Some imbecile shot a Cape Barren goose with an arrow

General Hunting News & Alerts. The place for posting and reading about what's happening in the world of hunting, for finding out what our Friends & Foes are up to, and how we are responding.

Moderator: Moderators

Mick Smith

Some imbecile shot a Cape Barren goose with an arrow

#1 Post by Mick Smith » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:50 pm

Yep, its happened again. Some absolute idiot has taken a pot shot at a fully protected species with an arrow. :?

It was reported today in the 'Geelong Advertiser' newspaper. The incident took place near Lara, a small township about 10 kms from Geelong. The large graphic photos clearly showed a Cape Barren goose with an arrow clean through its chest.

There were no specifics in the newspaper report. There were the usual "cowardly act" comments and the 'most cruel thing I've seen" personal accounts from rangers, vets, etc.

The arrow appeared to be quite short, but it could have been broken. It looked to be a synthetic shaft in the photo. The Cape Barren goose was shot through the chest. It was taken to the local wildlife reserve where the arrow was removed and the goose may recover hopefully. I presume the arrow was fitted with a field point, as I can't imagine it would have survived otherwise.

It makes me sick when these sort of things happen. Here we are, trying to build up the image of archery and bowhunting in the community. We go a long way out of our way to promote archery at every opportunity and all it takes is some imbecile with a bow they've bought on ebay to set us all back to a position where we're worse off than ever. :?

This story doesn't seem to have been 'picked up' by the Melbourne newspapers as yet. Hopefully it won't be.

I don't know what the answer to these ongoing incidents is. :?

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Benny Nganabbarru

Re: Some imbecile shot a Cape Barren goose with an arrow

#2 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:33 pm

:x
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

pommy chris

#3 Post by pommy chris » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:44 am

yep, theres some idiots out there.every now and then somebody here in the uk will get there hands on a crossbow and have a go at a swan.
LONGBOWS HAVE HORNY ENDS.COS IF WE MISS.YOU STILL GET A POKE IN THE EYE.

Coach

#4 Post by Coach » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:22 am

This story doesn't seem to have been 'picked up' by the Melbourne newspapers as yet. Hopefully it won't be.

But posting this type of crap all over the net wont help either :roll: It amazes me that when ever there is some sort of news like this , people cant wait to spread it even further over sites like this ! :x

Buford

#5 Post by Buford » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:35 am

Coach wrote:

But posting this type of crap all over the net wont help either :roll: It amazes me that when ever there is some sort of news like this , people cant wait to spread it even further over sites like this ! :x
Coach, it's not as if we are all on here praising the people responsible. I assume by your statement that you think there are people out there monitoring our site for breeches of animal cruelty legislation? If that is the case, and for all I know, it may well be, I think voicing our disgust over the sheer level of idiocity required to commit such an act, is a good thing. It shows we want to distance ourselves from these types of morons. Don't you think it is better than ignoring it and hoping the media doesn't "kick bowhunting in the guts again"?
Stupid TV! Be more funny!

Trad Bound

#6 Post by Trad Bound » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:37 am

Coach I guess thats another point of view!
I support Mick's concern. Lets try and address it with us being open with our comments of disgust as well. If we keep quiet, does that mean we have no opinion or we support this behave. I think we need to voice our concern too and not sit on the sideline.
Cheers Tony J

Coach

#7 Post by Coach » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:52 pm

Trad Bound wrote:Coach I guess thats another point of view!
I support Mick's concern. Lets try and address it with us being open with our comments of disgust as well. If we keep quiet, does that mean we have no opinion or we support this behave. I think we need to voice our concern too and not sit on the sideline.
Cheers Tony J
Yes it is another point of view , one that is supported by a lot of actual bowhunters .
Sure we need to voice our disgust , but do we also need to put it on the World Wide Web for all to see , especially with comments like this
:?: If ya were so worried about it being picked up , ya wouldn't whack it out there for all to see . :roll:
I say , knock the thread on the head and focus on the good that we bowhunters do . In saying that , I also see a "few" hunting threads on this site , where the Author has posted about their success , only to be ignored :roll: Yet when something bad has happened , people love to jump on it and post away !
It really annoys me when people like to input to the bad threads and ignore the good ones , preaching about all the bad stuff and not encouraging the good stuff .
I have seen instances where someone has bagged an animal and posts on here , they get 100 views and 2 replies , yet when someone does something bad , the worms crawl out and have HEAPS to say !
Lets FOCUS on the GOOD , NOT the BAD we do !

Trad Bound

#8 Post by Trad Bound » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:13 pm

Coach I suggest you look at the people who have replied to the thread and look at their past response rate to good threads. That is me Trad Bound I think me record stands as does Mick Smith and Buford in terms of responding to the good threads.
Cheers TonyJ

Coach

#9 Post by Coach » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:33 pm

Trad Bound wrote:Coach I suggest you look at the people who have replied to the thread and look at their past response rate to good threads. That is me Trad Bound I think me record stands as does Mick Smith and Buford in terms of responding to the good threads.
Cheers TonyJ
Wasnt having a go at you TB .Nor anyone in particular . Just sick and tired of seeing these types of posts , which at one stage , I was guilty of myself :?

Jeffro

#10 Post by Jeffro » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:02 pm

I'd bet money that it is probably a kid or a teenager that shot the goose as you would think an older person would have more sense.

Jaydo

#11 Post by Jaydo » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:18 pm

Jeffro wrote:I'd bet money that it is probably a kid or a teenager that shot the goose as you would think an older person would have more sense.
G'day Jeffro,

thats a bit harsh dont you think, ive met some pretty clued up teenagers on these sorts of places who have more sense than the majority of the population, that stereotype of kids being stupid is getting a bit old dont you think,

i'd put my money on it being some idiot who bought a bow of ebay and thought that theyd try it out on the first thing they had seen

Jayden
A smile is priceless, yet can make so much difference

Jeffro

#12 Post by Jeffro » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:45 pm

Sorry Jaydo I didnt mean to and am not stereotyping kids at all as there are silly people of all ages.

Kids naturally try thing out mate , they experiment you know what I mean and that is the basis of my assumption. Dont take it personally .

I never mentioned the word stupid .

Jaydo

#13 Post by Jaydo » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:03 pm

Jeffro,

i didnt take it personally, i was just arguing the point it could have been anyone,

i totally agree that kids do try to find things out, usually by experimenting, its how we learn, how boring would it be if we learned from a book all the time, you know as well as i do, being in a trade, the best learning you get is by experience, and learning by doing,

but making an assumption, is sort of like saying well this kid did something silly therefore all kids will do something silly,

remember assume makes an ass out of you and me- best advice i ever got really,
jeffro, no insult taken, i was just arguing for the lesser represented groups on here :D us youngens

all in all it was an incredibly stupid thing to do, no matter what we do in the bowhunting world, all it takes is one silly person and all the good work is taken away,

all you have to do is look at port athur, all it took was one person to do something and the laws changed drastically,

not saying that we should change the laws on bows, but things like this could change it

Jayden
A smile is priceless, yet can make so much difference

Brett Finger

#14 Post by Brett Finger » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:34 am

you say a SHORT ARRA ... crossbow??
Kind Regards, Bretto :?:
So long as the new Moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow , so long will the fasicnation of Archery keep hold of the hearts of Men
Foundation member - East Coast TRAD Bowhunters - E.C.T.B - we are smoke, we are rumor
NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him

Gringa Bows

#15 Post by Gringa Bows » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:44 am

it would'nt matter even if we were into throwing boomerangs or something else instead of archery,there would be some body doing the wrong thing and the media picking up on it.imo

Blinkybill

#16 Post by Blinkybill » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:32 am

I recon, considering it was a "short arrow", it was probably a crossbow as those idiots with no knowledge of archery that are into it purely for the killing generally use crossbows as they are easier to use and more like guns. And theyre easier to sneak around because of their smaller size.
But still, regardless of weather it was a crossbow or bow, it was a very stupid thing to do. :x
I also think the penalty for commiting these sorts of crimes to protected and endangered species, etc is not high enough. The person who did it will probably only get a few hundred dollar fine anyway, ad thats if he gets caught.

Ben
Yer, I had a really cool name but someone stole it from me...

NCArcher

#17 Post by NCArcher » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:57 am

There are idiots everywhere. I saw on one of those animal rescue shows the other night where they were reporting on a goose that had been shot with an 'arrow'. It wasn't an arrow, it was a spear from a spear gun but they managed to mention arrow at least ten times.

Len

#18 Post by Len » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:23 pm

I see it was actually a spear from a speargun, yet the media still refer to it as an arrow :x
Hmmmmmmm.............