Now They Want Compound Bows Banned!

General Hunting News & Alerts. The place for posting and reading about what's happening in the world of hunting, for finding out what our Friends & Foes are up to, and how we are responding.

Moderator: Moderators

erron

Now They Want Compound Bows Banned!

#1 Post by erron » Wed Dec 24, 2003 8:25 am

I received the following email from Dennis La Varenne yesterday:

Code: Select all

Sent: Monday, December 22, 2003 5:16 PM
Subject: FW: Important information on Government proposal to prohibit compound hunting bows

To all,

I hope that all of you are aware of this. Please pass it on to the relevant people. ABA, AAA and 3D AAA will need to lobby the Police Ministers on this, especially Senatory Ellinson, Federal Customs Minister and Attorney General I believe.

I will pass this email on to the Shooting Sports Council of Victoria.

Dennis La Varenne

-----Original Message-----
From: Stuart.Atkins@ipaustralia.gov.au [mailto:Stuart.Atkins@ipaustralia.gov.au]
Sent: Monday, 22 December 2003 4:43 PM
Subject: Important information on Government proposal to prohibit compound hunting bows

Dear Archery Associations. 

This year the Australian Police Ministers Council and officials from the Federal Attorney General's Department has been reviewing the regulation of the use of crossbows within Australia.  Crossbow Australia has been following this review and making submissions on this issue to the Council and Police Ministers.  As part of this process we have been consulting with the Attorney General's Department on the outcomes of each Council meeting. 

At the November 2003 Council meeting, Police Ministers raised a new issue that I believe you should be informed about.  The Police Ministers have requested an investigation of the merits of prohibiting the use of compound hunting bows.   

In view of the seriousness of this issue I arranged to discuss this issue with officials from the Attorney General's Department on 8 December 2003 to find out more information on this review.  Let me say from the outset, that neither I nor Crossbow Australia in discussing this issue with the Attorney General's Department intend to represent the interests of the other national archery organisations concerned but rather to find out initial information for distribution to you so you can be aware of the matter and act accordingly.  However, I will continue to discuss these issues with the relevant officials on behalf of my organisation and my club. 

My discussions were as follows.  I provided copies of commercial brochures so that they could see what types of bows (recurve, compound and longbows) are on the market at present.  Through these brochures I pointed out the differences (or lack there-of) between hunting and non-hunting bows.  I explained that in many cases the differences are merely the paint schemes.  I also explained that hunting was conducted using all types of bows not just compound bows.  I also provided them with our summary of current legislative provisions that govern archery within Australia to assist them understand how some States regulate bows and hunting. 

It is not easy to see what will be the outcome of this review.  They may recommend that there is no merit in restricting the use of compound bows for hunting or they may go to the other extreme of recommending all bow use to be subject to some form of licence or even the use of bows for hunting be regulated. 

Next steps.  The Firearms Policy Group will be meeting in March 2004 to discuss this issue and report back to the Police Ministers at their July 2004 meeting.  This group includes the managers of the various State/Territory Firearms Registries.  You might want to discuss this matter with them or the Police Minister in your State/Territory.  If you want to contact the Attorney-General's Department their contact person is:  Melinda Cockshutt, Firearms, Criminal Justice Division, Robert Garran Offices, National Circuit, Barton  ACT  2600. 

I will leave it to each organisation to decide how it wants to manage this issue on behalf of your members. 

Yours sincerely 

Stuart Atkins
Vice President 
Crossbow Australia

tel 02-62832509 work

Last edited by erron on Fri Dec 26, 2003 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Griffo

#2 Post by Griffo » Wed Dec 24, 2003 8:56 am

It has begun... :evil: :twisted:

ozlongbow

#3 Post by ozlongbow » Wed Dec 24, 2003 9:23 am

Next - ban pointed sticks. Oh and we better get rid of motor vehicles because gee a lot of people get hurt in them each year.
I feel sick.

So what do we, the denzins of ozbow.net, do from here? My first thought is an email campaign to all members of that review board early in the New Year - we need their address, email and snail mail. This is sheer madness to even contemplate a ban on any form of bow. We need to be reasonable and calm in our response, but respond we must - and will. Trying anything right now may be a waste of time with Xmas- NY holidays but let's start talking about it and making plans - and find out what the associations are doing and lend our voices to it too.
Merry Christmas indeed.
Lindsay
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold of the hearts of men."
Maurice Thompsen, 1878.

Griffo

#4 Post by Griffo » Wed Dec 24, 2003 9:26 am

Here, here!!!

ozlongbow

#5 Post by ozlongbow » Wed Dec 24, 2003 9:40 am

Be interested to see any reports from that meeting re the proposal to look at bow bans - quick search didn't find anything so if anyone has any luck let us know, failing that will contact the Federal Police Minister soon.
Lindsay
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold of the hearts of men."
Maurice Thompsen, 1878.

Buford

#6 Post by Buford » Wed Dec 24, 2003 10:03 am

can't ban cars lindsay, theres $40M per year in fines they can kiss goodbye. who's gonna pay for the ministers holidays, cars, benifits......... not to mention their golden parachute for retierment.
Stupid TV! Be more funny!

erron

#7 Post by erron » Thu Dec 25, 2003 7:54 am

I'll keep all posted on what I'm sent by the association that sent this, and i hope Dennis can stop by and add some light. Lindsay, you're right, the new year is ahsping up as a fight! :evil:

Erron

snakeeater

#8 Post by snakeeater » Thu Jan 01, 2004 3:59 pm

Your first thing to do is to find out who came up with the idea in the first place. Things like this that seem to be minor to the general public but have a significant impact on the hunting/bowhunting population are a common tactic used by the anti-hunting and animal rights groups here in the US.

Try to find out who started it, why they think it is a problem, and any other background information. Once you know who your opponent is you will be much better able to defeat them.

RICKO

#9 Post by RICKO » Thu Jan 01, 2004 6:13 pm

Some good thoughts here from Snakeeater,the anti's throw up these bans all the time,to see if we go off half cocked ( :oops: ),to find out who starts these so called bans should be a help to work out our response.

ozlongbow

#10 Post by ozlongbow » Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:43 am

Snakeeater and Ricko make good points. Now I've done a fairly extensive search of the net to find anything on this and had no luck so far. We really need to know what's been said by whom. Anyone else had time to find anything?
Lindsay
Maurice Thompsen, 1878.

erron

#11 Post by erron » Sun Jan 04, 2004 5:15 pm

Still hoping Dennis will make an appearance soon, Lindsay.

Erron

ozlongbow

#12 Post by ozlongbow » Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:04 am

Been awful quiet on this subject - anyone got any news? Just worried if we (the archery community, not just us ozbow-ers) don't get the info we need and act soon it could slip by us.
Anyone out there heard anything??
Lindsay
Maurice Thompsen, 1878.

doninkaliphornistan

ban of compound bows ...

#13 Post by doninkaliphornistan » Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:17 am

we here in the U.S.A. experience this type of thing daily. with the liberal mindset in almost every aspect of our governing bodies, you cannot begin to believe the list of things what they try to prohibit. :(

as an example: the kaliphornia state legislature wants to ban teflon coated bullets as being "cop killer bullets" because they will allegedly penetrate body armor of law enforcement officers. FACT: not one law enforcement officer has been killed with teflon coated bullets. :evil:

the same legislature want to ban .50 BMG (Browning Machine Gun) rifles (excepting law enforcement and active duty military application) as being "terrorist related weapons of mass destruction." FACT: there has been NO KNOWN OR DOCUMENTED CRIMES PERPATRATED (SP) OR COMMITTED WHILE USING ONE OF THESE UNIQUE RIFLES. :(

i contacted my elected "representatives" about the .50 rifles asking for statstics and reasons for banning the rifles and RECIEVED NOT ONE REPLY FROM 4 "REPRESENTATIVES" I CONTACTED. :(

my point is DO NOT TRUST YOUR "LEGISLATORS" TO DO WHAT IS RIGHT! make sure they do what you wish, not what they wish. :x

keep their feet to the fire! :evil:
when in doubt, run in circles and scream and shout ...

erron

#14 Post by erron » Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:47 am

Yes Don, we are indeed surrounded by the 'banners' :evil:

Erron

ozlongbow

#15 Post by ozlongbow » Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:15 am

Don
And your state is one in the US that's banned the importation and sale of kangaroo products. There's only about a zillion more of them now than before white settlement. sigh.
Is Australia the most over-governed country in the world? Moves in NSW to ban handguns, despite the fact that the number of deaths from LEGAL handguns is miniscule compared to the huge number of crimes with ILLEGAL handguns. Like the ban will reduce the number smuggled in to this country solely for illegal purchase.
I am meeting acting PM John Anderson today. If I can I will ask him about the compound bow ban thing - doubt he will know about it - but won't hurt to ask ... let you all know how I get on.
Lindsay
Maurice Thompsen, 1878.

erron

#16 Post by erron » Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:54 am

You go Lindsay! Give the bugger heaps! :P

Erron

ozlongbow

#17 Post by ozlongbow » Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:36 am

Hey guys
Just got back from meeting John Anderson - nice bloke.
He wasn't aware of the issue and suggested I contact Justice minister Chris Ellison's office. Which I had figured for myself anyway, but at least John didn't bs me just told me dont know, try Chris.
Lindsay
Maurice Thompsen, 1878.