a tale of two bows - Att: Ben, KC, JCM

General Hunting News & Alerts. The place for posting and reading about what's happening in the world of hunting, for finding out what our Friends & Foes are up to, and how we are responding.

Moderator: Moderators

stringnstik

a tale of two bows - Att: Ben, KC, JCM

#1 Post by stringnstik » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:44 am

Well I love this forum and those who post on it and the whole trad gang. We often hear of great stories of personal sacrifice in an effort to help some new or even old archer along his trad journey.
Those involved in this one may not even know it. So its time to lift the curtain.

Many would know i have jumped around a bit trying to get bows for my kids. Everything from hijacking little old lady archers equipment on dark nights, to making my own bent and erm :oops: busted sticks. Even Jape posted a lil fb/glass one that Jamie uses heaps. Well the pressure is truly off. In fact it has been for a a few weeks but I have been too busy to get photos and to write this up. I can now slow down a little and concentrate on working that bit of ash Len gave me(for free, THANKS Len) without the pressure of getting something for the kids ready in time for some shoot.

Some may recall this post in the trade blanket
http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7659

Ben Kleinig was selling off a couple of kids bows. I wasn't quick enough on the trigger and missed out. However a few days later I was approached by the new owner "KC". Who said he'd grabbed them because of the price but didnt have anyone specific in mind, did I still want them? "Wow yeah sure if you really have no pressing need for them" I replied. KC, gentleman that he is, would not take a dollar over the original price even tho he had added strings to the deal.

You'd think this was all wonderful enough. But wait there is more.

We think maybe at some time Ben rescued these from some school throwout or garage sale, either way their story prior to that event is not confirmed. From there tho they got posted down this way and looking at the postage cost, Ben made nothing on them. KC added his strings, once again no additional cost to the end user. But yet another act of grace happened along the way. The original post had noted that the limbs nock ends were missing. JCM had already contacted KC and sent free of charge and postage, 4 ends to suit. Just because he could.

From something that may have appeared worthless and on its last limb, due to the conduct of great fellows here, new life was breathed into them.

We picked up two working bows, perfect for the kids for now. My wife has added some limb socks to spruce them up a little.

Many thanks to all that contributed to this tale of two bows, I hope seeing these pics, taken from the Leongatha shoot, of them in operation is sufficient to warm and bring a smile as thanks.
Attachments
Jamie with his bow
Jamie with his bow
100_2687.jpg (113.75 KiB) Viewed 2479 times
Shannen with her bow
Shannen with her bow
shn1.jpg (70.66 KiB) Viewed 2477 times
"I am the arrow..the arrow is me...together as one...I fly to thee"
"the stick maybe crooked and the string hath no form,
then married by bowyer, transforms when first drawn"
"twang....thud"

pdccr

Re: a tale of two bows - Att: Ben, KC, JCM

#2 Post by pdccr » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:04 am

It doesnt surprise me :D coach has been kind enough to supply me with a tillering string free of charge!
Cheers, Toby

Benny Nganabbarru

#3 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:39 am

It's great to see them up-and-running! They look just the right size, too.

The PE teacher from the school where my wife works was sorting through the gear, and thought that rather than throw them out (they were non-functional then), he would give them to me to see if they could be put to good use - and with Kevin's and John's knowledge and helpfulness, they sure have!

Happy to help,

Ben :D
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

MrsStringnstik

#4 Post by MrsStringnstik » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:36 am

we just might have to sabotage Shanni's tho... she hits way too many targets with it!! :wink:
"There will of course be no mention of the rumour that Mrs stringnstik shot better than I did." Stringnstik!!

jape

#5 Post by jape » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:31 pm

It comes around and goes around mate, you can send that lil f/g bow on to someone else when you see a post something like I did yours - but the best bit is when the kids get a good bow of their own and do well, they will feel good at meets with other young friends and it will stay in the blood. Good work all.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:39 pm

Great to see mate and thanks to all those that got this to happen. Good on ya!!!

All the best with your shooting kids!

Jeff

kerrille

#7 Post by kerrille » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:15 pm

with the blokes ive met , talked to and chiacked with on this site i wouldnt expect anything else.well done again to all

......nev...
i hunt animals because they have legs and can run away ................plants dont

jape

#8 Post by jape » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:12 pm

so Jamie got the new green arrows, Shannen has the white, that means you are shooting the lil pinkuns huh Mark?

MrsStringnstik

#9 Post by MrsStringnstik » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:14 am

jape wrote:so Jamie got the new green arrows, Shannen has the white, that means you are shooting the lil pinkuns huh Mark?

well, he will 'inherit' them before too long, coz her draw length is almost as long as his little shortass arms!! :lol:
"There will of course be no mention of the rumour that Mrs stringnstik shot better than I did." Stringnstik!!

gundy

#10 Post by gundy » Sat May 09, 2009 9:07 pm

Excellent to see! If they do better than you S&S, then you have done your job and done it well.. :)