Hunting- a young lady's perspective

General Hunting News & Alerts. The place for posting and reading about what's happening in the world of hunting, for finding out what our Friends & Foes are up to, and how we are responding.

Moderator: Moderators

Tuffcity

Hunting- a young lady's perspective

#1 Post by Tuffcity » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:00 am

After seeing the Herald Sun story I thought I'd share what my oldest's view of hunting is.

My 15 yr old daughter's grade 11 English class was asked to write a paragraph on‚ “What makes you happy". She greatly surprised the teacher by saying, “hunting". She asked me to give it a read and I thought it captured the essence of hunting quite well. The following is what she submitted.

"Out of the things in life to gain pleasure from, nothing makes me feel more simply content than to be outdoors and hunting. Whether it's a primitive instinct or the pride in continuing a family tradition, nothing compares to the feeling of being immersed in nature. Even if I am unsuccessful in the hunt, it's still so much fun just being with my dad while we keep our eyes peeled and track. But the best part about hunting is when you successfully take an animal. The excitement and anticipation builds as you follow the trail, and adrenaline is coursing through you and peaks when you see the animal in the clearing. There is nothing else that comes close to the sheer exhilaration experienced when you make the kill. It's the triumph of carrying on an age old tradition and the success of providing for your family. Being a hunter not only teaches you useful skills, but is also about showing respect toward nature and being thankful for what it provides".

Made my day. :D

RC
That which doesn't kill me better run for cover...

dawallace45

Re: Hunting- a young lady's perspective

#2 Post by dawallace45 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:57 am

Good one , she's a keeper

David

jape

#3 Post by jape » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:24 am

I think that only one in a hundred 16 yr olds today is capable of such reasonable grammar, let alone these mature concepts and phrases. This lass is a jewel.

Nephew

#4 Post by Nephew » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:40 am

Mate, you must be mighty proud of that girl. As Jape says, it's not just the subject matter, but the writing and maturity of her as well. You have done a great job raising that child, mate.
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

Al Kidner

#5 Post by Al Kidner » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:03 pm

Very well put... amen to that!

ak.

Tuffcity

#6 Post by Tuffcity » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:13 am

She's always been a hunting advocate and people who don't know her are surprised by it because she doesn't "look" the type. She's very much the "academic", enjoys the arts but is also top notch footballer (soccer),plays ice hockey and is a long distance runner; in addition to making a first rate hunting partner.

tj: She has just submitted that project so she should find out this week how it was received. I pity the teacher if it's received negatively. :)

RC

pdccr

#7 Post by pdccr » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:47 am

I dont think i could even speak that well when i was in grade 11 :lol:
Cheers, Toby

stringnstik

#8 Post by stringnstik » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:53 am

Tuffcity wrote:footballer (soccer),....a long distance runner;
Well there you are you see, icing on the cake:) so nice to see such a well balanced individual. So many of the youth I see couldn't be bothered changing channel on their iPod let alone get off the couch and be animated.
Best of British luck with the project.
"I am the arrow..the arrow is me...together as one...I fly to thee"
"the stick maybe crooked and the string hath no form,
then married by bowyer, transforms when first drawn"
"twang....thud"

pdccr

#9 Post by pdccr » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:58 am

Tuffcity wrote:
tj: She has just submitted that project so she should find out this week how it was received. I pity the teacher if it's received negatively. :)

RC
She might find she has a few arras stuck in here tires lol
Cheers, Toby

Antonio

#10 Post by Antonio » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:54 am

that was beautiful what she wrote and came from the heart .I fully support her for stating her truth .
I find it its not easy to talk about hunting to other people that don't .so most of the time I don't but .I tell them I do archery and if they ask me if I hunt i tell them that I do and what I hunt .And that reminds me I got to organize a hunt soon .
the other thing that girl wrote is that it shows self love .fantastic stuff If you love yourself and then life is good .because if you love yourself you will do what you love and be aware of what makes you happy and that relationship with nature with or without harvest .to be walking with a bow and arrow stalking and chasing rabbits has been one of the finest moments in my life .and i want a lot more of them .
she wrote ......................

Being a hunter not only teaches you useful skills, but is also about showing respect toward nature and being thankful for what it provides”......................

that is so much to the point a real conection with nature .in the stomach in the skill in the reading the environment the bush the forest the land the animals birds over head wind .in the excercies of it . :wink: :) :D

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#11 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:05 pm

And what a young lady she is!!!

Congrats not only to her but to her parents for taking and sharing the time with her and raising her in a manner that she could write such things from the heart. You have every right to be proud of her RC.

Jeff

DylanK

#12 Post by DylanK » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:53 pm

Too bad shes on the other side of the world... :lol: (jokes)

Tuffcity

#13 Post by Tuffcity » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:21 pm

Again, thank you for the positive comments. As an "FYI" she reports a "100%" mark on the paper. :biggrin:

I've shown her the thread and she was actually quite thrilled that I posted it on a site for comment.

RC

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#14 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:47 pm

Congrats on that mark - very well done!!!

Jeff

hue

#15 Post by hue » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:55 pm

Hi TC

i read that post of yours (and your Daughter's work) with a wry smile.
i'm glad she got the mark she did from her teacher as she was being honest and candid and must have been one hell of a surprize to her teacher who, i'll bet, wasn't expecting that!
it's very hard at times, to be truthful about what you feel in the classroom situation and well done to her for doing it.
since i started at uni, two years ago, it sometimes doesn't pay to write what you feel is right, rather what they want and in these days of political correctness, what they demand! but i enjoy the looks on their faces when i say, "I don't agree with you because...."
tell her, on my behalf please, to keep up the good work and always be true to who she is, otherwise, she will become a lamb, just following everyone else.

Huw
I can only be who I am

DylanK

#16 Post by DylanK » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:39 pm

I totally agree hue. I am in the 3rd year of uni and yes, the majority of the time you cannot express your true feelings towards a given subject. Really quite frustrating to be honest.

Nephew

#17 Post by Nephew » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:05 pm

Mate, try doing Environmental studies at TAFE with the point of view I imagine I share with most here. The villagers were chasing me with pitchforks and torches!! :lol: Going back to finish it this year, bugger 'em!

Congratulations on the best possible mark of 100%, and on your level of maturity! Very well done, young lady, very well done indeed!

dartonian

#18 Post by dartonian » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:42 am

I know this is a late addition to this post, but had to throw in a comment...

Moreton,
I know the feeling mate. I did an environmental science degree and did two major 3rd year assignments on hunting and its links to conservation and CAMPFIRE as an example of an environmental program in developing countries. Actually went down ok with the lecturers but got absolutely hammered in the presentation I had to give (too many pics of dead animals for the average sensitive greenie :D ).

Tuffcity,
Congratulations to your daughter on her assignment. I honestly hope she can manage to translate her passion for the environment into a career. Its about time some of the environmental based professions were staffed by people in the real world who are willing break the whole politically correct line of what conservation really means. Looking at her writing skills and the depth of feeling in her words, I'm sure she will be successful at whatever she choses to do.
Cheers

looseplucker

#19 Post by looseplucker » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:00 pm

I know its fashionable to hang stuff on young people - I do it myself usually when duty manager at a music festival and dealing with fence jumping, campsite raiding, underage drinking little tossers.

But I have come to the view that these are the exception to the rule - and that the lass that wrote the essay, and some of the kids I saw at the recent National Folk Festival are the norm. Polite, articulate, interested in issues and life and wanting to make something of their lives. Certainly the young kids from a bunch of high schools we had assisting with production and things - they were magic - no job too big or too small - you needed anything doing "no problem" and it was done.

They certainly helped dispel a lot of stereotypes.

That is a great piece of writing. I am going to print it out and save it to show my young bloke - with permission of course.
Are you well informed or is your news limited?

Nephew

#20 Post by Nephew » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:03 pm

dartonian wrote:I know this is a late addition to this post, but had to throw in a comment...

Moreton,
I know the feeling mate. I did an environmental science degree and did two major 3rd year assignments on hunting and its links to conservation and CAMPFIRE as an example of an environmental program in developing countries. Actually went down ok with the lecturers but got absolutely hammered in the presentation I had to give (too many pics of dead animals for the average sensitive greenie :D ).
Thanks mate, good to see I'm not the only one! :wink: and...

Tuffcity,
Congratulations to your daughter on her assignment. I honestly hope she can manage to translate her passion for the environment into a career. Its about time some of the environmental based professions were staffed by people in the real world who are willing break the whole politically correct line of what conservation really means. Looking at her writing skills and the depth of feeling in her words, I'm sure she will be successful at whatever she chooses to do.
Cheers [/quote]

Amen to that!!

Tuffcity

#21 Post by Tuffcity » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:59 pm

I am going to print it out and save it to show my young bloke - with permission of course.
Looseplucker: she says go right ahead. :)

As far as a career goes, she's leaning towards medicine (so far anyway ;) )

RC.

Coach

#22 Post by Coach » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:28 pm

Funny , isnt it , you say what you believe and get shot down for it ,, follow the sheep and you are a bloody hero :roll: Australia has lost it's balls !
Tuffcity , your girl is to be applauded :wink:

Gringa Bows

#23 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:44 pm

like i've said before you crack me up coach :lol:

Coach

#24 Post by Coach » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:52 pm

LB rod 55 wrote:like i've said before you crack me up coach :lol:
Just saying what I believe mate :wink:

CM Sackett

#25 Post by CM Sackett » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:12 am

Tuff, you are a RICH man... and your daughter (and her love for being with you ~ insight ~ innocent Courage) is PRICELESS.

As for "lost" intimate items (in Australia, or ANYWHERE else on earth)... they are seldom "lost", most generally 'handed over' (by folks who equate standing in the gap against loud, aggressive, fear-borne hate mongering from the enemies of Manliness and manhood with... facing an inescapable gelding knife).

Let them come... with as dull a blade as they can muster. Better lost in vicious, bloody combat, than handed over with an apologetic whimper. One is "parts"... the other, the gutless forfeiture of spine and spirit.

As Always;
CM Sackett
"The cost of Freedom tends to run very high. The cost of Apathy... incalculable."

jape

#26 Post by jape » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:08 am

What I (truly) enjoy, is seeing the different characters here, some seemingly often in opposition, dust off the looking glass and look within, and what do they find? Their souls are the same colour and they stand together in the breach. In this case, what was the catalyst? The true words spoken by innocent. Thus it has always been.
Via veritas et vita.