Vietnam Vetrans Day

General Hunting News & Alerts. The place for posting and reading about what's happening in the world of hunting, for finding out what our Friends & Foes are up to, and how we are responding.

Moderator: Moderators

Brett Finger

Vietnam Vetrans Day

#1 Post by Brett Finger » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:20 pm

is today,
i suppose each generation has a event that strikes at the heart and memorys, for mine it's the Vietnam War....

i distinctly remember being glued to the telly and news papers particualy through my high-school years,to reports of the war in Nam,with uncles and cousiens fighting abroard it was of the up-most inportance.

and has remained as inportant to me today as it was all them years back..

anyhow, just saying Thank You to the brave Aussies that fought and died in defence of our Wonderfull counrty....

Least We Forget.

Kindest Regards, Brett :)
Last edited by Brett Finger on Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
So long as the new Moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow , so long will the fasicnation of Archery keep hold of the hearts of Men
Foundation member - East Coast TRAD Bowhunters - E.C.T.B - we are smoke, we are rumor
NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him

Len

Re: Vietnam Vetrans Day

#2 Post by Len » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:16 pm

Good post Brett. I've been reading a bit on the battle of Long Tan ( hope I spelt that right) what a great effort by our boys.
Hmmmmmmm.............

Jaydo

#3 Post by Jaydo » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:52 pm

yeah the battle of Long Tan is as important as Galipoli,Villers-Bretonneux, and the Somme,

a great acheivement in the face of adversity, well done boys, sure make me proud to be an aussie,

lest we forget

Jaydo
A smile is priceless, yet can make so much difference

Benny Nganabbarru

#4 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:27 pm

>>>>--------------->
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

hardgainer

#5 Post by hardgainer » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:48 pm

Great post Brett... I am sure appreciated by all.

Mick Smith

#6 Post by Mick Smith » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:05 pm

Too true. Our Vietnam Vets deserve our respect and gratitude. They were treated very poorly by many Australians towards the end of our involvement in that war. Hopefully that situation has now been turned around.

The war in Vietnam was a very harrowing time for the soldiers involved. It was the first war where they were basically on front line duty for nearly all their time there. The threat of danger was everywhere. At no time in history, prior to this war were the troops put under the strain of such constant danger. There wasn't a 'front line' as such. It was dangerous no matter where you where. It was the first war where helicopters played a major role in transporting troops and although giving some advantages, it meant they were never far from being involved in the fighting. In previous wars, as terrible as they were, the soldiers at least received some respite behind the battle fronts and they spent a lot of time either walking or being trucked from one location to the next, giving them some additional time away from combat conditions.

Our Vietnam Vets certainly carried on the proud tradition of our Australian fighting forces. Thanks fellas. :wink:

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

mike g

#7 Post by mike g » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:14 pm

I say Semper Fi....
To the Aussie Vets....

Myself....Army 71-73
USMC 75-78
Mike G
www.mikesarcheryleather.com
Maker of Traditional Archery Leather.
Quivers, Armguards, Pouches
Dealer for Rinehart Targets

Brett Finger

THIS IS DISCUSTING

#8 Post by Brett Finger » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:22 am

VIETNAM veterans have opened fire on the Federal Government for making them pay for gallantry awards.

About 100 veterans have had to buy citations awarded for their bravery in the Battle of Long Tan in 1966.

Peter Jamieson, of Sydney's North Rocks, said Delta Company veterans were furious they had to pay $12 for the South Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry unit citation with palm - imported from the US.

The awards were made by the South Vietnamese government in 1967 but were not accepted then by Australia.

The Federal Government approved the citations to be worn in August after an independent review by a panel of retired senior army officers.

The panel also recommended awarding a Star of Gallantry to Major Harry Smith and the Medal of Gallantry for two of his commanders.

Those decorations were free because they were Australian.

"It's taken 42 years to get these (Cross) citations and now we have to pay for them," Mr Jamieson said.

"The Government should pay for it."

Several veterans have already complained to the Government, but Veterans Affairs Minister Alan Griffin said the Government was not responsible for paying for foreign awards - just granting approval.

"It's an issue of principle and that was the correct process," he said.

The president of the 6-RAR Association, Graham Smith, said the service awards, which had been posted to veterans and families through the Long Tan Association, were a "hollow victory" for veterans.

"It would've only cost the Government $1000," he said.

Another annoyed veteran said: "Those blokes in Canberra spend that on morning tea every day."

National RSL president Bill Crews said it was a "mean-spirited approach".

The Battle of Long Tan on August 18, 1966, claimed the lives of 18 Australians, with another 21 wounded when 100 Diggers from the 6th Battalion's Delta Company confronted 1500 enemy troops moving to attack the Australian Task Force base.

THIS IS DISCUSTING
So long as the new Moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow , so long will the fasicnation of Archery keep hold of the hearts of Men
Foundation member - East Coast TRAD Bowhunters - E.C.T.B - we are smoke, we are rumor
NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him

Brett Finger

#9 Post by Brett Finger » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:30 am

The Battle of Long Tan

The newly arrived 1st Australian Task Force established its Phuoc Tuy operations base in 1966 at Nui Dat, a piece of high ground surrounded by rubber plantations.

The Viet Cong had achieved dominion in the province and decided to inflict a politically unacceptable defeat on the Australians. Their plan was to lure the Australians from their base by firing recoilless rifle and mortar shells into it. They theorised that the Australians would sweep the area around the base in an attempt to stop the attacks, and the Viet Cong would ambush the sweeping forces.

On the night of 16/17 August 1966, the Viet Cong fired a barrage of shells into Nui Dat, wounding 24 Australians. Prior to this event, the Australians had become aware, from radio intercepts and sightings, that a large enemy force was operating close to the base. Australian patrols sent out specifically to find the Viet Cong had not encountered the force.

On 18 August 1966 D Company of 6RAR was patrolling in the area of the Long Tan rubber plantation when, at about 3.15pm, the lead platoon (11 Platoon, commanded by 2Lt Gordon Sharp, a national serviceman) encountered a small group of Viet Cong who fled leaving one of their number killed by the Australians. The aggressive patrolling continued until, at about 4.08pm, the main body of the Viet Cong 275 Regiment was encountered. The Viet Cong attacked vigorously with mortars, rifle and machine gun fire.

In pouring rain, the Australians returned fire with platoon weapons and artillery which was firing from the Nui Dat base, some five kilometres to the west. Close air support was also called for but couldn't be used because the target was unable to be identified accurately in the conditions.

At 5pm D Company's commander, Major Harry Smith, radioed for ammunition resupply. Two RAAF Iroquois helicopters which happened to be at Nui Dat to transport a concert party were tasked and flew at tree top level into the battle area where they successfully delivered the sorely needed boxes of ammunition.

The combination of aggressive fire from D Company soldiers plus devastating artillery fire from Nui Dat had swung the battle in the Australians' favour but the Viet Cong continued to manoeuvre to gain the upper hand. Meanwhile, A Company of 6RAR had been ordered to move to the support of the beleaguered D Company.

They did so mounted in armoured personnel carriers from 1st APC Squadron which forded a flooded stream and then shortly afterward encountered a substantial enemy force. 2 Platoon of A Company dismounted and advanced on the enemy who fled.

Although the Viet Cong could still be seen massing in failing light at 6.55pm as the relief force arrived in the D Company area, the enemy force melted away as darkness descended. The battle of Long Tan was over.

The Australians consolidated their position for the night and then commenced evacuation of their wounded using the lights from APCs to guide in helicopters. During the night the Viet Cong cleared many of their wounded and dead from the battle field. A number of the wounded Australians lay there all through the long terrifying night, as the Viet Cong moved around them.

Morning revealed that the Viet Cong force, estimated at 2,500, had been badly mauled. 245 Viet Cong bodies were found in the battle area. It was apparent that the Viet Cong commanders had failed to appreciate the effectiveness of artillery fire and had paid dearly as a result.

The Australians had lost 18 killed, 17 from D Company (including the young platoon commander of 11 platoon) and one from 1st APC Squadron, and 24 wounded.

The above account has been compiled primarily from information contained in Diggers - From 6 June 1944 to 1994 by George Odgers.

TEX

#10 Post by TEX » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:23 am

I had a client named Michael G.... I can remember some of this story that he told me 10 years ago.
He was 18 years old when he was fighting in Vietnam. He told me when he was there he fought in Long Tan. If I remember the story correctly he said that they new the viet cong were coming but they had to bug in and defend their position. I think he said that the odds were somewhere around 750 viet cong to 250 Australian troops. I remember him saying that he was shooting at the viet cong when his gun flew from his hand as a bullet tore his index finger off and he was hit in the stomach and then he collapsed as his knee was hit as well. He said the last thing he remembered was one of his friends dragging him to safety. His friend was hacking viet cong as they tried to rush them.

I can not describe this situation anywhere near the way Mick told me, but I remember I was totally blown away with the story. These men had to endure so much. The way he explained what happened still gives me goose bumps.

Our government has a lot to answer for.
I think they forget that our armed forces are made up with people with feelings and family.

God bless and thanks to all our Soldiers.

kerrille

#11 Post by kerrille » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:29 pm

another battle is the battle of coral balmoral in may 68, 24 aussies died in that everyone talks about long tan and they should but never for get the others .

...nev...
i hunt animals because they have legs and can run away ................plants dont

TEX

#12 Post by TEX » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:37 pm

I totally agree with you Nev

The ANZAC's Was one battle that should never have been but the boys fought on.
Dakoda what a story there.
The sad thing is there are too many stories to tell.

hardgainer

#13 Post by hardgainer » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:24 pm

Great to see you post this Brett...I have hiked the Battle Fields of Central Nam ( RC 19 )Pleiku..Kontum...Dak To.. in memory of family lost. So many people will never know what a task these men were given. The NVA.. Viet Cong' .. Viet Minh.. were amongst the the toughest and most battle hardend troops one could encounter . Long Tan was a encounter that will stand always tall.

Coach

#14 Post by Coach » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:02 pm

Being ignorant of such things , can someone please tell me why we went to this war ? Were they invading Australia ?

Len

#15 Post by Len » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:02 pm

Coach, we weren't under direct threat but a lot of our Asian nieghbours were if the commies hadn't been met head on, and who knows where it would have ended up.
Hmmmmmmm.............

Brett Finger

#16 Post by Brett Finger » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:29 am

kerrille wrote:another battle is the battle of coral balmoral in may 68, 24 aussies died in that everyone talks about long tan and they should but never for get the others .

...nev...
Nev,
i guess the reason that Long Tan is paramount to me is due to the fact i had friends and family fighting in Nam.

this of corse does not deject the fight @ coral balmoral or any other engagements ( that we know, and dont know about :wink: ) where the Aussie sprit/ tenesity/ determination and plain old Balls has supast ovewhealming odds to dominate the engagements.... :!:

Kindest Regards, Fing

Nephew

#17 Post by Nephew » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:26 pm

Coach, IMHO Australian soldiers were sent into harms way in Vietnam for the same reason as any other soldiers
who were there-because powerful people from both sides of politics told lies, from the Tonkin Gulf "incident" to Cambodia and Laos ! History has a way of repeating itself, doesn't it? :(
There was no communist threat to Australia or any other western nation, it was a nationalist, civil war of the Vietnamese that had carried on since the French fought the Viet Mihn in the 40/50's. Communist China & marginally, the U.S.S.R. were indeed backing the North with materiel support, just as the Capitalist West were providing the same in the South, along with "military advisors" :roll: . The poor bastards were just pawns in the the great hairy-chested, sabre rattling, testosterone riddled game of boys throwing stones that was the Cold War.
Yet again the working class are sent to fight for ruling class folly, it makes me sick! :x
I personally believe WW2 was the only war in the last century or so that was fought for the right reasons, and for once, the lies and machinations of the rich and powerful were unnecessary.
I have a deep and abiding respect to those that fought, and feelings of deep honour and regret for those that gave all. I agree with Mick Smith, those that served were treated abominably by the Australian public (and Govt. which is even worse!)and deserved way better.But for the politicians that sent them-I have nothing but contempt!
Lest we forget.
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

GrahameA

#18 Post by GrahameA » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:26 am

Hi Craig
Moreton wrote: it was a nationalist, civil war of the Vietnamese that had carried on since the French fought the Viet Mihn in the 40/50's.
May I suggest it was much older than that. Going back at least a thousand plus years whereby the country swayed between some form of foreign domination and some form of independence.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Nephew

#19 Post by Nephew » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:40 am

Thanks, Grahame. I wasn't aware of that, have now looked deeper. Same basic point, though. These people have been the victims of others ambitions for a very long time. We are so lucky to have been born in this place, in this time, huh?
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!