Herald Sun Poll Kids and hunting

General Hunting News & Alerts. The place for posting and reading about what's happening in the world of hunting, for finding out what our Friends & Foes are up to, and how we are responding.

Moderator: Moderators

Mike-dy

Herald Sun Poll Kids and hunting

#1 Post by Mike-dy » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:12 am

http://tinyurl.com/c2cssx

Vote and have your say while there look at the actual number of votes :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers,
Mike

pommy chris

Re: Herald Sun Poll Kids and hunting

#2 Post by pommy chris » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:05 am

so we desensitise children with guns becoming part of everyday life.
well were just better off letting them sit on there behinds all day on the xbox. blasting the heck out of anything they can.while there stuffing there fat little faces with choccy bars. A-TEAM violence i call it.empty out a couple of dozen magazines.but you never get hurt.
dont see the problem with showing kids were real meat comes from.hunted and killed in a respectfull way and then consumed by the family.if they dont like what they are seeing or doing.simple dont take them again.
LONGBOWS HAVE HORNY ENDS.COS IF WE MISS.YOU STILL GET A POKE IN THE EYE.

longbow steve

#3 Post by longbow steve » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:50 am

Suprising number of votes.
I wasnt taken hunting as a child but I was taken fishing and the taking of a life whether it is a fish or pig is important to learn if one is going to eat meat. Being taught to kill a fish quickly and humanely gave me a good perspective as a child.
Steve

Benny Nganabbarru

#4 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:35 am

I added my vote.

The wording is fairly dodgy, and attempts to position readers against hunting. Perhaps some people forget that one of the reasons Aussie soldiers were, in general, better marksmen in World Wars One and Two, is that they were busy shooting rabbits, etc., since knee-high to grasshoppers. More than that, it wasn't too long ago that the majority of the male population of Australia would've, at some stage, hunted or culled or trapped at some stage in their lives.
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:19 am

The wording is fairly dodgy,
NO fairly about it Ben. :D I voted a day or two ago but just did again. :)

It is typical of the media now days and some animal lib employee probably chose the wording. Although the poll looks great it will most likely be dismissed and not heard of again as it didn't go the way they wanted. Had it gone in their favour they would splash it all over the paper. :x

Jeff

longbowinfected

#6 Post by longbowinfected » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:50 am

Well it is totally confirmed in my mind.

92% of hunters read or have mates who read that paper and their votes count.....heaps of times.
reckon next story is all about how brutal society has become during hard times.

Lamest leading questions in a survey ever written and yet it still gets the response that they never expected....that is double lame.

I did not realise that hunters read or think or vote.......send a copy of this "poll" to every politician you know.......make them think.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

otis.drum

#7 Post by otis.drum » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:08 pm

92% is excellent. what a great result. bring it on.

i wonder what PETA will think of this...
...otis...

kerrille

#8 Post by kerrille » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:48 pm

like once befor when there was an overwhelming response to a poll on the side of hunters they took it of and said it had been rigged buy the shooting fraternity.

.....nev...
i hunt animals because they have legs and can run away ................plants dont

matt61

#9 Post by matt61 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:43 pm

One of the problems with nintyfive percent of society is that all the killing of animals to put meat on their plates is done by a nameless,faceless strangers,out of sight,out of mind.Therefore they are free to criticise with a supposedly clean concience the members of society who hunt and eat what they kill.I personally think that more damage is being done to children of our society by the voilent video games that they play for hours a day every day.Also I am one of those nameless faceless strangers,I work at chicken processing plant where they kill between 80,000 and 130,000 chickens a day.
Matt

GrahameA

#10 Post by GrahameA » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:12 pm

An opinion

Ignore the poll and look at the websites quoted.

I would suggest that most people would find three of the sites reasonable and two offensive. It is all in how things are portrayed.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

kerrille

#11 Post by kerrille » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:22 pm

yep its happened their saying its rigged, new it wouldnt take long.

....nev...
i hunt animals because they have legs and can run away ................plants dont

ed

#12 Post by ed » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:54 pm

Journalists are only trying to sell papers - not actually represent anything fairly.

I was taken hunting as a kid, was always jumping out of trucks to get down rabbits. Always fishing and yabbying as well. But this is all tempered by being given pets and taught how to care for them, and stock animals as well.

It is not about cruelty at all but about meat on the table and getting feral pests out of areas where they do damage to native wildlife. One of the angriest sights I ever saw was my father chasing down some idiot that had shot a sulphur crested cockatoo nearby. Obviously someone had reached the required age to get a gun and shoot and had not been brought up to know right from wrong. Taking kids on hunts is not about teaching kids any form of cruelty, but about teaching patience, bush skills, camping skills, safe behaviour, and respect for all things - even the animals you are hunting.

Responsible hunters do more for conservation than any (Peta subsidised) paper wasting journalist.

otis.drum

#13 Post by otis.drum » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:22 pm

it disgust me to see comments like this.
"We desensitise children, guns become part of everyday life and what does it tell children about what they can do with a gun if they get angry?"...
how can they make statements like this. children who are taught the rights and wrongs of gun use are far less likely to misuse guns as an adult.
Last edited by otis.drum on Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...otis...

Roadie

#14 Post by Roadie » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:00 pm

I was brought up in the country,and learnt to shoot at a young age, I still have my Lithgow 22 single shot made in 1947 which was given to me for my 7th birthday in 1952.I was taught respect, right from wrong, and was told 1 bullet means 1 rabbit for supper. It is great to see youngsters of today being taught the same rights of passage as I was, as were most of us from the 1940's. I have cast my vote for the Plus, but as some have said the question was Loaded. Cheers Roadie.

MrsStringnstik

#15 Post by MrsStringnstik » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:48 pm

my first thought was "what a ridiculous poll" , to be honest!!

there is a big difference between teaching children brutality and them learning the honest truth that their meat comes from animals, but that you don't have to be 'cruel' to the animal to get it... I'd place a good bet on the fact that most animals slaughtered in an abattoirs yard have suffered more between the field & the plate than an animal killed by a hunter!!
"There will of course be no mention of the rumour that Mrs stringnstik shot better than I did." Stringnstik!!