009 9:52 am

Yeah. Sadly, your on the money there, Coach. :roll: (the eye-roll is for A.L., not you) The fact is, though, I have not yet met a single bowhunter that has any time at all for cruelty in any form. If they would only speak to us in a respectful manner they would find out we aint all that bad, and we may even agree with SOME of their opinions, y'know?

giaCAMO FLAGEioli

#24 Post by giaCAMO FLAGEioli » Tue May 12, 2009 3:18 pm

if ever there was a reason to bring back flogging , this is a good one !!!! the only time i think taking a roo with any archery equipment , should be a survival situation , there's plenty of ferals out there that need some attention , the idiots that did this atrocity included

Nephew

#25 Post by Nephew » Tue May 12, 2009 3:21 pm

Don't hold back, CAMO, tell us what you REALLY think, mate! :wink: :)

kerrille

#26 Post by kerrille » Tue May 12, 2009 3:26 pm

just heard on the news today theres a $10.000 for anyone who knows who they are

....nev...
i hunt animals because they have legs and can run away ................plants dont

Dennis La Varenne

#27 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Thu May 21, 2009 2:16 pm

They've got the mongrel!

Dennis La Varenne
Attachments
Herald Sun page 7, 21 May.jpg
Herald Sun page 7, 21 May.jpg (294.38 KiB) Viewed 5517 times
Dennis La Varénne

longbowinfected

#28 Post by longbowinfected » Thu May 21, 2009 2:44 pm

In the newspix the one on the left is the intelligent one.
What a goose. 5 arrows left.....2 roos injured that we know of......wonder where the other 5 arrows are hopping around because I bet he did not just buy 7 arrows.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

gundy

#29 Post by gundy » Thu May 21, 2009 6:32 pm

A good public stoning should do some justice back for the poor Roo.

What an idiot.

DylanK

#30 Post by DylanK » Tue May 26, 2009 10:21 pm

I believe him when he says he didnt know their protected...I didnt know acouple months back. Theres so many of them you would think their not.

Dylan