Bad Apples in the sport....

General Hunting News & Alerts. The place for posting and reading about what's happening in the world of hunting, for finding out what our Friends & Foes are up to, and how we are responding.

Moderator: Moderators

kimall

Bad Apples in the sport....

#1 Post by kimall » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:22 pm

It is a shame I have to put this post up but I feal I have to.In all the time I have been dealing with archery gear and particulary in Trad stuff I have never had a prob with getting paid for stuff and often sent gear before getting money knowing that the person would do the right thing as we are like a big family in the trad circles in Aus.Well talking to Glenn Newell the other night he told me that he sold a bow to a guy at the Caboolture shoot that was to send the money on soon after getting home to Bundy.Well this money has never arrived and I believe when Glenn tried to send emails to make contact they where never returned.This makes me so wild to hear that someone can take advantage of the kind nature of Glenn or anyone else that spends countless hours making a bow to have it STOLEN by some scumbag.Glenn did not want to put up a post or make a big deal of it but I know that he is not in a position to loose this kind of money(who is).So if anyone sees a recurve bow made by Glenn Newell called the BLUE FLYER being shot at a shoot particulary in the Bundy area ask the bloke that has it how he sleeps at night. :x
KIM

hue

Re: Bad Apples in the sport....

#2 Post by hue » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:35 pm

Hi Kimall

real sorry to hear that, really am. leaves a sour taste!
i was in business for 25 years and i learnt not to trust my fellow man.
these days, you can use it for a while, but i'll want your details up front,
better still, a large deposit!

Hue
I can only be who I am

Benny Nganabbarru

#3 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:43 pm

Sorry to hear that. I too believe that traditional bowhunting is absolutely a gentleman's endeavour, and that just isn't a pleasant thing to hear. :x
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

Gringa Bows

#4 Post by Gringa Bows » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:51 pm

Kim im sorry to hear that too,i met Glen for the first time at the Caboolture Corival and he is a top bloke who deserves to be paid for the work he puts into his bows so i hope who ever it was does the right thing.........Rod

kimall

#5 Post by kimall » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:01 pm

I am sure someone knows this bloke as it is a very small world the Trad archery scene here in Aus.I will pay postage to get the bow back to Glenn if he cant afford to pay for it now.
KIM

longbowinfected

#6 Post by longbowinfected » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:06 pm

Whatever you do, do not send him the postage money in advance.
Sad to hear.
Only ever heard good things about Glenn

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

jape

#7 Post by jape » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:14 am

Lets hope for a happy ending, there is a small possibility the bloke is ill or something.

outbackarcher
Site Admin

#8 Post by outbackarcher » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:42 am

what kind of idiot would do that. im pretty mad right know i just hope glenn gets back the recurve and he gets a smacked butt!

lewis
Trad archery and bowhunting all the way.

stringnstik

#9 Post by stringnstik » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:03 am

I must say that I have been overwhelmed by the "gentlemanly" conduct we as a family have found with trads. Give aways have arrived in the post, thoughts, ideas, books and all manner of things are always "too happy to loan". Im humbled by this comradeship. Il take this op to say a big thanks to you all.

I am saddened that this situation may have been an abuse to all the above. Like Jape says lets hope there is an honest reason to it all.
"I am the arrow..the arrow is me...together as one...I fly to thee"
"the stick maybe crooked and the string hath no form,
then married by bowyer, transforms when first drawn"
"twang....thud"

pdccr

#10 Post by pdccr » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:06 am

If this guy has no internet connection or is up north there is still a possibiity that he is not within reach. Unlikely but still could happen. If hes not kimall put it right, stealing scumbag. It no doubt will show up soon and we'll pin him down :)
Cheers, Toby

White Hawk

#11 Post by White Hawk » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:10 am

This is very dissapointing news Kimall, our Aussie Bow makers like Glenn need our support not to be ripped off. It has been my experience thus far as a trad retailer that trad people are honourable types so this is quite a surprise.

All one needs do in this situation is ask "would I like it if someone did it to me"? If you answer is 'no' then your course of action is set. So whoever you are (and this will get back to you I am sure, trad is a small family) do the right thing by Glenn and give him what he is owed. It is as simple as that. People will find out who you are and for the price of a bow are you prepared for the flack you will cop if you don't do the right thing? Your repuatation will be mud forever.

Gav
~ The wise man seeks the harmony of the circle
The spiritual man seeks the nothingness it surrounds
The complete man understands they are the same

timbow

#12 Post by timbow » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:24 am

had a simlar thing happen to me but luckily he paid in the end.
But Gav l total agree with what you are saying if you want the gear pay for it first like any other normal genuine trad shooter would do :evil:

otis.drum

#13 Post by otis.drum » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:37 pm

Problem is if he said he's going to pay and didn't..,
he said he's from bundy, but might not be, gave an email address and phone number but could be false.

lets hope he is from bundy, and has a genuine problem and is going to fix the bill.

funny, i've had nothing but good experiences with everyone i've dealt with involved in trad. spoils everything when these things happen. surely you can't hide a newel recurve forever.

otis...
...otis...

kimall

#14 Post by kimall » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:57 pm

Thanks for all the best wishes guys and to answer the quiry's he does live in Bundy and does have internet access as he is a member on here. :x He even sent Glenn an email to say it would be a week late paying and now wont respond to Glenns attempts to contact him.I know who he is and he has seen this post so I hope he now realizes he can not get away with this and contact myself or Glenn to get this sorted.Everyone has been very helpful I even had one guy from up that way offer to go and COLLECT the bow or the cash but I am sure it will all sort itself out soon.
Cheers KIM

jape

#15 Post by jape » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:24 pm

Good work Kim!
Well the guy may be a thief but he may also have a good reason and be ill or simply embarrassed and trapped by circumstances and just didn't have the bottle to face it or the consequences, he's cornered now so give him some room. I know the original post was to support Glenn and that is only right, I'm not knocking that and think it shows what a good community this is - but in my experience few people are out and out rip-off merchants especially when they know they are known by others! These things can become witch-hunts too quickly. I hope it works out well for ALL involved, life is too short.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#16 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:26 pm

Great post Jape and I agree.

Jeff

kimall

#17 Post by kimall » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:36 pm

I agree 100 % mate the ball is in his court now so we will see what happens.If he wants to ring me he can send me a PM and I will give him my number.It is nothing personal and I am happy to help in any way to get this sorted.
Cheers KIM

pdccr

#18 Post by pdccr » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:39 pm

Thats the good things about glenns bows, everyone knows a great bow when they see one and cant resist going to check it out. Like someone said, he cant hide it forever. And if you are reading this, you will be forgiven if you just pay up or contact glenn or kim. Being Honest will save your bum sometimes, believe me i know from expereince.
Cheers, Toby

kimall

#19 Post by kimall » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:49 pm

OK I have been contacted by the person in question and things are being resolved as we speak so all looks to be heading in the right direction. :D I will keep you all posted.
Cheers KIM

otis.drum

#20 Post by otis.drum » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:54 am

thats great. and good on you whoever you are, it may have taken some encouragement but your doing the right thing.

i'm sure glenn will be pleased too.

otis.
...otis...

Gringa Bows

#21 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:47 am

Glad to hear it's working out,................Rod

pdccr

#22 Post by pdccr » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:46 am

Thats great news, if your reading this mate you must be feeling alot better huh?
Cheers, Toby

Glenn

#23 Post by Glenn » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:40 am

I don't want the money, I just want the bow back now and in the same condition as when it was purchased. I don't want to go into the details about the transaction as it is all too messy now, but I will settle for nothing less than the bow now...Glenn...

pdccr

#24 Post by pdccr » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:44 am

Thats fair enough, after all it was your bow.
Cheers, Toby