Welcome to Ozbow Jake! (Nomad)

General Hunting News & Alerts. The place for posting and reading about what's happening in the world of hunting, for finding out what our Friends & Foes are up to, and how we are responding.

Moderator: Moderators

gundy

Welcome to Ozbow Jake! (Nomad)

#1 Post by gundy » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:56 am

Welcome mate. Hope you enjoy the lots of reading ahead of you! :)

Nomad
Location: Live in The Rock (south of Wagga NSW) lived in Bourke NSW and Tumut NSW for most of my life.

Re: Welcome to Ozbow Jake! (Nomad)

#2 Post by Nomad » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:15 am

yer thanks for that gundy. i hope i enjoy my time reading too!!!

Jake
It would take a all eternity to learn all there is to know in this world. All we can do is share our knowledge and help others to understand that which we have worked hard to discover in the hope that they will not repeat our mistakes.

Gringa Bows

#3 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:54 am

welcome to the site Jake.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:39 am

Welcome Jake!

Jeff

Backlash

#5 Post by Backlash » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:21 pm

Welcome Jake
Like Gundy said mate Theres plenty to read here :)

Cheers
Neil

Nomad
Location: Live in The Rock (south of Wagga NSW) lived in Bourke NSW and Tumut NSW for most of my life.

#6 Post by Nomad » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:46 pm

cheers guys. ive been a member of TBGA (the bowhunters group of Australia) for a while and never knew this place existed untill gundy got me on to it. i have PLEANTY of questions and i will share my knowledge (or lack of :D ) and advice as often as i possibly can. thanks for making a warm welcome and il see yas around in the not to distant future hopefuly!!!

Jake
It would take a all eternity to learn all there is to know in this world. All we can do is share our knowledge and help others to understand that which we have worked hard to discover in the hope that they will not repeat our mistakes.

Benny Nganabbarru

#7 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:01 pm

G'day Jake! What are you using to throw sticks around at present? Cheers, Ben :D
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

Coach

#8 Post by Coach » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:33 pm

Welcome Nomad :D

Nomad

#9 Post by Nomad » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:05 pm

hahaha, yes ben....about that...:D basically, think of the crappest bow youve ever seen....then times that by 10 . :D im hopefuly going to get a Samick woodsman (or another one, im not too sure yet) within 1 month which will be good. im at the end of my school career :D but have 4 HSC exams to finish yet, then i start work and get some money to buy a new bow. at the moment i have a 30lb full glass bow (not laminate) and is only half decent to shoot with at around 10m, and even then the accuracy is VERY poor. ive never needed another bow before i started the HSC because all the hunting i used to do was carp fishing with it, so yer. now im chasin bigger game and need the flatter shooting and higher fps to even come close to what you guys are poking your arrows at.

now about the new bow....ive never realy given the longbow any thought before and then i saw 'Hammer' (yes Kim, your old bow). and i thought to myself, i rekon that i might have a go at that!!. but i dont know what im looking for. if youve got any suggestions please let me know (recurve or long). im looking for about a 50-55# @ 32" draw (yes, ive got ape ams :D) any help would be greatly appreciated. Gundy alredy suggested the woodsman over the Talon, and ive heard much better feedback on the Woodsman than the Talon.

Cheers, Jake

Benny Nganabbarru

#10 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:09 pm

If your draw is that long, then you'll need at least 62" of recurve, maybe even 64", and 66" of modern longbow or 68" of D-shaped longbow, maybe even 70". You'll also need to get a 45lb @ 28" bow in order to hit about 57lb @ 32", or a 40lb @ 28" bow in order to hit about 52lb @ 28", according to the rough approximation that a bow draws about 3lb per inch after 28". That long draw is awesome on the animals, but it'll complicate bow and arrow selection a little; it's by no means impossible, but just a bit more planning needs to go into it. Have you had a chance to have another traditional bowhunter double-check your draw length? Are there any clubs your way? I don't know anything about those two bows you mentioned getting. If you could attend a shoot or catch-up with somebody to double-check that hell-draw, that'd be good! You'd also get to try a few bows. Cheers, and let us know how you get on. Keep asking questions, and you'll get some good help here, I'm sure. :D
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

Nomad

#11 Post by Nomad » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:51 am

yer, thanks ben. i dont know the EXACT draw length, but i shoot 31" arrows and have to have my bow arm bent otherwise the arros come off the rest :D. i am planning on going down to twin city bowmen club (Aulbry) in 3rd week of Nov, which i do believe is their last shoot for the year. im planning on making my own arrows coz i dont know if i can buy longer ones, the only problem is that i dont even know how to but im keen to learn how. ive got no idea what woods are suitable and WHY they are used. i understand that woods for bows must have longer fibres than other woods because of the flex, but what makes good arrow wood??? thanks for all the comments, its great to be accepted straight away.

Jake

Nephew

#12 Post by Nephew » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:42 pm

Welcome Nomad, hope the site is as informative for you as it has been for me! :D
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

memo

#13 Post by memo » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:30 am

Hey Nomad,
I live in Wagga and have a couple of longbows and recurves, and make my own arrows.
If you'd like to come over one day and shoot my bows and ask some questions, I could help you out with making arrows, and also have some trad dvd's i could lend to you.
Drop me a pm if you're keen.
Memo